HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:52 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
A few coats of dope and some Krylon. With the near constant humidity here, I dope all my tissue planes to combat sagging.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:57 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse_7 View Post
A few coats of dope and some Krylon.
Thanks. Hope you post some videos when you get it water-ready. The floats make an already good looking airplane even more beautiful.

Are the floats scratch built?

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:15 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
I sent an e-mail to Mark at seaplanesupply and he custom cut a pair for me. I think it was around $20 shipped for the pair.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:56 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse_7 View Post
I've completed yet another conversion using one of the AR6400 family. This one uses an AR6400LBL, 2500kv park 180, and 180mAh 2 cell. AUW is 104g or 124g with the floats, wingspan 30" and the plans say 127 sq. in. wing area.

http://youtu.be/TN9bgVTzJsM
That thing looks flawless, Im almost too embarrassed to show off my recently completed Carbon Cub Panorama now
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:42 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,799 Posts
Does any on know how to make a GWS direct drive 3 blade prop fit a 1.5mm shaft, or what hardware is necessary to do this???

I made a noob mistake and thought direct drive meant it simply fits directly on the shaft.

I bought 2 sets and took one set to a lock smith this morning with some prop adapters. The lock smith drilled out the blades so that the prop adapters were a nice snug fit, however when I attached them to my plane they were horribly off center and nearly vibrated my plane into pieces

Maybe I will take the other set somewhere else with a drill press and try to get the holes dead on the money, unless there is a better way?
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:41 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,828 Posts
I've used a GWS 3 bladed 7x3.5 prop with a Plantraco prop adaptor. That fits the shaft, or one of the three sizes in the set does (you get two of each). I can't remember if the outside diameter fitted one of the black plastic rings that came with the prop, or if i had to ream one to fit.

Maybe reaming the plastic is better than drilling? I guess a powered drill has enough force behind it to drift off and make its own hole, plus there are only two cutting surfaces on a normal drill bit, whereas a reamer normally has at least four, so it keeps the shape of the hole better...

Actually, I've just checked my reamers and the "JP" (model shop one) only has two cutting surfaces, but does have a shape that follows the hole well. My cheap hardware shop one has six cutting surfaces.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Last edited by Andy2No; Oct 06, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:38 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
I've used a GWS 3 bladed 7x3.5 prop with a Plantraco prop adaptor. That fits the shaft, or one of the three sizes in the set does (you get two of each). I can't remember if the outside diameter fitted one of the black plastic rings that came with the prop, or if i had to ream one to fit.

Maybe reaming the plastic is better than drilling? I guess a powered drill has enough force behind it to drift off and make its own hole, plus there are only two cutting surfaces on a normal drill bit, whereas a reamer normally has at least four, so it keeps the shape of the hole better...

Actually, I've just checked my reamers and the "JP" (model shop one) only has two cutting surfaces, but does have a shape that follows the hole well. My cheap hardware shop one has six cutting surfaces.
My props are 5030's and I have the plantranco adapters, but they are slightly too large for the holes in the props I guess I will have to take my remaining blades to a machining place with a good drill press to get an accurate hole, as I dont really want to fork out for a set of reamers that I will only use once
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:46 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,828 Posts
I was thinking of two blade 5030 props when I said the Plantraco adaptors fit them. I have fitted different sizes of the 3 blade props to them, but I must have used a reamer.

I just own cheap tapered reamers. They weren't expensive, and I've had plenty of use out of them. You'll soon find a reason to own one once you do. "To a man with a new hammer, everything looks like a nail"

A tapered reamer might not seem ideal, but it works well enough The chances of having the exact size of straight reamer are fairly small, I guess.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:32 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
If you just spin the adpter on some sandpaper, you an evenly take off enough material so that it pits in the prop hole.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:29 PM
Richard Cox
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Dec 2003
672 Posts
Andy is right. Tapered reamers are a very useful tool, and inexpensive. I have one that goes from about 1/8" to 1/2", and another that goes up to over an inch.

GWS also makes those rubber adapters similar to Plantraco. Problem is that there
are about 6 on the sprue, and they have different size holes. You will end up with a
collection that fit nothing. But then, they are cheap.
Richard Cox is offline Find More Posts by Richard Cox
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:43 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
If you just spin the adpter on some sandpaper, you an evenly take off enough material so that it pits in the prop hole.
Thanks, thats actually a very good idea
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:51 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Just another adapter idea for the GWS props.

Get some cheap plastic tapered hobby paint brushes. Then just press fit( can add CA too) one into the GWS prop cut off the excess and drill in a small shaft starter hole and thread in with the prop shaft works great.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Last edited by mtflyr; Oct 07, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:46 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,799 Posts
I would have had to sand too much off the prop adapters to fit it in the blades, so I simply used progressively larger hex drill bits with a screwdriver handle to ream the holes in the blades. This worked out perfectly, however when I was CA'ing them together one of the prop adapters set a little bit wonky and I ended up destroying the prop trying to get it out

...but I just ordered 2 more sets of blades, now I know what to expect I should be able to get the prop adapters to fit like a pro.

Thanks for all the help guys
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:10 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,799 Posts
I just discovered the free flight models on hobbyking and I reckon they would be the perfect candidates for AR6400 conversions

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ht_Models.html

Weight: check
Wingspan: check
Cheap: check
Cool: check

Here are my favourites.

Wright Brothers

Highwing + floats

The Fokker tri-plane

I know where my money is going in the coming months
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:37 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,799 Posts
So here is my 98% completed Carbon Cub Panorama, I just need to attach some magnets to the canopy and replace one of the props.

Carbon Cub Panorama (1 min 43 sec)