HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:38 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,905 Posts
Question
Parkzone Radian RTF (R/E version)

I recently helped someone set one of these up, all went well but I have a few questions about his kit :

- The Parkzone Radian was brilliant, almost no trim needed straight out of the box and a really nice flyer. I got it trimmed up and CoGed and it flew very well under glide, but 'ballooned' nose-up under power. This means that whilst it's on climbout you have to feed quite a bit of 'down' in. Is this normal?

- The instructions mention that the power system is designed for climbout/glide operation and should not be run with power for long periods. What part of the power system is the limitation?

- The Spektrum DX5e supplied with the kit has a small socket at the back, can this be hooked up to a PC (usb?) so that it can be used with FMS,etc?

- The Spektrum DX5e has 'loose' AA batteries. I thought this was a 'no no' for TX but maybe I'm behind the curve. Do people use rechargeables here? Or can you use long life (like Lithium Energiser AA)?

- Parkzone Radian, the adjusters at the end of the control rods for R/E seemed a little flimsy, am I paranoid or do users generally get on with them?

Adam
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:33 AM
United Kingdom, England, Leominster
Joined Dec 2011
69 Posts
Adam,
Practised half a dozen take off's this morning but too breezy I think
quote "Radian wasn't really designed to fly in winds above light breezes ". Anyway, you live and learn. No harm done, just think it was too windy...
al
alexsally is offline Find More Posts by alexsally
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:55 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Adam View Post
- The Parkzone Radian was brilliant, almost no trim needed straight out of the box and a really nice flyer. I got it trimmed up and CoGed and it flew very well under glide, but 'ballooned' nose-up under power. This means that whilst it's on climbout you have to feed quite a bit of 'down' in. Is this normal?
Yup, absolutely normal. The thrust line is not offset, as the power system is intended to drag the plane to altitude as quickly as possible. It does that well. As a result, the airframe is not happy running around under power like a normal powered trainer.

Quote:
- The instructions mention that the power system is designed for climbout/glide operation and should not be run with power for long periods. What part of the power system is the limitation?
The styrofoam! And the lack of air passages. The motor and ESC do not have a lot of airflow over them, so would build up heat if used at higher power settings for a long time. The plane is optimized for aerodynamic efficiency at the expense of long-term high power use. That's appropriate for a sailplane.

Quote:
- Parkzone Radian, the adjusters at the end of the control rods for R/E seemed a little flimsy, am I paranoid or do users generally get on with them?
I never had any problem with mine. Some have stripped them out by using too much torque on the screw. If this happens to you you should replace it with something heavier. I flew mine for over a year with stock fittings with no problem whatever.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:10 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,348 Posts
Other answers:
The loose batteries are normal for THAT TX. Yes you can use NiMh. Eneloops work GREAT in there.
Yes you can use 'normal' AA long life. The is no after market soldered pack I am aware of.

There are 2 jacks, one for on board charging with appropriate wall wart for NiMh batteries. The other is a standard buddy box jack. It can be used with appropriate adapter for a SIM or buddy box. If you do that be aware the DX5e has a reputation for being cord finicky. Some aftermarket cords (audio cords) may not work.

That kind of climb out is fairly normal for a glider. For the Radian I think it's because Horizon buys truckloads of that motor and puts them in everything. It's a tad overpowered for my taste but I don't hot-rod it. Some folks seem to think it's a pylon racer.

Watch the adjusters. Some have had problems with them. I never did, but I never cranked on them.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:09 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,840 Posts
Please replace the connectors as thay will break if tightend to much.
That is the number one thing people recomend doing in the electric sailplane forum and I agree.
Yes you have to hold down some ele when launcing that is normal with the plane.
I have flown the Radian in 20mph winds and some even slope with it so no its not just a gentle breeze flyer.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:44 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
the radian does climb really fast under power
Ilooped mine on maiden flight.
now we launch at about 1)2 power.
I have had min for about a year and have had no problems with linkage
I put a rubber band around caopy after losing two.
I cant respond to your other questions
good luck
hope this helps
Retired Relic is offline Find More Posts by Retired Relic
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:50 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,348 Posts
I also rubber band the canopy. They are hard to come by and losses are not uncommon.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Dec 2011
69 Posts
Thanks for all the information everyone, really helpful. I thought the canopy was a bit loose also. Launching did seem better on half power....
Thanks
Alex
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Dec 2011
69 Posts
Nice and sunny this afternoon..Tried with the radian again. I think its fair to say I am hopeless at getting the hang of the take offs. All I did was crash Nothing a bit of glue didn't fix but still a bit disheartening.. Its such a tricky thing to learn..but I guess you all know that..
This time I was expecting the plane to rise with more throttle but instead it just went faster in a flat line , I pulled it up and it caught the wind turned at speed into the ground..
I thought I had the cog just right so I don't know why it did it.
Lucky spares are cheap because I think I will need them before I get half decent
al

ps thinking about it..Am I launching at the wrong angle? Maybe I launched it forward when I should have been launching it at 45 degrees??
any ideas..
Last edited by alexsally; Feb 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:13 PM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,905 Posts
Hi Alex, you should be launching flat or slightly upwards and into the wind. The plane only seems to need half throttle.
Text me next time you're flying and I'll come and help.
Adam
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Dec 2011
69 Posts
cheers Adam,
I'll give you a shout when I go next (I'll look at the weather)...
al
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Dec 2011
69 Posts
in fact sunday afternoon looks ok....working in the morning..let me know if your about.
al
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:58 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsally View Post
Nice and sunny this afternoon..Tried with the radian again. I think its fair to say I am hopeless at getting the hang of the take offs. All I did was crash Nothing a bit of glue didn't fix but still a bit disheartening.. Its such a tricky thing to learn..but I guess you all know that..
This time I was expecting the plane to rise with more throttle but instead it just went faster in a flat line , I pulled it up and it caught the wind turned at speed into the ground..
I thought I had the cog just right so I don't know why it did it.
Lucky spares are cheap because I think I will need them before I get half decent
al

ps thinking about it..Am I launching at the wrong angle? Maybe I launched it forward when I should have been launching it at 45 degrees??
any ideas..
What do you mean by 'it caught the wind'? Please check that when you move the stick to the right, the rudder moves to the right also.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:08 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,905 Posts
Gerry,
I checked Alex's Radian back when we first flew it and the CoG were fine and controls correct. There are reversal switches on the TX so I'll check these when we next go flying (just in case!)

Adam
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:43 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Gerry,
I checked Alex's Radian back when we first flew it and the CoG were fine and controls correct. There are reversal switches on the TX so I'll check these when we next go flying (just in case!)

Adam
In that case, it sounds like an accelerated stall, i.e he pulled up too abruptly.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection