HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2014, 06:43 PM
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
Build Log
A Neo Build / Helping a newbie

Hey guys I am going to start a Neo build log...

This is my first adventure into DLG or any gliding.
I have purchased a Neo kit through RC groups and would like some help with the building and assembly portion.

Currently I am looking to find a Build clinic DVD, so if anyone has any of these DVD's that would like to pass them on, feel free to pm me for offer.

Remember that I am brand new to assembly and or building with raw materials like this. Please go easy on me

Here is what I have...

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I also have a new in box Frsky taranis that I have been fooling around with a bit.

And some materials like foam safe CA and 5 min epoxy, but I think I need some other materials too.

Where should I start?
PipeDreaming is offline Find More Posts by PipeDreaming
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2014, 07:05 PM
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
Opps... That was my first post!

Introduction:

Hello guys,

My Name is Derrick. I live in the Canadian Rockies.
Stumbled across DLG sometime last year when I was getting tired of playing with my Axial Wriath. Well, Sold the wraith for funding a DLG. And this is what I bought!
My father flew RC gas planes before he had "The kids" (My sisters and I).
As of a couple years ago he has got back into flying a bit.

Who wants to help me make this art fly?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 07:11 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Haarlem
Joined Oct 2011
77 Posts
Hi Derrick,

First of all, welcome to DLG.

I see you chose a 2S lipo.
The Hyperion 09- servos are not rated for 2S.
They can be run at 2S however, but you need to program the servos so they only operate at 60% of their nominal speed.
You can do this by purchasing the USB servo-programmer from Hyperion.

I have 4 of the hyperion 09-SCD (I prefer them to the GMD, because metal gears always have a little slop, the nylon gears of the SCD series are much tighter and have no slop) and operate them at the said 60% speed on 2S, works perfectly.

Remklep
Remklep is offline Find More Posts by Remklep
Old Jul 20, 2014, 07:23 PM
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
Hello Remklep,

Thanks for the response.

I have a 5 volt regulator that came with it, is this not what it is used for?
So I should get some SCD servos for a tighter feeling plane?
Is Hyperion the only place to get this programmer?

I need to make a material order very soon for glass and a couple other things. I live in Canada so I would like to grab everything I need at once, any input is appreciated!

Derrick
Old Jul 20, 2014, 07:53 PM
sticks2sticks
United States, CA, Yreka
Joined Oct 2011
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDreaming View Post
Hello Remklep,

Thanks for the response.

I have a 5 volt regulator that came with it, is this not what it is used for?
So I should get some SCD servos for a tighter feeling plane?
Is Hyperion the only place to get this programmer?

I need to make a material order very soon for glass and a couple other things. I live in Canada so I would like to grab everything I need at once, any input is appreciated!

Derrick
The regulator is for the battery. The gear you have will be fine. RC Builder sells a good magnet set for your push rod tube install. Get a 4 channel receiver for room reasons. There are many build logs on this forum that will give you help on joining the wings. TopSky thread, arrow pro build log and more.

Wait for your second or third or fourth to sink serious money into one. It is easy.
mgallian is offline Find More Posts by mgallian
Old Jul 22, 2014, 05:19 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Haarlem
Joined Oct 2011
77 Posts
Hello Derrick,
Like mgallian said, the gear you have chosen is fine, what I wrote is just my personal opinion.

But I must say, that I don't like to use voltage regulators in DLG's, they get hot and there is no cooling in a DLG.
If a voltage regulator gets too hot, it shuts down to cool, that means, nothing gets power, not good.
And a regulator adds weight.

In my opinion a better solution would be to get the hyperion programmer and reprogram your GMD servos to 60% speed and run them directly of 2S, like I do with my SCD servos.

Remklep
Remklep is offline Find More Posts by Remklep
Old Jul 22, 2014, 06:26 AM
New Zealand, Marlborough, Hawkesbury
Joined May 2010
229 Posts
PipeDreaming
First thing you should do is watch all of Seba's 'how to' You Tube videos. See link below for V-mount and tailplane.
Neo V-mount and stab dry fitting (10 min 32 sec)

If you click on the YT link in the bottom right hand corner of the screen you should find the other videos in the series listed down the right hand side of your computer screen.

Watch each of the videos at least twice before starting work on each part of the build. You may need to go back and watch them again as you progress through the build.

I notice your wing is in two halves, which is interesting, as I thought Seba supplied all his dlg wings ready joined. The best video I have seen for joining dlg wings is the Radio Carbon Art series produced by Paul Naton - you can find them for sale in the Classifieds section of RCG. Get the 'Handlaunch Building Clinic' video and watch it several times - then join the wing just like Paul does. His methods are tried and tested.

Have fun.
fishbed is offline Find More Posts by fishbed
Old Jul 22, 2014, 02:35 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,719 Posts
There are a bunch of videos and info here-

http://flightcomp.com/shop/neo-dlg-full-stblue/

Build thread here-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=neo
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:07 AM
It's GoTime all the Time
United States, CA, Portola
Joined Nov 2011
186 Posts
Hello Derrick

I went with the 1s 900mah round cell from Hobby King or the 1200mah is way on programing of servos needed or BEC/UBEC/ voltage regulators.

I also used the DR4 II from FrySky .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=DR4+II

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...und_lipo_.html
gotime360 is offline Find More Posts by gotime360
Last edited by gotime360; Jul 23, 2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 07:20 PM
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies and points. Looks like I may have some more planning to do.
I am working on getting the Radio Carbon Art Builders clinic. And since I haven't built something like this I am also looking to compile some materials, odds and ends that will be needed. So far I have 2 oz glass and micro balloons in the list, any other things to add before I make a order? Sorry for asking you guys to hold my hand, but it's the truth. I'm new to this but confident in myself.

Thanks again guys
I'm in this one for the long haul.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 08:02 PM
New Zealand, Marlborough, Hawkesbury
Joined May 2010
229 Posts
+1 for the HK 900mAh 1s. It fits in the nose easily, does not require a regulator and will give you at least 2 hours flying before needing charging. I have to add about 5g lead ballast (taped to the battery) to achieve the optimum C of G position. But I use guitar string in teflon for my tail surfaces, so if you prefer a spring/string set up you might not need the extra nose ballast.

They are also cheap and readily available, but you will need to solder on your own connector for the Rx as they come without one fitted.
fishbed is offline Find More Posts by fishbed
Old Jul 24, 2014, 08:10 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,384 Posts
Supplies

ANother thing is good epoxy, at the least hobby shop laminating, and much better West Marine, MGS or Resin Research. Where you live may dictate what you can find.

Then an accurate gram scale preferrably one with 0.01 gram resolution succh as this

http://www.staples.com/office/suppli...771&KPID=44771

which is out of stock right now. My scale only shows 0.10 gram & I wish it was more accurate, since I mostly use only small quantities of epoxy.

Also the small plastic 1 to 2 oz or so serving cups for mixing epoxy, seen at some fast food places (el Pollo Loco has them here) for condiments. Also available at the Costco business center for about 1 cent each in packs.

BP
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:13 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,091 Posts
Not to bash your choice of servo, but the (ds09) GMD is their speed version and is subject to striping from hangar rash (I went through three of them before switching). The AMD (torque) is the "workhorse" version, and is more resilient. Not saying don't use what you have, just be careful handling the wing and if/when you do strip one, go ahead and replace them with at least the AMD's (if the SCD isn't available), or u don't want to spend the extra $$).
Triggerhappy is offline Find More Posts by Triggerhappy