New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2015, 12:53 PM
Find More Posts by Jim Petro
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
1,131 Posts
HK Mini-Katana EDF

I couldn't pass up the sale on the Katana.
I have discovered a few problems, but all in all it is well worth it.
After a couple flights, I discovered both stabilizers were loose. The push rods were holding them in place ! It seems that the mold release is still on. The epoxy used to glue the tail on peeled right off. Clean with 91% alcohol before gluing.
At high speed, there is a yaw oscillation. I added a 3/4" plywood keel for aero stability and to also give a better grip to launch. It solved both problems. At high speed it also pitches up. Using a throttle to elevator mix helps but sub trim and balance may need to be used.
The landing has a surprise, also. When you cut power, the large air intakes act like dive brakes. The nose suddenly drops. The plane needs to have power-on landing.
For it's size, the plane covers the sky quickly and is very agile. One of the best flyers in the club helped in the first flights; His comment is that it keeps you on your toes. . . . but he had a big smile while saying that.
I blew out the fan blades completely. All my EDFs are modified with a Bob Violett inspired air diverter cone that directs the inflow directly to the blades without touching the spinner part. This is the 4th cheap plastic rotor that I have red-lined with the more efficient airflow in my EDF planes. The rotor is replaced. The next test will also have a rear cone to remove turbulence behind the motor. The static test shows it is much quieter. This is still the stock 3s Lipo.
I will need to find a source for a stronger EDF to withstand the higher RPM.
Maybe it is from the higher speed, but the decals are peeling off. The skin needs the alky cleaning or the paint won't stick.
Wish we had a lawyer in the club to tell when we are having too much fun.
Jim Petro is offline Find More Posts by Jim Petro
to remove ads between posts