HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:37 PM
LOOK MOM! TEN THUMBS!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Aug 2009
471 Posts
TX first.

BUT

I just had a "face palm" moment. Im sitting out there watching the pretty blue light flash, I happen to look down at my TX and see it! My throttle trim at 50%. Doh!

Apparently when I set up this one I skipped that part.

So I lowers the ole trim to 0 and give er another go! sure nuff bound right up 3 times in a row.

Ty, check your throttle trim!
desertdweller is offline Find More Posts by desertdweller
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:41 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
Are you binding it right side up or upside down? Try leaving it upside down and try...
really? I thought you had to bind it with all four on the floor so the gyros would do their thing. It seems to me like I would bind it upside down then I would have to unplug it but then I would have to rebind it since I unplugged it then I would have to flip it right side up again? Right? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdweller View Post
If you figure this out, let me know......Ive been having the same problem with my DX7/MQX. Every time I plug in a new battery its like my DX7 and MQX have never "met" before and I have to rebind.

Ive only had my MQX for a couple days now...I have 8 flights on it now and have had to rebind 8 times ie. Hold the bind button in and turn on the TX or else the MQX just sits there and fast flashes.

TY question for you. do you have a heli or plane DX7? In my case I have a heli version. I set up a acro model for the MQX ( the only acro model I have on this TX of 5 aircraft) Maybe my heli TX doesnt like airplanes
I have the plane version of DX7 and I have tried it with my dx5e also because that is what I planned on using most of the time anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
Just checking.... do you power up the heli or the transmitter first? If you power the heli without the transmitter on, it goes into bind mode and when you subsequently power up the transmitter it will look like you lost your bind. You need to have the transmitter on and actually transmitting BEFORE you power the heli.

Paul
I always power on the transmitter first and let it sit for 5 seconds before turning on the quad.

Quote:
TX first.

BUT

I just had a "face palm" moment. Im sitting out there watching the pretty blue light flash, I happen to look down at my TX and see it! My throttle trim at 50%. Doh!

Apparently when I set up this one I skipped that part.

So I lowers the ole trim to 0 and give er another go! sure nuff bound right up 3 times in a row.

Ty, check your throttle trim!
Yeah, I have all of my channels trimmed to zero! I called HH and they said that there could be a problem with the board.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:18 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
No you can initialize it in any position. The gyro doesn't know absolute positioning, only angular acceleration, and the initialization phase doesn't measure a position, it measures noise level in the internals. Allowing the helicopter to vibrate during that measurement will cause incorrect readings of the noise level, and may cause the gyro to ignore to much of the signal, giving poor control.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:18 PM
LOOK MOM! TEN THUMBS!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Aug 2009
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
Yeah, I have all of my channels trimmed to zero! I called HH and they said that there could be a problem with the board.
No. I mean lower your throttle trim all the way down to the bottom.

Typically all your trims will be in the center. You will want your rudder trim centered, your aileron trim centered, and your elevator trim centered. Then lower your throttle trim all the way down. If your throttle trim is centered your TX is probably sending a tiny bit of throttle signal to your MQX and the safety features in the esc wont let the esc bind if you have any throttle......kinda the same as if your throttle stick was up a little....it wont bind.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
If the throttle trim is not centered, and your throttle stick is all the way back, and the system "is sending a tiny bit of throttle signal", then having the throttle trim all the way back prevents one from reducing that faulty signal, while having the throttle trim centered allows one to reduce the signal just a bit more, yes?
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:42 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
If the throttle trim is not centered, and your throttle stick is all the way back, and the system "is sending a tiny bit of throttle signal", then having the throttle trim all the way back prevents one from reducing that faulty signal, while having the throttle trim centered allows one to reduce the signal just a bit more, yes?
No, the ESC is calibrated to the throttle.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:50 PM
LOOK MOM! TEN THUMBS!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Aug 2009
471 Posts
No a throttle trim doesnt work like the other trims. With all the other trims you have two directions (left &right, up & down etc.) for instance take your rudder trim, if your heli/plane/quad is turning to the right on its own then you have too much right "signal" so you add left trim or signal to turn it the other way ( or hold it centered).

A throttle doesnt have below off ( in aircraft..in cars I guess going the other way from center would be reverse). So in aircraft all the way down is off anything above off is on (to greater degerees and motor speeds) so in essence if your throttle and throttle trim was all the way down you are sending no signal at all.......If your throttle stick was all the way down and you started moving the trim up you would start sending throttle signal to your aircraft and your rotors would start spinning (even though your stick was still all the way down)

Also if your trim was say 3/4 the way up and you chopped the throttle to off your motors would stay running because your trim is still sending "on" signals.

