HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2014, 04:36 PM
can't dance..so let's fly.
da zenith of indecision..
Joined Jun 2008
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarcillac View Post
Built a 24" for the gym out of 3mm Depron. First flight was going fine until I hit a 4in square vertical goal post at end of gym. Fuse broke in two. Fixed everything, and went to our flying field as there was zero wind. The blue baby was flying really well. Managed to get it trimmed up ok. Then disaster struck, when I did a tight turn. The wings just folded. I am only using a 9gm motor from HK, so don't think its over powered. Tried again with a spare set of wings that I had with me. Same result. Back to the workshop and now glued in to underside of wing a bamboo bar b q skewer as a dihedral brace. So hopefully will find out this weekend if that works.
Should I have used 6mm Depron for the wing, as the plans don't show thickness of material to be used.
6mm not necessary,try adding a layer of colored shipping tape (not fg tape) to the bottom of the wing,it's light & adds a tremendous amount of strength.
I like to use spray glue (Elmers) on the wing bottom first.let it set for a few minutes then apply tape.
go over it with a warm shrink iron & you are good to go.
JOE-TELLY is offline Find More Posts by JOE-TELLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2014, 05:33 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Aug 2008
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFlyer View Post
As an enticement to join our club, I built these two Blu-Baby's to give to any new member who joins next year.

We've got a few people with no RC experience who have come out to our field a few times and I'm hoping a free airframe will give them the incentive to take the plunge.

Marc
www.laaeromodelers.org
Do those wings have dihedral or are there ailerons? I've been using a 4-40 wing beefed up with bamboo skewers and tape for strength. The wing can handle a lot of wind and the stress of full throttle loops, but I wouldn't mind trying another wing design for my next build. I like the simple elevator/rudder design so I can train others to fly easily.
chadr is online now Find More Posts by chadr
Old Nov 14, 2014, 06:58 PM
Close enough
United States, NM, Los Alamos
Joined Jun 2008
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadr View Post
Do those wings have dihedral or are there ailerons? I've been using a 4-40 wing beefed up with bamboo skewers and tape for strength. The wing can handle a lot of wind and the stress of full throttle loops, but I wouldn't mind trying another wing design for my next build. I like the simple elevator/rudder design so I can train others to fly easily.
Chadr,
It is the KFm3 "sport" wing shown in the first post. It does not have ailerons, and it does have dihedral. So the planes are rudder/elevator/throttle.

I think it's a little more crash resistant than the under-cambered wing. Though I had to add an inch to each side (2" greater wingspan overall) so it wouldn't tip stall as easily at slow speeds. That may be because my flying field is at 7400' ASL.

Marc
AtomicFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AtomicFlyer
Old Nov 22, 2014, 02:23 PM
United States, MA, Brewster
Joined Nov 2014
24 Posts
Excuse a first timers ignorance, but I am close to finishing my first plane, a 33 inch blu baby. My question is, I see people talking about launching by hand throw. When you land won't you break off the propeller? When is lg appropriāe vs hand launch? Thanks
rcor8645 is offline Find More Posts by rcor8645
Old Nov 22, 2014, 03:17 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,854 Posts
With the BB, an easy way to land is just cut the throttle on final approach and glide it in deadstick. I got so used to doing that whether i had landing gear on or not that when i built and started flying planes that needed some power on to land under control that it was a whole 'nuther learning curve! The BB glides so nicely that you pretty much can let it land itself - almost hands off.

I will say, takeoffs and landings are almost as much fun as flying, though! So when you're ready, try the gear.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OneSheeter#17 OSC140 debut
Old Nov 22, 2014, 03:31 PM
Joined Nov 2014
24 Posts
Thanks springer, but what about breaking the prop?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 05:23 PM
United States, ID, Twin Falls
Joined Sep 2005
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcor8645 View Post
Thanks springer, but what about breaking the prop?
Cutting the power saves the prop. It simply rotates out of the way... no damage.
deuxchevaux is offline Find More Posts by deuxchevaux
Old Nov 22, 2014, 06:26 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Aug 2008
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxchevaux View Post
Cutting the power saves the prop. It simply rotates out of the way... no damage.
A prop saver is a good idea too. I've had the same 8x6 prop on the plane forever. When my wing folded and the plane nosedived on the sidewalk the prop was fine even when the motor shaft snapped in two.
chadr is online now Find More Posts by chadr
Old Nov 22, 2014, 07:19 PM
Joined Nov 2014
24 Posts
Thanks for the info. This is a great site.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 08:13 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,854 Posts
Should have added about the prop saver. It is well worth it
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OneSheeter#17 OSC140 debut
Old Nov 22, 2014, 09:05 PM