SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:04 AM
Berlin, MD
Joined Jul 2006
224 Posts
Discussion
wahooo, got the SS up!

yeah buddy she flew!

after two ugly crashes (friend's dog is okay thanks to the fence, just a bit shaken) i took it out in ZERO wind and wow is this thing cool!

-i was surprised how slow it flew. really gives you time to think about which way to move the controls.

-i definitely need to set up the expo on my elevator.

-i actually trimmed the plane! initial flights showed a tendancy to nose up with power so i put in some down elevator and it tends to fly nice and level now. how freakin cool is that!

-when people tell you ZERO WIND they mean ZERO WIND. boy is that SS sensitive to wind!

-my 6102 is awesome! the computer functions are absolutely amazing. my elevator trim will still be set when i turn the radio on next time. now i understand why multiple model memory is such a big deal. and how cool is this: i put the elevator servo on backwards and didn't realize it until i was on my way to fly; a quick look in the manual, push a few buttons and IT'S REVERSED!

man this stuff is fun!
berettafan is offline Find More Posts by berettafan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2006, 03:24 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
Congrats on a successfull first (ok 3rd) flight.

Several things to check for:

1) Make absolutely sure the CG is in the correct location. If it is too far back, the plane will tend to climb excessively. I personally like mine best at 4" back from the wing LE.

2) The Rudder should be setup to have 40-45 degrees of throw in both directions. This also will help in the breeze.

3) The elevator at full UP, should come close to just very lightly touching the bottom of the Rudder, with an equal amount in the full DOWN position.

If everything is set-up this way and the plane built straight, it will gently climb at full throttle, cruise hands off at 1/2 throttle and decend at less. The Elevator will be trimmed perfectly neutral, the Rudder will need about 1/4" to 1/2" right trim.

Otherwise you have a very sound set-up and a good grasp of what it takes to fly successfully.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Jul 31, 2006, 05:40 PM
SEC
Damn you gravity!
Gladstone, Oregon
Joined Jan 2005
149 Posts
Great feeling isn't it?!

I had my successful flight with a SS last fall, and next moved to a brushless e-starter a few months later, but still love every minute the SS is in the air.

Ditto Popsracer's comments, and a little expo on the elevator will help make it less sensitive.

Congrats!!
SEC is offline Find More Posts by SEC
Old Aug 01, 2006, 05:53 PM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
if you want to fly in a bit of a breeze, strap a D cell battery at the CG, the extra weight keeps it from bouncing around as much. This is also helpful until you become an expert SS flier
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles