HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:01 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
16,324 Posts
Simply awesome start on your 404's nacells Kevin!. . . Have a safe trip buddy!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:02 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,949 Posts
Nacelles - A Bit More Shaping

I did a bit more shaping on the nacelles tonight - working the first one until I have it right before doing the second one. I studied the nacelle shape and determined the very rear part of the nacelle comes together and blends into the top wing panel. Mine might be a bit too far forward but should be close enough. I also made it a bit skinnier in the middle and on top to better match the full-size bird. Still some minor tweaks to do.
I left the top intake port on to help with orientation, it might come off and be replaced with some FFF as it is a bit funky.
The cowl will blend into the rear section at the firewall; if you look at the full-size bird the connection isn't all that clean, plus the cowl flaps will help to cover part as well.
This foam is very soft with large pieces; I'll need to fill in some. Any recommendations? I'll need to pick something up for that. I wish I had better foam to shape but I'm not up to picking up a big sheet just for this - not a lot of shaping left after these are done.
I think the remainder of the wing will come together very quickly once I have these done.
ruff1 is offline Find More Posts by ruff1
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:45 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1 View Post
I did a bit more shaping on the nacelles tonight - working the first one until I have it right before doing the second one. I studied the nacelle shape and determined the very rear part of the nacelle comes together and blends into the top wing panel. Mine might be a bit too far forward but should be close enough. I also made it a bit skinnier in the middle and on top to better match the full-size bird. Still some minor tweaks to do.
I left the top intake port on to help with orientation, it might come off and be replaced with some FFF as it is a bit funky.
The cowl will blend into the rear section at the firewall; if you look at the full-size bird the connection isn't all that clean, plus the cowl flaps will help to cover part as well.
This foam is very soft with large pieces; I'll need to fill in some. Any recommendations? I'll need to pick something up for that. I wish I had better foam to shape but I'm not up to picking up a big sheet just for this - not a lot of shaping left after these are done.
I think the remainder of the wing will come together very quickly once I have these done.
Kevin, my Man! Those Nacells Looks GREAT! try filling in your holes ETC with Light-weight Spackle.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2014, 08:25 AM
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,949 Posts
1/2 pint size of this should do the trick, I also need to do some prep in a room I'm painting:
http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=61
Old Nov 22, 2014, 03:34 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,324 Posts
Quote:
1/2 pint size of this should do the trick, I also need to do some prep in a room I'm painting:
http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=61
Yes Indeed Kev, I use Dap myself . . ..good spackle.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2014, 08:35 PM
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,949 Posts
Yes sir, I picked up some and did the cowls and port top nacelle. The stuff works nice and is very light compared to regular spackle. Now waiting 24 hours to sand. I'll post some pics when I get the first sanding done.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 09:28 PM
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,949 Posts
Finishing up motor mounts, expoxied in some backing nuts. I'm now at the point where I need to install them before progressing the remainder of the nacelle. I studied the cowl and flap system, identifying how many flaps and where they are located. I will use some cut lines at various points to indicate where the flaps are. There is also an inlet on the lower right side which I plan to add as well.
Might just shape the cowl flaps with some in the open position. Hopefully a former 4-0-4 driver is lurking on this thread and can tell me how they used them (all or nothing)?
I'll post some pics a bit later after I get the rear part of the cowl done.
Not much done today except studying the bird to get some of the detail right.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 11:03 PM
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,949 Posts
More progress, albeit not much due to turkey day and other stuff...

I had to add more material to the nacelle so I could get the cowl arc a close approximation to the full-size bird. I took too much off! Anyway, FFF is great for filling in. I used the trick in the pictures to keep the pieces held onto the nacelle while drying.

I think the top inlet will need to be higher so I'll add some FFF and sand that down and transition it in.

The second one will be a lot easier than this one; this was just figuring out things, cutting and taking too much off and redoing things!

My grey matter isn't all that fresh anymore; scratchbuilding where you have to figure it all out has been a real challenge for me.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 11:58 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,324 Posts
Quote:
More progress, albeit not much due to turkey day and other stuff...

I had to add more material to the nacelle so I could get the cowl arc a close approximation to the full-size bird. I took too much off! Anyway, FFF is great for filling in. I used the trick in the pictures to keep the pieces held onto the nacelle while drying.

I think the top inlet will need to be higher so I'll add some FFF and sand that down and transition it in.

The second one will be a lot easier than this one; this was just figuring out things, cutting and taking too much off and redoing things!

My grey matter isn't all that fresh anymore; scratchbuilding where you have to figure it all out has been a real challenge for me.
Its looking Good Sir, . . . Hey it's O.K. to spend today eating Thanksgiving Dinner with the Family and watching some some good FT-Ball Games . . . . .Your 404 will be there tomorrow Kev! Lol
RCG Plus Member