HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:04 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
CF rod

hey hawk
I don't know that the size is as important as just to get the weak point @ the fuse reinforced.
I'm really not sure but my fix was probably 2 to 4mm.
the problem is there is no continious reinforcement from wing to fuse.
All I did was cut 3 each 5 or 6 in long pc's for each side and go from the inside of the fuse thru into the wing.
My problem solved. Maybe I should say THAT problem. My problem may never be solved.
Hope this helps.
good luck
chuck
Retired Relic is offline Find More Posts by Retired Relic
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:45 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,541 Posts
Cold weather synbrome - Dynam stock sets.

I have had difficulty in ambients below 67F to operate a lead to an emergency landing of my Grand Cruiser. Now, I tested a brand new set of Detrum servo less retracts (same manufacturer of the stock ones that bind in colder) and placed additional them over up like the stock units in the freezer.
captain MoMo is offline Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:54 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
l, I tested a brand new set of Detrum servo less retracts (same manufacturer of the stock ones that bind in colder) and placed additional them over up like the stock units in the freezer.
What????
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:19 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
What????
New language .............. gibberish.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:31 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
well?????
Retired Relic is offline Find More Posts by Retired Relic
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:49 AM
High Voltage
Motorcity
Joined Sep 2010
328 Posts
Picked up 2 new 3cell, 2650mah, 55c batteries for my g.c.

This was my first plane I ever bought, learned to fly fixed wing on it, has about 75 flights , still going strong. I have heavy modded v1, and absolutely no problem flying in cold with the fixed gear :-)
shock is offline Find More Posts by shock
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:50 AM
High Voltage
Motorcity
Joined Sep 2010
328 Posts
Also run counter rotating props with no problems. My engines are not shim right at all, they are centered with fuse, looking down at them.
shock is offline Find More Posts by shock
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:22 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
Cold weather synbrome - Dynam stock sets.

I have had difficulty in ambients below 67F to operate a lead to an emergency landing of my Grand Cruiser. Now, I tested a brand new set of Detrum servo less retracts (same manufacturer of the stock ones that bind in colder) and placed additional them over up like the stock units in the freezer.
Don't understand the cold weather syndrome! Flew both my GC and TurboJet yesterday with temps in the upper 50's and lower 60's and had NO problems. All Dynam stock retracts,
bamaguy is online now Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:01 PM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
Don't understand the cold weather syndrome! Flew both my GC and TurboJet yesterday with temps in the upper 50's and lower 60's and had NO problems. All Dynam stock retracts,
I cant say for sure about the newest version cuz I don't have it, but CWS is very real on my "older version gear" below 55F.
Dont ask me how I know.
Anything below that, and you may as well plan on landing with one or all gears up.

If you have the older gear, then you were flying within 5 degrees of failure.
HTH you not meet with the same fate as I.
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:12 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,541 Posts
Quote:
What????
It's called iPhone language !! Sorry for the gibberish ;-)

What I am saying is that my GC retracts do not operate reliably in colder than 67F ambient temperatures. However, I tested a Detrum replacement servo less retract by placing it in the freezer for 25 minutes and it still operated. Could it be that the factory assembled retracts are the only problematic retracts and the parts are not? I have the same retract issues with my Turbojet. I have ready performed an emergency landing with now wheels with the GC. Thoughts and comments now that I tried to explain in English? ;-)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:04 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,679 Posts
Spyro,

Are you running 4S with the Stock C310 motors and esc's ? It's Cyber Monday and was trying to get in on the madness at HK. Gens Ace are almost always sold out.

-Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:06 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,417 Posts
It just seems to be a problem at least with the majority of the stock gear that comes with the kits. I had the problem with my GC and then bought the Turbo jet and had the same problem. I replaced the gear on both planes with PZ-15090 that I got through Hobby Partz, and haven't had a gear problem since.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:22 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,541 Posts
Quote:
It just seems to be a problem at least with the majority of the stock gear that comes with the kits. I had the problem with my GC and then bought the Turbo jet and had the same problem. I replaced the gear on both planes with PZ-15090 that I got through Hobby Partz, and haven't had a gear problem since.
I have also purchased the PZ retracts and will be replacing soon but I noticed this fact that the spares I had purchased work even in freezing conditions. Thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:51 PM
Beaverton, Oregon
Joined Jul 2003
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
"CWS" probably usually won't affect you until the temp gets down into the mid- to lower-40's. Even then, it's not a sure thing. Both my Dynam GC and Turbojet had one or more OEM retracts go intermittent in the cold, but my Dynam T-28 (with the very same OEM units) has never had any retract issues.

The HobbyPartz 15090 replacements I used on the GC have never faltered, no matter how cold.

"YMMV", as they say...

Good luck,
-- Rod
rrobbins is offline Find More Posts by rrobbins
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:18 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,679 Posts
When the wife's away, RC guys will play! My wife went out of town for a week so no snarly looks or remarks when the UPS man arrives at the door. Expecting large box delivery from Grayson tomorrow. Oh Baby! Can't wait ! I'm in RC heaven for the next week ! Kitchen table cleared. Sports on TV, Pizza, and my two dogs and me !

In anticipation, I've been getting organized based on all of the great advice from within this thread. Ordered special graphics from Callie.Told her to surprise me. Ordered a light kit from Headsup with a rx nicad batt. Has anyone modded the stock lights? The kit was only $12.00 and the battery $7.00. $2.00 to ship as usual. I'll take a look at them and determinine if they are worth the trouble. I'd like to set it up so that the landing lights illuminate when the gear switch is deployed . Probably need to wire these lights into the gear wiring so they work off the gear switch. Might be a youtube on this somewhere.Was even thinking about adding interior cabin lights that come on the same way but I'm getting way ahead of myself.

First things first. Fly the plane !

Already have the CF rod so that should go according to Hoyle. AMbient temp will be over 70F so I don't anticipate retract issues due to cold temps.

We have a club meeting and every month we have a little sidebar 'Model of the Month' contest. You get a plaque with your first win, then wings to add to the plaque with wins thereafter. I won a plaque last year for a scratchbuilt F4J Phantom II foamie. Who knows? Maybe I'll have the C310 ready to enter by Tuesday night.

WIll post pics once I've got her ready for the dance. Thanks again guys for inspiring me to go with the Dynam 310.

Cheers,

Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47