SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 12, 2011, 02:24 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,674 Posts
Building is good too .

We had a fantastic day - really busy at the club field - in the first six weeks of a new year we've attracted over half-a dozen new club members and all seem very keen to learn. The club trainer was in heavy use giving a first go to new folks an there was a real buzz about the place.

It's been a while since I've flown, but as it turned out I hadn't forgotten how, despite an amusing first take off through three puddles to take to the air streaming water from the back of the model. After an excellent day's flying, we packed up by the light of the setting sun. With bad weather forecast for tomorrow, 20-30mph winds and rain, it was very much a case of making the most of today.

Picked up some flowers for the missus on the way home and then had a nice unwind with a very large G 'n T, after putting my completely exhausted field battery on charge.

Days like today make it all worthwhile.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2011, 03:45 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,547 Posts
It's pretty darn hot out there right now. I just looked up the current weather. It said "36.9F" and below that it said "Feels like 37" Normally they use that to account for windchill and such, but the 1/10th of a degree just made me and my dad kinda laugh our heads off.

I might have to go do some flying.....
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Feb 12, 2011, 05:28 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,547 Posts
Excellent. All I needed was a t-shirt and a nice fleece sweater over it, plus my orange deer-stalking hat, and I was toasty warm for a whole flight (I only brought one pack with me). The biking conditions are somewhat icky what with all the brown meltwater and slush, but it was better than solid ice and below-zero temps

I got a good, solid 8 minutes or so and then landed the plane literally on top of my gloves, which were lying on the ground right next to me No damage to the plane or my skin cells, and I got a fun new spot-landing personal record
Old Feb 12, 2011, 05:34 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,194 Posts
remaidened the PZ extra after a crash in 30mph winds last weekend..went ok
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Feb 12, 2011, 05:56 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
remaidened the PZ extra after a crash in 30mph winds last weekend..went ok
I can identify. Sometimes ya just gotta say windy schmindy, I'm gonna fly something, often followed by fixing something. In fact, your cavalier attitude has inspired me. I'm going out bright and early and fly something come wind or high water.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Feb 12, 2011, 06:06 PM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
777 Posts
Great little battle over the skies of Italy this afternoon! DoubleH got his RAF Mustang flyable again, so we tossed it up with my FW-190.

Great to see the 'Stang flying again, and great to tussle with him for a while.

(He claims a kill but I'm not so sure. Three confirmed ones for me, though...)

Jeff
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH
Old Feb 12, 2011, 07:59 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,194 Posts
"In fact, your cavalier attitude has inspired me"-QUOTE FROM dLdV-...."cavalier" doesnt even start to explain...im very modest on this site. Im a metalhead with a terrible attitude(no pun intended)-every time i fly, i try to destroy the plane on purpose, short of intentionally hitting the ground (that would be too easy)
Old Feb 12, 2011, 08:03 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,194 Posts
oh yea!-i forgot to mention the maiden of the cold box!-post 403
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...279463&page=27
Old Feb 13, 2011, 09:51 AM
On the Edge of Space
Joined Dec 2007
1,511 Posts
Did it. Out to the field by 7AM. It was cold and gray, but the wind was tollable. Maidened a Polaris boat plane, which flew just awesome. Put 3 batteries through it. By 9 the wind was up, my eyes were blurry, and my fingers were cold. Me and my buddy had both had enough for today.

Well Aron, you galvanized my resolve to get my dead out of bed and go deal with whatever was out there. As luck would have it, conditions were pretty benign. It was supposed to be blowing 7 already at daybreak, up to 10 by 9. I don't think it ever broke 6 the whole time.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:11 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,194 Posts
Good. Man.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:13 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,194 Posts
I used to work at Detriot Diesel in Hilliard, OH. A mechanic there once told me, "Aron, dont let it fight YOU....You fight IT!"
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:21 AM
On the Edge of Space
Joined Dec 2007
1,511 Posts
Hah, can you still hear? We used to have Detroit diesels with blowers in M113 personnel carriers. I used to love when they had to pull one and run it on the test stand with open exhaust. BWAAHHHAHHHHHH!!!!! Loud, brother!
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:45 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,194 Posts
those were the old two cycles-we didnt see very many of those except for older busses, firetrucks and generators. The new gen series 60 is whats in the stuff now. And yes, i can still hear. The loudest thing ive ever heard was a CAT 3406E with the intake side of the turbo off to test the bearings at full engine speed, sitting still in the shop. It literally sounded like there was an F-16 in the shop doing non afterburner thrust tests. I was way over at the other end of the shop and still had to cover my ears. Have you ever seen a semi truck on a chasi dyno?-UNBELIEVABLE......you strap the truck down in the dyno bay over top of the wheel drums that are down in the floor, get in the truck with the engine computer module in one hand and the dyno controller in the other, lock the differential in, spin the wheels to 65(ish) mph sitting still, then use the dyno to load the truck down. The engine is growling like meanest, loudest bear, the radiator fan kicks on sounding like a heli taking off, and the turbo charger loads up to 28lbs and screams like a jet, all sitting still, inside of a building, with you in the drivers seat. GOT to be the coolest sound ive ever heard..
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:20 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,510 Posts
Flew my modded HZSC with floats today, even in 15mph winds. The snow is sooo soft and slushy now I had to hand launch it because the plane sunk into the mush. FINALLY some warmer weather here in MN!
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:43 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,547 Posts
This weather has been excellent.... Let's hope it holds.