HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:45 AM
David
San Francisco, CA
Joined Sep 2004
650 Posts
Help!
waterproofing electronics

Hi - I'm converting my Funcub to a water plane by adding floats. I've heard about applying Corrosion X to the elctronics but am not sure how to use it. Do I coat all the electronic (receiver, esc, motor, battery, servos) components internally? Do I open up the components to gain access to the circuitry? How much Corrosion X does one apply? Thanks for any advice.

David
dno264 is offline Find More Posts by dno264
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Airacobra
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:42 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,063 Posts
I think most of the pilots who use Corrosion-X RED Label, just take the componets out, spray the Corrosion-X on and in the componets. Let them drain out, usually overnight. Many take the bottoms off the servos and spray those parts. Let the Corrosion-X drain out and then reassemble the servos.

I have used Corrosion-X on my rec and esc. I didn't do the servos, didn't have any trouble with the servos, but the next assembly of my Seawind, I will do the servos.

I didn't cut the shrink wrap off the esc or the rec. I just sprayed it in both ends and let it drain. Same with the rec.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Jan 14, 2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: forgot something.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:48 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2002
205 Posts
Buy the pump spray bottle. Pour it into a suitable size container, like a foam drinking cup. Dunk the entire RX or ESC, and let it drain out for a day. I have not tried this with servos yet.
Zoomer-Ron is offline Find More Posts by Zoomer-Ron
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:02 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,106 Posts
+1 on the use of CorrosionX.\

You probably shouldn't dunk the servos though. Only the tiny PC board needs treating. You can spray the board or use a small brush and paint the board with CorrosionX. You need to treat the servo wire exit point or seal it with Vaseline or hot melt. You should also consider putting Vaseline on the servo output shaft and under the servo arm to seal the servo case opening where the shaft exits.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:51 PM
David
San Francisco, CA
Joined Sep 2004
650 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated.

David
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:33 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
887 Posts
Corrosionx is awesome - I put it on almost everything
teryn1 is offline Find More Posts by teryn1
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:02 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,216 Posts
Also, I Cx ALL connectors

Can;t see how you could get away with not doing so, because water will get in to them, then poof! Blue smoke comes out and that stuff is really hard to get back in!

Kev
Berkie is online now Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:19 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
+1 on the use of CorrosionX.\

You probably shouldn't dunk the servos though. Only the tiny PC board needs treating. You can spray the board or use a small brush and paint the board with CorrosionX. You need to treat the servo wire exit point or seal it with Vaseline or hot melt. You should also consider putting Vaseline on the servo output shaft and under the servo arm to seal the servo case opening where the shaft exits.

McD
I agree. The thing to do with servos is keep the water out. The only problem I have had with a servo was a result of water in the feedback pot, not the circuit board, and I don't think you should treat the pot with CorrosionX.

By the way, once I dried everything thoroughly and disassembled and cleaned the pot, the servo worked fine again.

The most vulnerable component, and the one most in need of CorrosionX, is the ESC, as it will fail if the throttle is opened while wet.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:59 PM
David
San Francisco, CA
Joined Sep 2004
650 Posts
All good advice. Thanks.
RCG Plus Member