HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:11 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
Discussion
Video onboard heli and tear into

Here's a quick video I made with my gopro hero2 on my blade 400 and also on my tear into. Pretty tame flying and driving, just testing out how they perform with the extra weight!

Blade 400 and Tear Into Jet Boat (5 min 39 sec)
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:49 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,163 Posts
For some reason my phone cant load the vid, so I went directly to youtube and put the exact title into the search box and all that came up was a bunch of stuff about Gullivers Travels and Tom Sawyer?
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:28 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,286 Posts
Is that tear into stock? That's pretty good speed for a stock NQD
boaterguy is offline Find More Posts by boaterguy
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:16 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,163 Posts
I cant see the vid but i can assure you wparsons isnt driving a stock NQD
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:19 PM
Drammen rock city. Norway
Joined Aug 2009
238 Posts
Good IQ from that gopro
maxmekker is offline Find More Posts by maxmekker
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:56 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,286 Posts
Didn't notice the username, but that makes sense.
boaterguy is offline Find More Posts by boaterguy
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:22 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
Nice vids. GoPro quality is excellent. I think I need one.

Is that your FRS in the avatar?
ryan_t888 is offline Find More Posts by ryan_t888
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:03 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,163 Posts
Got home and could watch it now, nice stuff there w!
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:16 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,356 Posts
Nice vids w. I think the hero2 does a much better job than the hero like I have. Mine tends to "bend" the horizon and that bugs me.

PS I didn't buy the naza you were looking at. I'm just going to bite the bullet and get a new one.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:02 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterguy View Post
Is that tear into stock? That's pretty good speed for a stock NQD
Definitely not stock, it's running a 3200kv 450 outrunner on 3s. I barely got above half throttle anywhere in the video, the perception of speed from onboard is crazy fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
I cant see the vid but i can assure you wparsons isnt driving a stock NQD
Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_t888 View Post
Nice vids. GoPro quality is excellent. I think I need one.

Is that your FRS in the avatar?
I got the Hero2 as a gift, and the quality is VERY impressive for what it is. The only issue I've had with videos is smudges on the casing that I didn't see before filming something

The FR-S is mine, had it about 3 weeks now. Such a fun car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
Nice vids w. I think the hero2 does a much better job than the hero like I have. Mine tends to "bend" the horizon and that bugs me.

PS I didn't buy the naza you were looking at. I'm just going to bite the bullet and get a new one.
The Hero2 lets you pick the FOV in 1080p mode, and I have it set to mid (127*), with it on wide (170*) it's the same as 1080p on the original Hero and it's quite distorted. I could go even narrower to the narrow setting (90*), but I like the perspective from the middle setting.

I'm not picking up the Naza either, I've decided to either wait for the OpenPilot CC3D, or pick up a Quadrino Zoom.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:38 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
The Hero2 lets you pick the FOV in 1080p mode, and I have it set to mid (127*), with it on wide (170*) it's the same as 1080p on the original Hero and it's quite distorted. I could go even narrower to the narrow setting (90*), but I like the perspective from the middle setting.
I remember in the manual that I can chage the FOV in mine as well but then it's not shooting in 1080p. Maybe I'll try that and see if it gets rid of the distortion. Even if it's at a lower quality I'll like it better without the circular look around the edges. (might even get lucky and make the target look a little bigger as well).
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:59 AM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
I didn't realize you can change the FOV. You are using 127 FOV? What is the FOV for a typical point and shoot camera?

Ya, I've been watching that cars progress for nearly 3 years. So nice. I hope in a generation or two, power will go way up in stock form. Toyota needs something to compete against American rwd sports cars.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:24 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
Being able to change the FOV while still in 1080p is new to the Hero2, older ones could only change FOV if you changed resolution.

As for the car, go drive one before you claim it's low on lower. They're much lighter than anything american(about 700lbs lighter than a Camaro!), and very quick on a track. With equivalent tires (the stock ones suck), it's faster around a track than a WRX or MazdaSpeed 3 despite being down on hp. Quick testing on some tracks have shown ~5 second gains with nothing more than a tire change, on ~2 minute laps.

It's not meant to be a muscle car, so don't expect it to "compete" with American cars.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:04 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
I think I need to put a Go Pro on the birthday list this fall. I want to mount it on everything including the RC's, my car, and even my forehead!

No I have not driven it. Went in the passenger seat at a Scion promotional event at a racetrack with a professional driver. It was well worth the 3-1/2 hour wait in line. It does very well for what is was designed to do, even with the Prius rubber. I really do love the car, I just happen to fall in to a lot of hype and rumors.

However, I have realized I don't track my car as much as I thought I would ever do so. As a commuter car I am using it for that. Passing power for the highway and acceleration lanes seems to be fun.
Although the run up to 8200rpm in my lightly modded first gen Corolla XRS did not seem to be that much slower than the Scion.
Competing with American muscle is quite a huge exaggeration on my part. Back to reality, I would wish for it to walk by a Genesis in a straight line.
The only thing Toyota has ever lacked is power.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:33 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
I've had my gopro strapped to everything I can find, my dog included! Definitely a fun accessory and I get lots of use from it!

The car is not much slower in a straight line than the genesis, that's a porky car too at about 3400lbs for the 2.0T. It's definitely slower, but not as drastic as the hp/tq difference suggests.

I can tell you that in a straight line it's much quicker than a matrix XRS (with the 2ZZ).