HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:54 PM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
864 Posts
Discussion
hobbyking inc motor thread.

i had a look around and cant find much out about these motors. they look very similair the the os sf series. i have just bout the 46 to go into a used bipe that i have just aquired. they are a standard abc motor and for about $60 i dont reckon you can go wrong. the motor and the reast of the order should be arriving in a few weeks (postage is by registered international air mail) and just in time for christmas. has any body had any experiences? any thoughts on them? am i the only test guinnea pig or has somebody else also bought one? this will also be my first new engine. the rest of my collection have all been aquired used. they seem to be new in the range as they are all still in stock.
scrub monkey is offline Find More Posts by scrub monkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:28 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,606 Posts
I have tried some of their ASP engines out and they work OK. It used to be that the engines were OK, but the carbs weren't very good. But nowadays they seem to be getting better carbs on the engines. So you will likely have no problems using the engines.
I am currently using a ASP 1.80 two stroke glow engine in a big plane. It is working OK.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Dec 01, 2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Correct a typo
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:45 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
1,006 Posts
The ASP engine is also known as the Magnum in the USA and as ASP or SC in the rest of the world. Basically Sanye makes the same engine with different badges for different areas of the world. As Earlwb says the carbs are iffy. But putting a piece of tubing that covers the smooth areas of the needle valve and valve body is the only fix I have needed with these engines (I have .46, .61, .90 and 1.20). The tolerances in this area a little loose and air leaks past the needle was or could be a problem.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:47 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
864 Posts
can you post a pic of how the fuel tubing over the needle ive heard of doing this but havent seen it. these are obviously different to the leo motors. the only place for problems on these types of motors are the carbies. ill make sure to have a few o rings on hand.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:17 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
1,006 Posts
Here is the picture you wanted (hopefully). You don't need much. Just make sure the cut sides are parallel so it hits the edge of the needle valve body. You do have to take the ratchet spring off, but the tubing will give you the resistance needed to keep the mixture from changing.,
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:25 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
864 Posts
thanks. i was wondering how to get it on with the ratchet on. ill make sure to do that if it doesnt want to run
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:57 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,606 Posts
I only had to use the short piece of XL tubing on a couple of the ASP .61 four stroke engines. The other engines I ran worked OK as is.

Basically the needle exhibit false needle settings and just barely touching it would change the needle setting a lot too.

You can see it here in this pic.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:49 AM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
I bought a ASP 46 last year (2 Stroke) to put on a trainer. The quality is very poor but for some reason it refuses to blow up yet. The piston is extremely tight at TDC even after about a gallon of fuel, and at TDC the rod is obviously very loose. The thing just keeps running, we figure if it finally throws a rod then oh well.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:20 AM
Istanbul, Turkey
Joined Aug 2004
847 Posts
I recommend to have a ASP 52 beyond others(even .60).It s a 4 star engine and very powerful.Only thing you should do is to remove remote needle and put it on carb(replacing with the tap on carb).
turk1 is offline Find More Posts by turk1
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:00 AM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
864 Posts
this motor will be going into a model of what i believe to be a pitts special or something similar. i got it free so it will be my first bipe also
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:02 AM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
579 Posts
The INC .46 is a Taiwan made engine.

It bears no relation to the Sanye line, which are made in mainland China.

I suspect it is made by the same concern as the LEO engine, from Taiwan, sold as Megatech and Mecoa in the USA.

I would be most interested in your report Scrub Monkey. It seems the engine has received some refinements including a true ABC piston / liner.
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:17 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,231 Posts

Both engines are sold side-by-side by HobbyKing.

INC

Leo

They do look very much alike, though. The INC does seem to be an OS SF clone.
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:51 AM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
864 Posts
it was mentioned in the discussion so i checked it out against a sf. they are very similair. my other glow engines are an os 46 la, super tigre g51, and an os 60 fsr. the bipe i worked to to come in around the high end of 2kg bordering on 3kg. this is woking on the wieght of the air frame and some quick calculations on the wieght of components. the ws is 125cm and the chord is approx 25cm. the top wing is swept back and set approx 50mm infront at the centre on the le. ill try and get a couple of photos and put them up. i reckon a 10x8 apc should be ok on the motor. i reckon a big difference in between the leo and the inc will probably be materials. i havent got a leo so i cant compare it to one of them but hopefully it turns up before the 16th thatway i will be able to compare it to an asp at a fly in at my old club. i know one of the fellas has one there.if it is any decent it will be interesting if some other people get them and see if they are consistent and not a $60 hit or miss gamble.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:40 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeenut View Post
I bought a ASP 46 last year (2 Stroke) to put on a trainer. The quality is very poor but for some reason it refuses to blow up yet. The piston is extremely tight at TDC even after about a gallon of fuel, and at TDC the rod is obviously very loose. The thing just keeps running, we figure if it finally throws a rod then oh well.
The ABC types of engines are very tight at top dead center. That is normal.
As the engine heats up the cylinder taper straightens out as it expands and the engine runs correctly then. So that extremely tight pinch like feel when you flip the prop is normal. One thing though is to not incessantly flip the prop a lot. As it can cause the piston to wear prematurely when the engine is cold.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:36 PM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
I've been flying for near 30 years, there are engines that are tight and then there is this 46, the piston is so tight it squeeks at TDC and gets stuck even when piping hot. That and the rod is noticably loose, so much that you can hear it at low and mid RPM's, it's just a cheap crap OS knockoff. My theory (joking) is that the chinese look at products made in the rest of the world through a telescope in space. They have no idea how a thing should run, taste, feel, smell, walk, talk or anything else, just how it looks. Japan learned fast and ended up making quality stuff in a very few short years, the chinese just plain don't care.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut