SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:02 PM
BC, Canada
Joined Nov 2006
22 Posts
Discussion
HK light strips, 4s ?

Anyone know if you can run the light strips from Hobby King with 4s , or will that blow them ? I have a couple wings set up for night flying with those light strips and I have been running them on 3s but would like to bump them up to 4s and I don't really want to run a seperate batt if I don't have to.
Ron
Ronnie2 is offline Find More Posts by Ronnie2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:12 PM
RCPlaye
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Aug 2009
711 Posts
I really don't see the point, there pretty bright as is.
CoolBudz is offline Find More Posts by CoolBudz
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:19 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,754 Posts
4S voltage will almost double the current through the LEDs - probably too much.

(The three LEDs in each set drop about ~3 volts, and ~3 is dropped in the series resistors. On 4S the resistor will have to drop ~7 volts, so the current will more than double)

A full strip draw ~400 ma, so if you put a 10ohm resistor in series with each strip it will drop the required 4 volts. Should be a 2 watt resistor.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:40 PM
BC, Canada
Joined Nov 2006
22 Posts
I'm not trying to get the lights to be any brighter, I just allready have the lights wired into my esc to batt wires and I want to run 4s to get more power out of the motor ( I run the same Arc motor on my other wings in the day on 4s and there perfect ) just wondering if I just plug in the 4s if it will pop all my lights or not, I guess I could just try it, then I'll know, just thought someone else might have tryed running the light strips on 4s.
Thanks, Ron
Old Jan 07, 2012, 12:04 AM
BC, Canada
Joined Nov 2006
22 Posts
Thanks Pat, I'm sure thats the proper thing to do if I want to run a 4s lipo, but do you know if 4s will pop the lights or just reduce the lifetime expectancy ?
Thanks, Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
4S voltage will almost double the current through the LEDs - probably too much.

(The three LEDs in each set drop about ~3 volts, and ~3 is dropped in the series resistors. On 4S the resistor will have to drop ~7 volts, so the current will more than double)

A full strip draw ~400 ma, so if you put a 10ohm resistor in series with each strip it will drop the required 4 volts. Should be a 2 watt resistor.

Pat MacKenzie
Old Jan 07, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined Dec 2002
16,754 Posts
I can't be sure, but they run pretty hot as they are, so doubling the current would be a lot.

You could do an experiment, cut off one segment from the strip and connect it to the 4S pack. There are three LEDs in each segment, and perforations where you cut them apart from the rest of the strip. You won't wreck a full strip this way

(And FWIW, if you want to test the added resistor 10 ohms would be too small for a single segment, should be about 170 ohms per segment)

Pat MacKenzie
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1 Posts
I use them on 4s on my PZ Stryker and Habu.

So far without any problems.

And they have a decent amount of runs on them so far.

I did found it strange that they are not really brighter then on 3s but that was not what i was after either.
Tjagga is offline Find More Posts by Tjagga
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:33 PM
Major Electron Addiction
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Aug 2006
574 Posts
You can make an adapter for the balance tap and get 3s voltage to the LED's.

I'm doing that on my 4s planes. If you take a volt meter and check the voltage between the negative and each positive terminal on the balance tap, you will find that they increase by 3.7-4.2 volts per terminal.
rodsmith123 is offline Find More Posts by rodsmith123
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsmith123 View Post
You can make an adapter for the balance tap and get 3s voltage to the LED's.

I'm doing that on my 4s planes. If you take a volt meter and check the voltage between the negative and each positive terminal on the balance tap, you will find that they increase by 3.7-4.2 volts per terminal.
If you are going to do that make sure you use a balancing charger, since it will always leave the 4th cell higher than the rest.

Pat MacKenzie
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:10 AM
not insane; Mom had me tested
Marietta Ga.
Joined Apr 2005
820 Posts
i have been testing a 2 foot strip on 4 cell for the last 2 hours. they are at least 25% brighter and so far have not burnt out. they are warmer than 3 cell. I want to build a night flying fpv tricopter and use some 5050 white led strips to light up the ground for low level flying. thinking of making 6 strips 8" long in a stack under the camera pointed slightly down.
hallstudio is offline Find More Posts by hallstudio
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:59 PM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
698 Posts
I run my tricopter on 4s about 10 minutes at a time and no burnouts after about 30 flights
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:32 PM
Who needs roads?
Southport,N.W. England
Joined Nov 2007
384 Posts
I run on 4s no problem on my Y6 And my disco without any problem.

Y6 Hexacopter-Open Pilot Copter Control (4 min 13 sec)

CC3D-TBS Discovery -Moondance (4 min 39 sec)
Jake Bullit is online now Find More Posts by Jake Bullit