SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:17 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
Finally got around to picking one of these up, been wanting one since they came out. Got it yesterday when it was nice and windy, and as Cheese5 just mention, this thing doesnt do so well in the wind! Keeps you on your toes though, makes for good reflexes.

Tonight the winds finally died down though, got a few more packs run through it. I had to open her up and move the aileron linkage on the bellcrank to the inner hole to get a better roll and adjust the rudder and elevator control horn/linkage placement, but otherwise shes a nice little flyer. I think I'll be doing some mods though, converting it to the late Galloping Ghost sounds fun. New non-underchambered and slightly chopped balsa wing with less dihedral, smoothed body lines, and 2S or 3S brushless setup. Zoom zoom!

Anyway, here's some footage of tonights flight. Towards the end of the video I did manage to get a little water touch and go, dangerously fun!

Nick

Parkzone UM P-51 water touch and go (4 min 5 sec)
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:08 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,572 Posts
awesome flying man ! i think i'm going to try to find a good used one, and do a little modding on it
KCinNC is online now Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:09 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_builder View Post
Finally got around to picking one of these up, been wanting one since they came out. Got it yesterday when it was nice and windy, and as Cheese5 just mention, this thing doesnt do so well in the wind! Keeps you on your toes though, makes for good reflexes.

Tonight the winds finally died down though, got a few more packs run through it. I had to open her up and move the aileron linkage on the bellcrank to the inner hole to get a better roll and adjust the rudder and elevator control horn/linkage placement, but otherwise shes a nice little flyer. I think I'll be doing some mods though, converting it to the late Galloping Ghost sounds fun. New non-underchambered and slightly chopped balsa wing with less dihedral, smoothed body lines, and 2S or 3S brushless setup. Zoom zoom!

Anyway, here's some footage of tonights flight. Towards the end of the video I did manage to get a little water touch and go, dangerously fun!

Nick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJvwJaoVIWU
Your video made me jump a couple of times! The risk of losing the ultra micro mustang in the waters is just too great for me! But I've done touch and goes on the glass like what you did on water, skim the grass for a couple seconds and then pull out of it. Makes me want my mustang back! I think HH is going to release a warbird/military airplane with the new stabilization system in it, that would be great!
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:29 AM
Searching Field
Joined Oct 2011
64 Posts
Great vids !

This P51 is perhaps the micro-plane with whom I had the most fun.
If you put 240mAh LiPo, the flight experience is intense !!

You can find my complete review of this Mustang and other flying's stuff here:
www.matterhorns.ch
DOCFIGHT is offline Find More Posts by DOCFIGHT
Old Oct 29, 2011, 01:37 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
Thanks guys. I've completely submerged my PZ Night Flyer once before (little gust of wind rolled it over right before touch down...sank almost a foot), but killing the throttle, letting go of the sticks, unplugging the lipo and hosing it all down with some WD-40 ASAP saved the entire plane and battery - the Night Vapor was flying again later that evening. Knowing there's a good chance that the RX can handle some water makes it not quite so unnerving

I've nearly completed the Galloping Ghost conversion on mine, new wing and tail, about to carve a plug for the heat shrink canopy, a few other nips and tucks and some paint and she'll be a new bird. I'll post it when its done.

Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:36 PM
United States, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
Hello everyone,

the UM P-51 is my second plane, i graduated from the champ!!

and good tips on fixing the landing gear? and good glue to use? i broke the plastic piece.

also when i try to barrel roll, i loose altitude and heading....and i've seen videos where the roll seems pretty quick and easy....i use a dx5 radio....maybe roll rates adjustment? or try on the hi rate on the dx5?

thanks!
minchomexa is offline Find More Posts by minchomexa
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:13 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minchomexa View Post
Hello everyone,

the UM P-51 is my second plane, i graduated from the champ!!

and good tips on fixing the landing gear? and good glue to use? i broke the plastic piece.

also when i try to barrel roll, i loose altitude and heading....and i've seen videos where the roll seems pretty quick and easy....i use a dx5 radio....maybe roll rates adjustment? or try on the hi rate on the dx5?

thanks!
What part of the landing gear broke? The metal, black gear? Or the little plastic nut holding the wheel in?

