SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2014, 05:50 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,559 Posts
With the particular prop saver and prop you are using, I prefer to use it (the prop saver) the other way around so that the little flat piece set againsts the shallow on the prop hub.
There are many different prop saver designs out there. I would also move the prop saver so it is right up against the bell, less chance of bending the shaft.
Blue loctite (plenty) on the shaft, the prop saver screws and the two little screws that hold the motor into the mount.

Were most of the vids/pictures on a conventional tractor type setup?
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2014, 05:52 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,559 Posts
you can get "pusher" props, but usually the only difference from a regular prop is the direction of rotation - CCW vs CW
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Oct 20, 2014, 05:58 PM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaiboxer04 View Post
Yes, the picture definitely helped for sure. I'm still kind of confused though. On every video I watched with prop savers... it always looks as if the cone on the saver recesses into the deep socket on the propeller so the prop touches the shaft screws on the saver. I did that and it was obviously wrong. Now that it's on correctly... the shallow indent on the prop hub is touching the saver
Like Tom, I run mine with the flat side towards the prop. I push the prop saver down the shaft just enough so the shaft has enough purchase on the inside of the prop to keep it centered well, but not far enough to where the shaft will keep it from coming off.
nightfox7 is offline Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Oct 20, 2014, 06:06 PM
United States, PA, Irwin
Joined May 2013
30 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to turn the prop saver around now and loctite it. I just thought that tiny surface at the end of the cone didnt look like much surface area to keep the prop from tilting under a load but yea... the other side is a bigger diameter to mount against.
thaiboxer04 is offline Find More Posts by thaiboxer04
Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
322 Posts
Prop savers aren't worth the hassle. It doesn't seem to make sense, but I think you'll find after some experience with your wings that you rarely break props.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM
United States, CA, Rio Vista
Joined Feb 2012
1,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
Prop savers aren't worth the hassle. It doesn't seem to make sense, but I think you'll find after some experience with your wings that you rarely break props.
That matches my experience exactly. Lost 2 props after prop saver came undone in high weeds. No broken props (or loss) since switching to fixed mounted props.
OldDmbThms is offline Find More Posts by OldDmbThms
Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM
United States, PA, Irwin
Joined May 2013
30 Posts
That's good news! The less that breaks the better. I actually thought with the design and no landing gears... there would be a folding prop on these.
Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
631 Posts
The biggest benefit I see with prop savers is being able to switch out props without tools. I use blue exercise tubing sliced in cross-section to hold on my props. For the high-KV stuff, I use 2 cross-sections and it is held very stiff to the saver hardware.
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,152 Posts
I like the prop savers. I think they do save propellers over the hard mounted systems where the prop can't move plus like others it is nice to be able to change a prop without tools.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
United States, PA, Irwin
Joined May 2013
30 Posts
Hey... while you're here Lee... great product!! Looking forward to building a grim reaper in the spring!!
Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,152 Posts
I have been doing a lot of wing flying lately. I think I flew 5 times in the last 3 weeks and one of those times was a sWARm. I would have flown more but we went and visited the kids out of town. I got thinking I should have taken a couple of planes.

I think my favorite trunk planes aren the two Assassins that are in the build videos. I have them both over powered and way too much throw. Both will go straight up and roll about 3X a second. Only copy the set up if you are in need of aggression therapy and you can fly well enough to stay ahead of the plane. They are flying in the 90 mph range but it is the power in the climbs that have me addicted.

For any of you who don't know the new Pulse batteries are great. I now have 12 of them I like them so well. I have been getting the 1350-3S-35C batteries. Don't look at the ratings because they are different than other batteries I have used. They stay cool with a 3530-1700 KV motor with a 7x6 prop and they don't puff. Here is a link but if you google them you can find them at other places too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PULSE-11-1-1...item1e90b85f77

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...ttery&_sacat=0
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Yesterday at 01:07 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Mar 2013
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDmbThms View Post
That matches my experience exactly. Lost 2 props after prop saver came undone in high weeds. No broken props (or loss) since switching to fixed mounted props.
I have had more damage to the plane and props with the saver than its worth. With fixed I have never broken a prop because of landing or or anything like that. Most aircraft use fixed so should your wing! Now in combat props are a different story. If you are not breaking props in combat then somethings wrong!
sr175 is offline Find More Posts by sr175
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM
United States, CA, Rio Vista
Joined Feb 2012
1,138 Posts
But a folding prop would be interesting. Does anyone have a link to a 6x4 folding prop that has been used successively on the Assasin. ( it would fit my Unicorn also....I got the Unicorn kit at swap meet cheap, if I had it to do over would have spent the money for CTH that glides well.)
OldDmbThms is offline Find More Posts by OldDmbThms
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,116 Posts
I don't use a prop saver--If you set the brake on your ESC you can position your prop on landing to be level or near level with your wing--it won't break a prop.
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird