SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 27, 2013, 05:23 PM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
723 Posts
Discussion
Brushless Twin Pico (highly hacked)

Brushless Twin Pico Stick
Well...I'm just about ready to "maiden" my newest experiment.
I have been having a ball "hacking" numerous Pico sticks, and have several dual aileron, brushless wonder motors, and even a wing!...etc...anyway....this is my first attempt at a twin conversion.

One of my best flying conversions is a dual aileron Pico, single motor with flying weight coming in at 9.1 oz....and all of these "hacked" jobs fly really really well!

This twin comes in at 14.3 oz....so I wanted to take some photos to "memorialize" the build in the event it does not survive the "re-entry".
Coming in at 150% more weight, but 200% more thrust than a Pico rocket I've already got in the fleet is going to probably be a handful.

Its been a kick..LOTS of small custom components....can't wait until the 3D printers are more affordable!!
I'll post "after maiden" results in a week or so...waiting for counter rotating props.
Ralph Matile
rpm3 is online now Find More Posts by rpm3
Last edited by rpm3; Sep 27, 2013 at 11:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2013, 06:44 PM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
723 Posts
I received my counter rotating 8x4.3 GWS props, and bench tested the power system. The flying weight is 14.5oz

Using a 3 1300 mah cell lipo....I was pulling about 11-12 amps combined
110 Watts,
Or about 122 watts/lb
I'm thinkin it ought to have adequate power....
Old Oct 06, 2013, 01:49 PM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
723 Posts
The Brushless Twin Pico flew right out of my hands....and I started with just a few clicks of "DOWN" elevator (nose up) to help in the hand launching.....it flew fantastic actually...no trim necessary.
The speed was slower than I thought it would be....but it flies with "authority".......maybe not unlimited climb...but I didn't push it too much to start....
The one big thing that totally surprised me, was that as while I was putting it through the "stress test", I could NOT make it stall....at throttle off....the glide was straight and true...glides very well...but not a glider.....it loses altitude pretty quickly with the props wind milling, but the forward motion is very slow....making landings really pretty easy....it will take me a few times to master a "flared" landing, but man ...I'm a happy camper.....there were a number of points of concern I had....but everything worked great.....
If my "cameraman" is able to load video...I'll post a link a bit later.....ohhh...and aerobatics...yeah...very very snappy...pretty much anything I wanted...it did....
Old Oct 06, 2013, 08:27 PM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
723 Posts
Short Video

The quality of the video isn't the greatest..I'll get more when my camera man gets one too me!

Twin Brushless Pico Stick (0 min 55 sec)

A couple of good passes tho...
Ralph Matile
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:12 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,793 Posts
Nice flyer. You could give lessons on hand launching.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36