You can go out and try yourself, if you plug in your heli, then slowly advance the trim from 0% (bottom) to 100% (top) your rotors will start spinning even though the throttle stick stayed all the way down.

With electric helis etc., you always want your throttle trim all the way down.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
A trim doesn't know or care what channel it's attached to. The original post suggested that the radio was triggering a signal of some throttle application even with the stick all the way back. If the throttle stick is all the way back and the trim is centered, pulling the trim back will reduce that signal that much more, unless there is a fault or failure in the circuit.

One of my radios uses digital trims. There is no all the way back or all the way up. When the radio is turned on, the trims are zeroed and the throttle trim is not all the way back. I can press the trim-back button and watch the trim indicator move downward. If the throttle is properly at zero, it will not go lower, but if it is not properly at zero, it will go to zero, if there is enough range remaining in the trim.
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:20 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,992 Posts
Quote:
A trim doesn't know or care what channel it's attached to. The original post suggested that the radio was triggering a signal of some throttle application even with the stick all the way back. If the throttle stick is all the way back and the trim is centered, pulling the trim back will reduce that signal that much more, unless there is a fault or failure in the circuit.

One of my radios uses digital trims. There is no all the way back or all the way up. When the radio is turned on, the trims are zeroed and the throttle trim is not all the way back. I can press the trim-back button and watch the trim indicator move downward. If the throttle is properly at zero, it will not go lower, but if it is not properly at zero, it will go to zero, if there is enough range remaining in the trim.
Digital trims do in fact have a full up and full down position. If you can't zero the throttle with the stick, then you need to recalibrate.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:22 PM
LOOK MOM! TEN THUMBS!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Aug 2009
471 Posts
What kind of radio do you have?

On my DX7 (digital trims) when I turn it on the trims are at the last position I put them in before I turned the TX off....if my trim is all the way down (for throttle) or say left (for aileron) when I turn off the TX, then when I turn the TX on again the trims are still in the same full down or left position that i left them in.

So your saying that if your throttle stick is fully down and your throttle trim is centered that you can lower your throttle trim and send even less signal? I fail to see how you can send less signal than zero?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:26 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,992 Posts
Indeed, desert, and I have never, ever had an ESC that needed trim, as the calibration process takes care of everything.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:33 PM
LOOK MOM! TEN THUMBS!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Aug 2009
471 Posts
Quote:
The original post suggested that the radio was triggering a signal of some throttle application even with the stick all the way back.
If you dont believe me go out and try it!

Turn on your TX, lower the throttle trim all the way down. Then with the stick in the down position, plug in your quad...let it initalize. Then without moving the throttle stick slowly advance the trim, at about 50% (centered) or just a little bit more the rotors will start spinning. EVEN THOUGH YOUR THROTTLE IS FULLY DOWN.

When we fly nitro helis we use this feature all the time to adjust our idle rpm.
Last edited by desertdweller; Oct 23, 2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:35 PM
LOOK MOM! TEN THUMBS!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Aug 2009
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Indeed, desert, and I have never, ever had an ESC that needed trim, as the calibration process takes care of everything.
Absolutely! but in my experience sometimes the TX sends just enough signal to trip the esc safety features.

When I started flying electric helis about 8 years ago I had the ole HBFP v1 you could never have any trim in your throttle or the heli wouldnt initalize. Also if you crashed and you had trim in your throttle the heli would do the chicken dance and you would smoke your 4n1 even though you chopped the throttle before impact.
Last edited by desertdweller; Oct 23, 2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: still cant spell
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:39 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Absolutely! but in my experience sometimes the TX sends just enough signal to trip the esc safety features.
Which is why they say to calibrate with the tim all the way down.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:42 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
What kind of radio do you have?

On my DX7 (digital trims) when I turn it on the trims are at the last position I put them in before I turned the TX off....if my trim is all the way down (for throttle) or say left (for aileron) when I turn off the TX, then when I turn the TX on again the trims are still in the same full down or left position that i left them in.

So your saying that if your throttle stick is fully down and your throttle trim is centered that you can lower your throttle trim and send even less signal? I fail to see how you can send less signal than zero?
The actual numbers that the radio is sending are integers in the range 0-1024 or 0-2048 for high end radios. Those numbers are mapped internally to percentages around center and the percentages go from -125 to +125. When you set the throttle to zero, it's really -100 and you could go 25 points lower than that.

Most aircraft speed controllers calibrate the zero point on startup, but it needs to be low enough, and some speed controllers just don't think zero is low enough.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501