HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2007, 04:10 PM
Blue Collar DLG Marshall
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jun 2007
1,866 Posts
Discussion
I need some input !!!

I want to scratch build a nice scale sailplane but I am lost as to what to build. I am building it for the tow event in April so I don't have a ton of time. I want to build something in the 4meter range that has nice lines like a Diana. I am having trouble finding the right pics of her to do that so I need some ideas. I am pretty new to sailplanes so nothing too high performance. I plan to vacuum bag most of the construction.

Thanks PP
Double Pappa is offline Find More Posts by Double Pappa
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2007, 05:33 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,835 Posts
That's kind of a contraindication of thoughts.....you like the Diana.....but you don't want anything too "High Performance".... Well....the Diana is the latest "High Performance" sailplane from PZL..... Look here for info:
http://www.piotrp.de/SZYBOWCE/pszd56.htm
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Dec 10, 2007, 07:45 PM
Blue Collar DLG Marshall
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jun 2007
1,866 Posts
Yah I guess you're right.....The lines on the Diana are breath taking though !!!! I guess I better build 2 while I'm at it....
Old Dec 10, 2007, 08:02 PM
SoarScale
United States, WI, Wind Lake
Joined Nov 2004
814 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what method do you intend to use to build the fuse - built up, lost foam, plug/mold/part?
SoarScale2 is offline Find More Posts by SoarScale2
Old Dec 10, 2007, 08:07 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,835 Posts
And......at the scale your thinking about that tail boom is really...really....really small! You would have to do it from a carbon tube would be my guess. What about the DG series of sailplanes? You can get all the factory 3 - views here:
http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/drei-seiten.html
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Dec 10, 2007, 08:23 PM
Blue Collar DLG Marshall
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jun 2007
1,866 Posts
Thanks for the link I will take a look. I plan to build up foam around a tapered carbon tube, shape to my liking and then fiberglass the foam. The carbon tube down the middle will work very nicely as a channel for my control rods.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 01:30 AM
Berlin, Germany
Joined Mar 2002
316 Posts
The problem with the Diana is - it has very narrow wing tips. If I remember well its 90cm (about 1 yd) on the root.

Here are some pictures:
http://www.gorpol.pl/?site=80&artykul=140
Viktor is offline Find More Posts by Viktor
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:21 AM
Blue Collar DLG Marshall
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jun 2007
1,866 Posts
SZD16 Thanks for the link I am leaning towards the DG-1000. That is a very elegant looking plane. I will probably build it scale-ish meaning I am planning on using a KFM3 airfoil.