SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2014, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by bentl
Norway, Sor-Trondelag, Trondheim
Joined Aug 2011
12 Posts
I have just startet assembly of my Specter 1800, and my fuselage was also warped so that the main wings and tail were not aligned.

I wrapped the fuselage with a damp cloth, held it over a casserole with steaming water and twisted it back in shape. When I was satisfied with the alignment of main and tail I "fixed" the fuselage by cooing it in cold running water from the kitchen tap and a week later it holds its shape.

I use slim metal gear servos in the wing and have replaced the servo tray with a CF plate that will hold 2 slim servos lying flat on the CF plate.

I hope to maiden the Specter the coming weekend if weather allows it.

Regards
Bent
bentl is offline Find More Posts by bentl
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2015, 02:32 PM
Find More Posts by swill
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2002
59 Posts
almost done

Just wanted to let ya'll know I haven't abandoned you and the thread. Finally got a chance to start my Specter build. This thing was a lot more work than I thought it would be. It's all due to the quality and consistency issues of the Hobby King version. I'm almost ready for first flight!

My major stumbling blocks were:
  • finding aileron servos - mine has a very, very thing wing as mentioned in a previous post. I had some Dymond D47 lying around for another project so I tried those. They work rather well. They did make the covering protrude so to mitigate that I added another layer of 1/16 ply to the corners of the servo plate.
  • finding servos for v-tail - I thought regular 9g servos that I had lying around would work (Tower Pro MG90S) but they were not going to clear the wing saddle. Went to the local hobby shop and found that HS-55 and HS-5055MG would work without modification. So I ended up going with the digital version, HS-5055MG.
  • twisted fuselage - as I mounted the wing, I could easily see that the v-tail was 'off'. I used my heat gun and gently warmed the fuselage and twisted it back to the proper orientation. It's not perfect and I want to revisit it before it flies. I think I need a helper to heat and twist the fuse while I check the alignment. Right not it's good/close but not spot on.

The pictures show me installing and aligning the wing. I took my time and got the locations for the wing bolts drilled correctly. I also drilled the front of the wing and used a pin to locate the proper location on the wing leading edge.

So pending a rework of the fuse, it's ready for first flight. I picked up a 32mm spinner from Esprit which really makes it stand out. Looking forward to flying it soon!
swill is offline Find More Posts by swill
Old Apr 22, 2015, 08:11 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
2,991 Posts
I'm glad to hear she's going together. Be sure to let us know how the new version pans out in the air.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Apr 23, 2015, 01:52 AM
Find More Posts by bentl
Norway, Sor-Trondelag, Trondheim
Joined Aug 2011
12 Posts
Hi,

my Spectre is also almost complete now.I placed the tail servos flat on ar piece of carbon plate in the fuselage, har to find servos short enough to be mounted standig upright.

How did you fasten the V-tail? Removed foil and glued as per instructions?

I am concidering crewing the V-tail to thetail boom in order to be abl to remoe it again. Not sure if screws and a strip of carbon reinforcement will add any weiht to orry about.
bentl is offline Find More Posts by bentl
Old Apr 25, 2015, 09:40 PM
Find More Posts by ForeverFlying
Christiansburg, VA
Joined Sep 2002
846 Posts
Could someone measure the wing chord? Is it the same as the PasserX?
How about the wing construction? Is this one fully balsa sheeted, or open bay?
Single joiner rod?
Thanks!
Mike
ForeverFlying is offline Find More Posts by ForeverFlying
Old Apr 26, 2015, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by swill
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2002
59 Posts
At a hotel now, so I can't measure the wing. However mine has a built up wing which is not fully sheeted. It is very, very thin. The DS47 servos make the covering push out a little bit. Like I mentioned above, I spaced out the servo attach plate and that helps the servos sit better in the wing. The wing does have a single joiner rod which was too long by approximately 3/4".

