Old May 01, 2015, 04:32 PM
Find More Posts by BillO
Firecracker!
San Francisco & Santa Cruz
Joined Oct 2004
2,376 Posts
Discussion
Profili Pro templates for cutting foam wing cores

Anybody using Profili Pro to make templates for drop-arm foam cutting? I have looked at it and I don't understand how the lead-in ramp works. It doesn't look quite right to me...
BillO is offline Find More Posts by BillO
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2015, 04:48 PM
Find More Posts by dpot
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005
1,048 Posts
it depends on what leading edge and trailing edge you are going to use
dpot is online now Find More Posts by dpot
Old May 01, 2015, 09:24 PM
Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,827 Posts
Bill,
I don't have Profili Pro, but do have Profili2 which also has an irregularity around the leading edge.
However this does not concern me as I make a curved entry ramp at the leading edge anyway. This is, in effect, a modification of the flat ramp, with the sudden change in direction at the leading edge and makes starting of the wires progress more reliable.
I also modify the exit ramps to refect a continuation of the slope of the last part of the airfoil. Then there is no sudden change in the direction of progress of the ends of the bow carrying the hot wire. Otherwise, the wire lag will create thickening in the middle of the panel at the trailing edge.
This (modifying the ramp) totally eliminates trailing edge scalloping and eliminates sanding.
If the above is not clear, I might have some .dxf drawings somewhere.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson