New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2015, 04:10 AM
Find More Posts by ClayH
Joined Mar 2003
3,157 Posts
My S/B has been dieting

So about 18 months ago I weighed my Vortex Ocean Racer #1006 and was shocked to see that it was only 6 ounces from the class max - my boat weighed 27.6 lbs. I was using a 5 cell sub C 3300 mah pack, a Robotzone winch with the Hitec 805 servo, and I was running a 16lb keel.

Now our lake generally gets winds in the 4-8mph range on a good day, but we can get winds like this week 10-15 in the afternoon on occasion. Since our club leaders are so stubborn about coming out to practice days early though, the wind is usually 2-5 mph for the majority of the racing. So I thought I'd go with a lighter keel to help me in our most prevalent conditions - light and variable direction. So I made a 14 lb. keel from the Robinsons offering. Now my boat was 25.6 lbs and much more responsive to light gusts. Sure when the wind kicks up I heel too much, but for most days it works in my favor.

Next was to go to a lighter battery. My 11 oz. 5 cell pack was replaced with a Hobbico 1800mah LiFe 2 cell pack that comes off the charger at 6.6 volts and weighs 4 ounces. Nearly 1/2 lb. savings there. Lastly, i replaced my Robotzone SPG805A winch with the smaller Robotzone SPG7950A , picking up 20% more torque and losing another 8 ounces.

So my boat has gone from 27.6 lbs. to 24.4 lbs. for normal days at the pond, and 26.4 for the big wind days. I don't really think the boat gives up much in momentum at the lighter weight, but that's harder to observe. My boat seems to run well in the class so I think the changes are all positive so far.

I hope to be able to make the Nats this year and chase Ken from afar!
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Last edited by ClayH; Apr 09, 2015 at 04:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2015, 04:29 AM
Find More Posts by ClayH
Joined Mar 2003
3,157 Posts
Waterproofing the radio tray rails

Last few times out to race I would hear my boat groaning when I'd make turns in windy condition - a real slow creaking groan - very scale like sound. SO upon closer inspection I noticed that the two rails that support the radio tray had come slighter loose at all four joints with the hull, as had the support under the mast step that connects the top and bottom of the hull.

Theses pieces were all epoxied in place and had light glass on top of the joints. Over time the glass has become brittle and they all had slightly separated from the hull, but were held in place by the glass - hence the groan. So before my last outing i removed the glass from a couple of the joints and put some Goop around each of the joints. .What I missed was that some of the wooden rail near the side of the hull was left exposed(bare wood) and when I went sailing my boat took on some water and soaked a small portion of each of the rails.

That's a long story to set up the questions that follow:

1) Is goop a good product to use for setting rails to the hull?
2) What is best to use to waterproof the rails if you were making new rails
3) Is there something I can use to help dry our these rails so the wood doesn't go bad?
4) Can water be getting in to my boat via the keel bolts ?

Thanks for your input.

Clay
Old Apr 09, 2015, 11:14 AM
Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,289 Posts
1) Is goop a good product to use for setting rails to the hull?
No. Not unless you want them to flex or be easily removed later. Epoxy would be a better choice if you want a permanent ridged mount.

2) What is best to use to waterproof the rails if you were making new rails?
Two coats of epoxy thinned with alcohol brushed on - but use a type that has a 30 min or more cure time. Less than that is not waterproof.

3) Is there something I can use to help dry our these rails so the wood doesn't go bad?
Soak them in either acetone or alcohol for a few minutes and let them dry (taking precautions for the flammability of the vapor). Both absorb water and when they evaporate the water goes with the solvent vapor.

4) Can water be getting in to my boat via the keel bolts ?
Yes. More than likely it is coming from the hatch cover, but if you are sure it is the keel bolts try using some O-rings on the bolts or make some thin rubber washers from a suitable rubber gasket material from the local auto parts store - you can usually buy it in sheets and have enough for your whole club!
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Apr 09, 2015, 09:38 PM
Find More Posts by Rssailor
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
982 Posts
Wow, that is great Clay. Glad you made your boat lighter, but keep in mind, sailing smartly will always help you go faster.

As to your questions:
#1 Use West System or similar for all repairs in the boat where strength is important.
#2 You can soak new rails in penetrating epoxy, probably best with two coats.
#3 Steve suggestion is good!
#4 Grease the keel bolts with teflon grease, and put some between the keel and the hull, will keep water out.

Have fun and keep the posts coming. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Apr 10, 2015, 08:23 PM
Find More Posts by sbyachts
Joined Sep 2012
18 Posts
Hi Clay, when dad and I were in the infancy stages of manufacturing Santa Barbara's we did a lot of research. Dad pulled from his 50 plus years in the aircraft industry a ton of knowledge on working with both epoxy and polyester resins. Dad also did a lot of research to be sure we did the job right. He explained to me the following (it does make sense)
1) epoxy and polyester are drastically different on a molecular level. When bonding polyester with epoxy it is recommended that you sand the area to be bonded to "roughen" the surface, this gives the epoxy something to stick to. Simply stated epoxy molecules and polyester molecules don't stick to each other.
2) most R/C boats are made of polyester / fiberglass lay-up.
3) when "gluing" polyester/glass material use polyester resin.

