HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:38 PM
United States, OH, Greenville
Joined May 2011
25 Posts
Discussion
New Cowl

Anyone have any tricks for transferring existing screw locations to a new undrilled cowl?
aerofunk is offline Find More Posts by aerofunk
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:22 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,964 Posts
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Last edited by piperjoe; Sep 12, 2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: better idea below
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:53 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,622 Posts
A neat trick I saw some time back is to take long tabs of card stock such as file folder material. Cut it to be about 1.5 inches long by 1/2 wide. Put holes in one end of the tabs and then tape them in place so the holes are over the holes in the model and the tabs extend back along the fuselage. You only tape the BACK ends. Now you can slip the cowl into place with the tabs on the outside and line it all up nicely and tape it in place temporarily. The tabs are now the locators for the holes you need.

It's a neat little trick that involves no fancy measurements and gives you all the time in the world to get things JUST right.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:37 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,964 Posts
A nice idea, Bruce. Once the tabs with holes are taped into place onto the fuselage it's slide the old cowl off and slip the new one in place; nothing else gets moved. We learn something new everyday...

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Sep 12, 2013, 05:47 AM
United States, OH, Greenville
Joined May 2011
25 Posts
It couldn't get any easier than that. Thanks for the help Bruce.

DB
aerofunk is offline Find More Posts by aerofunk
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:43 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,622 Posts
Sad to say that this great "light bulb" idea came in the instructions for an ARF. It's still a massively brilliant method though. I've used the same concept for a few different things in my other building hobbies as well.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:02 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,601 Posts
"Sad to say that this great "light bulb" idea came in the instructions for an ARF. "

Glad to say that it came to being a lot before ARFs even existed. If I had a bit more energy, I would go through all of my "Tom's Techniques" and library of old magazines and eventually locate it, but, "so many airplanes, so little time", and at my age, time gets even littler:-))))))))))

Les
LesUyeda is online now Find More Posts by LesUyeda