Old Jul 12, 2013, 08:49 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,687 Posts
Discussion
<12oz 3D'r

Hi guys;
I've recently acquired one of the QQ Whatzisname's 'Showstopper' motors with the reversible prop. It's specs show it's made for up-to a 12-oz (AUW) plane. Unfortunately the plane it originally came with is apparently no longer made so I'm looking for a substitute.

I'd like it to be slightly overpowered, so my goal is one that'll weigh 10.5 - 11.5oz. AUW. I'd also like it to be capable of outdoor (Park?) stunt flying & light breezes, not the uber-light indoor type. Suggestions?
TIA!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:30 AM
Grass stain your plane.
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Feb 2011
207 Posts
Is that the same as the Eflite Showstopper?
I've had that for a couple years and put it on a few airplanes. The biggest problem is that it is heavier than the motor/ prop that is recommended on light foamys, so you'll have to move the battery back. If the plane isn't strong enough then it will break in half when you reverse it. The best compromise I found was an Electrifly Pluma, I fly it outside in 10mph winds all the time, it is capable of any 3D, it is strong because it has a full fuse so it wont break in half. The down side is that it'll be 12 to 13 oz by the time you get all the extra crap on it so it won't actually fly backward, only stop and dance around.
If someone has found an outdoor setup with this 4D system that actually has the power to reverse then I am all ears.
RAlanBoyle is offline Find More Posts by RAlanBoyle
Last edited by RAlanBoyle; Feb 13, 2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 01:17 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,687 Posts
Ah....so I see you're familiar with the sort of dilemma I'm in. I've got 3 kits now that would be eligible except for the 'taco' problem you noted.

I only saw reference to the 'Showstopper' plane itself one time, in an old-ish magazine article.....but I do believe that's the one. Thanks for the heads-up on the Pluma; I'd looked at that one & it's 3 'sisters' but wanted to test the waters & see what else might be out there.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2013, 01:51 PM
Grass stain your plane.
Joined Feb 2011
207 Posts
I'm betting the an EPP plane at about 32" would be a good way to go. I tried the Electrifly Edge and broke it in half, then I lengthened the control arm and put the servo way back at the tail for balance, and snubbed the nose a bit and It flew well, but not any better than the pluma and it didn't handle wind as well.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 04:14 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,687 Posts
Thanks for that too. The Pluma is #1 on my candidate list thus far.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2013, 04:57 PM
Grass stain your plane.
Joined Feb 2011
207 Posts
I know there are a lot of newer Floamys that are supposed to fly better than the old Electrifly stuff, I just had a bunch of old kits so I haven't bought the newer stuff yet. I don't have any video of the VPP on the Pluma, but I do have some video of what it is capable of in a decent wind. Here is one I shot last fall.
Electrifly Pluma in Strong Wind 3D Crash (4 min 12 sec)
Old Jul 12, 2013, 09:25 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
The Slicko is a very well made kit that fly's great. http://www.rcplanebuilder.com/rc-pla...eries/slicko-i they also have a Slicko II but I don't have one. Would be fun to try a reversible power plant. I try it in a heart beat on a Slicko.
whirlcap is online now Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jul 13, 2013, 06:48 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,035 Posts
The Pluma would probably be a good choice, but any of the 32" EPP foamies would work. The key is to keep the fuselage from twisting during transition from fwd to rear thrust. Here's a pic showing the bracing on my Depron SUltimate. On EPP the bracing should be longer and on all 4 sides.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jul 13, 2013, 05:43 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,687 Posts
I like the lines on that Slicko, for sure -- sharp lookin' plane!
Unfortunately, I see both it & the Ver II show 'Out Of Stock'. Is this kind've normal for that company? Maybe only have them 'now & then'?
(When I got money to spend & am hot-to-trot, I am not the most patient of men.)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:48 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
I like the lines on that Slicko, for sure -- sharp lookin' plane!
Unfortunately, I see both it & the Ver II show 'Out Of Stock'. Is this kind've normal for that company? Maybe only have them 'now & then'?
(When I got money to spend & am hot-to-trot, I am not the most patient of men.)
Hmmm, sorry I didn't notice they are not in stock when I posted the link. The guy that make and sells them is a real nice guy and will no doubt give an honest date that he will have more if you email the site. I have friends that buy from him often and only have the best things to say about him. On that note I flew five packs through my V1 Slicko this morning at the park with my friends and had a great time, still my favorite 3D plane in my hanger out of four. I would love to try a reverseable pitch prop set up on mine, that would be a kick
whirlcap is online now Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:11 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,687 Posts
Ever 'flown' the one in RealFlight? That's the one that got me all fired up initially. I've learned a couple of tricks in there that I'm dying to try RT. Whatever plane I wind up getting, I fully expect it to last maybe 10 minutes. *LOL* Already decided the smart thing to do is go ahead & buy 2 or 3.
RCG Plus Member