Here is how we go about this. We use straight polyester resin from Tap Plastics with their brand of catalyst. We brush this onto any bare wood surface to seal the wood, a simple single coat with good coverage is adequate. When gluing parts together such as your rails into the hull, mix the catalyzed resin with cabosil (also available at Tap) to a desired viscosity, you can make a nice thick paste to fill around the joint to provide good strength.

As for waterproofing new rails just brush on a coat of catalyzed resin and let cure.

To dry out you old rails, or anything else for that matter, kitty litter or white rice will suck the moisture out of anything. Its non toxic and non flammable.

Good luck and happy sailing

Dan Robinson
sbyachts is offline Find More Posts by sbyachts
Old Apr 29, 2015, 01:08 AM
Find More Posts by tbarjohn
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
231 Posts
hi guys, we had our 1st sail of the season in Chicago, Sunday, it was cold 51 degrees with NW winds 9mph gusting to 15, we had 5 S/B's and 1 EC12, we ran 9 races, John R. was the man to beat, 6 1st with a total of 13 points, his boat is a Rich Matt built Hartman hull ( the 1st hull Hartman built hull #0), it has a 15lb 4oz keel, all up weight 23lb 5oz, Mylar sails, auto back stay, robot zone type sail winch (home made) and ruder
John R.
tbarjohn is offline Find More Posts by tbarjohn
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:49 PM
Find More Posts by thorsail
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
971 Posts
Rich Matt's S/B

Here's a pic of that custom S/B Rich Matt built.
This boat was so fast last Sunday that when John had to make a pit stop, he
handed me the TX to sail it and I won two races -it was NOT my driving that
was any kind of factor. I think it's Rich,looking over our shoulders......
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:20 PM
Find More Posts by Rssailor
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
982 Posts
Cool, wish I would have know him. That is a pretty cool deck, curved booms, interesting idea.
Fast Vector sails too, nice. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:24 PM
Find More Posts by wyldrydes2
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Apr 2012
709 Posts
The clean deck line is nice!

Any chance you can take pictures from various angles so we can get a good look at the deck design. This looks very sleek and aerodynamic from this picture. Thanks.

Jerry, SFMYC-AMYA
1971 Vortex SB (Hi Jim!)
wyldrydes2 is offline Find More Posts by wyldrydes2
Old Apr 30, 2015, 01:37 AM
Find More Posts by ClayH
Joined Mar 2003
3,157 Posts
Sorry double post
Last edited by ClayH; Apr 30, 2015 at 01:40 AM. Reason: double post
Old Apr 30, 2015, 01:39 AM
Find More Posts by ClayH
Joined Mar 2003
3,157 Posts
Quote:
Here's a pic of that custom S/B Rich Matt built.
This boat was so fast last Sunday that when John had to make a pit stop, he
handed me the TX to sail it and I won two races -it was NOT my driving that
was any kind of factor. I think it's Rich,looking over our shoulders......
That is a neat looking deck. Could you explain the long vang/and curved boom setup? Is your vang adjustable remotely with that setup? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Gotta love the Santa Barbaras. Alike enough to compete, your descretion on your rigging and RC complexity, simple to wild.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 09:08 AM
Find More Posts by thorsail
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
971 Posts
Rich Matt's S/B

Hi guys
our next race day for S/Bs is May 17
I will bring my camera and get better pics if John brings that hull with.
John will have to answer any specific questions about the rig/rigging-he is
the one who has had to sort out Rich's handiwork.
Allan
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old May 01, 2015, 01:27 AM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
231 Posts
Hi guys, the Rich Matt boat has a robotzone type sail winch, single arm with auto back stay and ruder control, that's it, I'm not sure if the curved jib boom is legal, it's not realty curved but has a angel in it, all of the lines and sheets are run in tubing below deck, the deck is Formica, I would like to put a jib trim in it this summer, the radio is FlySky FS-T6 2.4ghz, I have used this radio for 3 years now and like better than my Spektrum DX6i, I hope this helps, any other comments?
John R.
Old May 02, 2015, 12:18 PM
Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarjohn View Post
I'm not sure if the curved jib boom is legal, it's not realty curved but has a angel in it, John R.
John:

I would say that the booms are not legal. Since SB sails of maximum permissible area have a curved foot, I think the intent of the rule was to prevent the spars from following that curve to make outhaul adjustments easier and to keep the "look" of a full scale boat. IMHO, that "bent boom" violates the spirit of the rule. Even if it was found that it was not "curved" it could be argued that it is effectively larger than the maximum 1" diameter permitted by rule.

I for one would not chance showing up at a regatta with that rig unless I had a "standard" rig as a back up. AND, I would ask for a ruling before I used it in a race!

SPARS
The greatest section dimension of mast and booms must not exceed one inch. Permanently curved mast and booms are not allowed. Mast and booms may be constructed of any material. Hollow spars are permitted.
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old May 02, 2015, 11:10 PM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
231 Posts
FoamCrusher, the main boom is not curved, the boom is straight and the vang is on top witch is legal, all the booms have a cross section of 3/8", I don't know why Rich put a bent jib boom on the boat, I think he was involved in writing the rules, I was planing on changing the job boom this summer.
John R.