HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2007, 08:10 AM
Joined Sep 2007
71 Posts
Discussion
Futaba Tx and simulation

Dear All,
I have recently bought a Futaba T7CP (FF7) transmitter. I also invested in a "Hitec USB Simulator interface cable" which creates a virtual joystick when I connect it (and my FF7) to the computer.

My question is; Do I need to extract/unfold the antenna when i use my FF7 with the PC simulator? Will it not need an extracted antenner to absorb the energy and save the internal eletronics?

I am sorry for the (properly) wrong terms I am using. But I think of it as using a VHF radio without a connected antenna - that will surely destroy the radio fast!

Any comments are highly apreciated.

Best regards
/Aero
AeroSign is offline Find More Posts by AeroSign
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2007, 02:07 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Hi,

The best thing to do when using your TX hooked up to the PC is to remove the crystal or transmission module if it has one. This in effect stops the TX from transmitting and thus you can leave the antenna in its closed position
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Sep 30, 2007, 03:11 PM
Joined Sep 2007
71 Posts
MalcC,
Thanks for your comment! I am a newbee so I might be wrong. But I don't think it is possible to remove the TX module or crystal. Actually to my surprise the manual dose'nt even mention how to change the crystal. I googeled it and found one thread with someone claiming that it has to be changed by a Futaba service center Not exactly appreciated information as I'd like to be able to adjust to the frequencies in use at the field....

Anyway this long text just to mention that I really don't think it is possible with this Futaba model (T7CP FF7)

Hopefully someone can tell me different

Best regards
/Aero
Old Sep 30, 2007, 03:44 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
If its this one then its uses the standard FM frequencies and thus either has a plug in module in the back in to which a standard 35MHz (UK) or 72MHz (US) crystal is plugged in. This allows you to change the transmission frequencies so that no two transmitters are transmitting on the same frequency. It won't involve sending the TX to a service centre.

The only exception to this is the newer 2.4Ghz systems, or the top end FM transmitters that often feature a synthersise system which search for any free channels and then modulates the PCM / PPM signals at that frequency. This is generally never found on low end transmitters.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 04:10 PM
Joined Jun 2005
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroSign
Dear All,
I have recently bought a Futaba T7CP (FF7) transmitter. I also invested in a "Hitec USB Simulator interface cable" which creates a virtual joystick when I connect it (and my FF7) to the computer.

My question is; Do I need to extract/unfold the antenna when i use my FF7 with the PC simulator? Will it not need an extracted antenner to absorb the energy and save the internal eletronics?

I am sorry for the (properly) wrong terms I am using. But I think of it as using a VHF radio without a connected antenna - that will surely destroy the radio fast!

Any comments are highly apreciated.

Best regards
/Aero
Does your radio power up automatically when inserting the square micro connector? If pins 4 and 5 are shorted, some radioes will power up automatically. If the radio does, the transmitter signal (RF) is disabled (DSC mode (Direct Servo Control?)).

If it does not power up automatically, either pins 4 and 5 are not shorted together or your radio does not support DSC mode. In this case I guess you should remove the Transmitter module on the back side of your radio when using the radio for simulation. (Unless you enjoy using your sim with antenna fully extended

Nixxon
nixxon is offline Find More Posts by nixxon
Old Sep 30, 2007, 04:18 PM
Joined Jun 2005
25 Posts
Is your radio old or new? Find your radio at http://www.futabarc.com/ and post the link to your radio? I can't find any 7ch radio with the model # you wrote.

Even if you have an older radio with the round 5-pin DIN connector, my reply above should still be correct.

I use the Hitec interface with my older Futaba 8UAPS with round 5-pin DIN connector. The pins 4 and 5 are shorted and my radio powers up automatically. In comparison: With the RealFlight G3 adapter, pins 4 and 5 are not shorted, thus my radio does not power up automatically.

Nixxon
Old Oct 01, 2007, 09:06 AM
Joined Sep 2007
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc C
If its this one then its uses the standard FM frequencies and thus either has a plug in module in the back in to which a standard 35MHz (UK) or 72MHz (US) crystal is plugged in. This allows you to change the transmission frequencies so that no two transmitters are transmitting on the same frequency. It won't involve sending the TX to a service centre.
You are absolutely right - it does have a small module I can pull out. This means I can change the frequency on my own which is even better news for me thanks a lot, I did not know that!

And yes, that the reciever I got T7CP, I thnk it is called FF7 in europe.

Best Regards
/Aero
Old Oct 01, 2007, 09:15 AM
Joined Sep 2007
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixxon
Does your radio power up automatically when inserting the square micro connector?
Unfortunately not, stays turned off.

Quote:
If pins 4 and 5 are shorted, some radioes will power up automatically.
The pin's seems to be full length all six of them. It's the square type of connector - no DIN type.

Quote:
..... In this case I guess you should remove the Transmitter module on the back side of your radio when using the radio for simulation.
Okay when you say transmitter module it's just that little small plastic thingie which holds the crystal right? And the radio will not get harmed when I turn it on without the crystal?

Quote:
(Unless you enjoy using your sim with antenna fully extended
I hate that, my room is too small

Strange this antenna issue isn't covered by the manual I guess lots of people could be usng their radio with the antenna down during simulation, not knowing it's potential harmfull to the eletronics....

Thanks for helping...

best regards
/Aero
Old Oct 01, 2007, 01:43 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Aero, yes, what nixxon is referring to as the "transmission module" is the small module that contains the crystal. Removing that will do no harm to the TX, or if you even simply remove the small crystal from the module and place the module back in you'll still be Ok
Old Oct 01, 2007, 04:14 PM
Joined Jun 2005
25 Posts
Table of most plugs with info about function of each pin:

http://www.mftech.de/buchsen_en.htm

Futaba in column 2

Here is the source I have used before when talking about shorting pins 4 and 5: http://www.rc-circuits.com/Transmitt...r%20Pinout.htm

And one more link: http://users.belgacom.net/TX2TX/tx2t...h/tx2txgb3.htm

Nixxon
Last edited by nixxon; Oct 01, 2007 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Adding link yet another link
Old Oct 02, 2007, 03:07 AM
Joined Sep 2007
11 Posts
Just in case it's not clear, 'shorting' the pins doesn't mean making them shorter! It means short-circuiting pins by making an electrical connection between them. That won't be visible by looking at the pins, but might be visible under the cover of the plug.

Dave
Viragored is offline Find More Posts by Viragored
Old Oct 02, 2007, 12:15 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viragored
Just in case it's not clear, 'shorting' the pins doesn't mean making them shorter! It means short-circuiting pins by making an electrical connection between them.

Dave

LOL - 1st post and a real corker !

But seriously, excellent clarification
Old Oct 02, 2007, 12:54 PM
Joined Sep 2007
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viragored
Just in case it's not clear, 'shorting' the pins doesn't mean making them shorter! It means short-circuiting pins by making an electrical connection between them. That won't be visible by looking at the pins, but might be visible under the cover of the plug.
You are absolutely right I did'nt read it like that though I do know that english term...... embarrasing, really...

Thanks to your all!