I was able to fix the twisting of the fiberglass fuselage by carefully heating the aft end with a heat gun. I had a cold and wet towel to "lock in" the fuselage after I twisted the tail to the proper orientation. To attach the v-stab I did simply remove the covering and epoxy the tail in place. Should hold fine.

If the winds die down as expected here in Atlanta, I may be able to take it up for a maiden as soon as tomorrow.
swill is offline Find More Posts by swill
Old Apr 26, 2015, 02:27 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,991 Posts
Hi, guys.

The Specter is the HK version of the Passer-x and the Manticore from FlyFly.

I removed some covering on the tail surfaces. Then I carefully sanded the fuselage to get a good flat and true surface close enough to get the tail straight and glued with epoxy. My tail boom was straight enough that I didn't have to twist it but others have been less lucky. I ground numerous small dimples with a spherical grinding bit just deep enough the break through the gelcote. I held it in place in a foam jig and used 15 minute epoxy to glue the tail surfaces on. This joint is strong enough that it didn't budge when I whacked the tail hard enough to crack the fuselage,

I have never had a problem with a V-tail set at about a 110 degree to 120 degree angle. They can be challenging to trim in any case so it's more important to have the axis of the tail surfaces parallel to the line of flight than it is to have the tail exactly on the center line.

My root chord is 7 7/8 inches and the maximum thickness is 5/8 inches. My guess is that there might be subtle differences in dimension between production runs.

Cheers!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 08:02 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,991 Posts
I forgot to mention...

I added a foam fairing with epoxy and micro balloons on my tail. I felt it wouldn't hurt the aerodynamics or the balance. I also ended up adding a couple plywood fishplates when I cracked the tail boom on the door.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 05:10 AM
Find More Posts by dokken
Joined Apr 2010
6 Posts
Hi
I looking for best TOP setup price/ value
propeller, ESC, motor, spinner, servos
dokken is online now Find More Posts by dokken
Old Apr 28, 2015, 07:21 AM
Find More Posts by JimNM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,490 Posts
There is no "best" answer, ever.

22mm out runner will fit wi th care, look for 900-1000 Kv motor
3s 1300 will fit with care
10x or 11x6 prop

HK 9 gram servos will fit with some work.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:12 AM
Joined Apr 2010
6 Posts
outrunner?
dokken is online now Find More Posts by dokken
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:30 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,991 Posts
Hi, dokken. I'll just tell you my setup.

KDA 22-20L motor. (Outrunner. 85 grams, 28mm diameter, 1000kv.) I have also used a lighter HK2834 motor but they seem to be out of production.
HK Blue Series 30amp ESC.
4XHXT 900 servos. (NOTE. One needs to be creative to fit these servos in the frame!)
32mm spinner. (NOTE: A 30mm spinner is a perfect fit but I wouldn't mind using anything from a 28-34mm.)
11X6 graphite blades.

Here's a link for the motor. It's a heck of a deal and I have three of them. HK also understates the performance so I'll also provide a link for the manufacturer's specs.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1000KV.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...46X7528X52.JPG

Depending on how fast you want to climb any 28mm motor of over 150 watts will work out fine. With the KDA mine climbs as high as I like it in @15 seconds. I'm afraid to use full throttle unless it's going almost straight up.

Cheers!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 01:09 PM
Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
5,671 Posts
I concur with peter , that kda is a good one, I have 2 now both in 2 meter gliders one weighing 1.4 kg on a 10*6it pulls 200 watts and get the 1.4kg up to about 600ft in 15 secs.
I am putting in my raptor with a 9*5 carbon prop folding with a turbo(cooling) spinner, it should be enough at that I am hoping, if not I can just prop up a bit.
It has been in a crash too nosed right into firm football pitch full speed but no damage.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old May 02, 2015, 05:19 PM
Joined Apr 2010
6 Posts
peterlngh
thank you very much for answer
I thinking about MT brushless motor
which one is better for Specter?
http://paidiss.com/goods.php?id=35
or
http://paidiss.com/goods.php?id=36