HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:14 AM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
United States, MS, Gulfport
Joined Dec 2010
270 Posts
Help!
Coroplast cutting help needed

So I've decided to build a SPAD Gnat. I have all the required pieces and parts. But does anybody know a good way to cut the flutes...when the cuts are at angles or crossing the flutes?
Thanks in advance,
Kenny
KenSue is offline Find More Posts by KenSue
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:38 PM
David Drowns
Southern California
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
Use a box cutter. If you want a good straight line, use a straight edge. You don't have to cut it all in one slice. That's all for the 4mm. With the 2mm coro a good pair of utility scissors works well.
Mig Man is offline Find More Posts by Mig Man
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:49 PM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Joined Dec 2010
270 Posts
That's what I figured...and was already prepared to do it that way. Just didn't know if there was any tool made for that purpose...or a trick, tip or technique that would help. Thanks for confirming that for me!
Kenny
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:22 PM
David Drowns
Southern California
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
Well there is another tip, or trick, that I feel is the BEST way to cut out planes for combat.
It's nice to have friends who are willing to help! Sometimes one is just not enough.

The best way to cut out combat airplanes Laser Cutting July 2009 (4 min 25 sec)

Laser cuting rc combat planes for palomar flyers. (7 min 59 sec)
Last edited by Mig Man; Jan 06, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:40 PM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Joined Dec 2010
270 Posts
The videos are telling me they're not available...but believe me, if I had access to that technology I would be all over it. Oh well, back to praying I don't slip when I start cutting. Thanks for the help. The cool thing is I'm not the only one starting this at my field. There's another guy who's getting ready to build his first one also. But he's going brushless. Me, I want noise and fuel!!!!!
Thanks again!
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:45 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,697 Posts
Then there is the two hook cutter blades on a handle with a 3/32" spacer between for cutting the hinge slot. That also works for long cuts with the flute. It is on the Spad to the Bone site I think. There is a guy around here that cuts kits with a CNC using a router bit, and another guy does the indoor foamies pretty much the same say.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:02 PM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Joined Dec 2010
270 Posts
I haven't even looked into the hinge tool. Not real sure about the hinges. I thought you just cut one side of 2 flutes, remove the spine...then the other side of the sheet is now your hinge. I thought I would do it that way, then just for some reinforcement...add hinge tape (all of my glow planes have hinge tape, just to seal the seam and try to reduce any possibility of flutter....so I guess because i'm used to using the stuff I just figured i would). Does any of that sound wrong?
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:23 PM
David Drowns
Southern California
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
No hinge tape needed. In fact to ease the movement I make several slices in my hinges so it's easier on the servos. Never had any problems with the coro hinges not holding up.

In this video you can see a hinge being cut out with a hook blade at 27 seconds in. Notice how he flexes the hinge after cutting it. It appears stiff because it is. After the plane is assembled is when I cut several slices, up to 1 1/2" long, leaving coro hinges about the same length and it flexes much easier.

Palomar Flyers Combat - Coroplast MiG-3 Combat Plane Build-A-Thon (3 min 34 sec)
Last edited by Mig Man; Jan 06, 2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:35 PM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Joined Dec 2010
270 Posts
Thanks guys!
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:36 AM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Joined Dec 2010
270 Posts
One more question. I am building it per the plans. On the plans it shows the screw tips sticking out the bottom of the fuselage. Do most leave them that way, maybe as an advantage for cutting streamers? Or is it ok to cover the bottom of the fuse (referring mainly to the rules, but in general also) with say a thin strip of plexiglass...so you don't tear up your car seats? I'll post a photo of where I'm at with the plane in the near future.
Thanks again,
Kenny
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:43 AM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Joined Dec 2010
270 Posts
Well, if I figured out how to upload the photo's from my phone. Here she is. The main wing is not bolted down, because I'm waiting to do that until after I mount the motor mount. But I can't do that until I get the motor, so I know how big to cut the slot for the motor. By the way, I've got a nib Magnum .15XLS on it's way...thanks to a fellow RC Grouper from the classified section! It will be here tomorrow.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:02 PM
jacksonville florida
Joined Feb 2005
499 Posts
hey kenny that looks sick, it reminds me of the pizzabox planes that my dad and i bought at the perry ga swap meet several years ago, except your has a tail, man those things were selling like hotcakes, and were alot of fun to fly.you have a nice build there craig
cbear is offline Find More Posts by cbear
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:26 PM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Joined Dec 2010
270 Posts
Thanks Craig. And thanks for the motor, tracking shows it showing up tomorrow! Totally Psyched! Only bummer is I have to work the next 2 days...so Friday is projected to be the finish it day!!!
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:48 PM
David Drowns
Southern California
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSue View Post
One more question. I am building it per the plans. On the plans it shows the screw tips sticking out the bottom of the fuselage. Do most leave them that way, maybe as an advantage for cutting streamers? Or is it ok to cover the bottom of the fuse (referring mainly to the rules, but in general also) with say a thin strip of plexiglass...so you don't tear up your car seats? I'll post a photo of where I'm at with the plane in the near future.
Thanks again,
Kenny
I haven't built one of these yet.
The rules do allow for small tweaks in finishing styles.
I wouldn't want a sharp point hanging out there where it could get ME! or my car seats.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:41 AM
Team Rag-A-Muffin'
Joined Dec 2010
270 Posts
Thanks Mig Man. I have a couple of other ideas on how to solve the problem...stuff I've done before on other planes. Thanks again for all the help guys!