You need to add down elevator while inverted and up elevator while upright. The mustang has an undercamber wing so it doesn't generate enough lift while inverted. Also use your rudder to adjust your heading before the roll and after. 100% rates would make the roll slightly faster, along with more throttle.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
the plastic part where the wire clips into. i can see the glue spot on the foam.

will try that, im usually cruising at 30% throttle, since im still getting used to handling it. i've read about adjusting the roll rate crank case....but i dont want to mess with that....yet.

thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:08 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,385 Posts
Quote:
the plastic part where the wire clips into. i can see the glue spot on the foam.

will try that, im usually cruising at 30% throttle, since im still getting used to handling it. i've read about adjusting the roll rate crank case....but i dont want to mess with that....yet.

thanks.
Just use foam safe glue (gorilla glue, foam safe CA, hot glue anything that doesn't melt foam) to glue that in. Use only what you need since every gram counts on this micro.

Don't mess with the crank yet, some mustang flyers have had jammed aileron servos since there is too much resistance while on high rates (mechanical and on the TX). You will want to have full throttle to do a barrel roll with the mustang. 30% is too less, good for cruising, but not enough for rolls.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
success! well, sort of...rolls perfect at higher speeds and 100% rate, even immelmans!! but i got too daring and crashed on grass...now im looking for tips to fix the spinner (the yellow and black part) since it came loose and wobbly. i just took it off and flew without it for a little while longer....
thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:10 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,385 Posts
Quote:
success! well, sort of...rolls perfect at higher speeds and 100% rate, even immelmans!! but i got too daring and crashed on grass...now im looking for tips to fix the spinner (the yellow and black part) since it came loose and wobbly. i just took it off and flew without it for a little while longer....
thanks.
You can expand it close to original shape, by pouring boiling water over the nose cone. To have it last longer, coat it with a thin layer of CLEAR epoxy. That forms a protective layer around the foam.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:12 PM
United States, OH, Marysville
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Second Ultra Micro on the Way!

Just ordered my second micro after the Champ, Had to be the Mustang!!! I just flew one on a simulator at the LHS and it seemed easy enough to transfer from 3 to 4 channels (although I am sure the simulator is easier than the real thing). Any tips for a newbie to 4 channels? Have been browsing this site and there are many good topics and threads. Thanks to all who have contributed.
RCNewb is offline Find More Posts by RCNewb
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:36 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCNewb View Post
Just ordered my second micro after the Champ, Had to be the Mustang!!! I just flew one on a simulator at the LHS and it seemed easy enough to transfer from 3 to 4 channels (although I am sure the simulator is easier than the real thing). Any tips for a newbie to 4 channels? Have been browsing this site and there are many good topics and threads. Thanks to all who have contributed.
Buy a couple hyperion or thunderpower batteries, you'll want to fly more. Also remember you don't need the rudder to turn (well you can use it for coordinated turns, but you can yank and bank to get started), just bank a few degrees and pull on the elevator. Good luck! Don't fly recklessly.
Old May 01, 2012, 06:38 PM
United States, OH, Marysville
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Buy a couple hyperion or thunderpower batteries, you'll want to fly more. Also remember you don't need the rudder to turn (well you can use it for coordinated turns, but you can yank and bank to get started), just bank a few degrees and pull on the elevator. Good luck! Don't fly recklessly.
I do already have a few mini aviation 190's that I was using in my champ that I think should do well in the mustang as well. If i am not flying recklessly then I'm not flying! Haha. I am just hoping this p-51 holds up as well to my abuse as the champ!
RCNewb is offline Find More Posts by RCNewb