SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 06, 2014, 07:46 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Mar 2013
39 Posts
Question
Need to install wing peg in Blaster 1

I'm new to DLG and have just picked up a Blaster 1 from a friend. I need to install a new peg in the right wing as I am a lefty. What is the best method to do this? I am unsure of the internal structure of the wing. -thanks
TX_FLYER is offline Find More Posts by TX_FLYER
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2014, 10:38 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,047 Posts
Is the rudder controlled by a wire or is it spring string? For right handers the hinge for the rudder is on the left and the control horn is on the right. This is designed to put the stress of the yaw on release into tension on the wire or string. If you throw it from the left will the rudder easily bend away? There are several build logs that can be searched for. Oleg has great pictures on his build logs. There is a Blaster thread here as well just use the search.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Oct 06, 2014, 11:03 PM
Joined Mar 2013
39 Posts
Really? Cause I have spent the better part of the day searching for info on a B1 and have found hardly anything. No manual, build logs, or videos. Everything I have found on RCG or the internet refers to the B2 or B3 models.
Old Oct 06, 2014, 11:06 PM
Joined Mar 2013
39 Posts
Rudder control appears to be either carbon rod or wire inside a sleeve. Does not look to be a string.
Old Oct 07, 2014, 12:36 AM
Nick Radle
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined May 2004
1,792 Posts
If it's a rod you should be OK. As for installing a peg on the right wing tip, if the left side looks to have been reinforced to accomodate a peg and the right side hasn't, then you will have to do some reinforcing of your own.
Bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by Bodywerks
Old Oct 07, 2014, 12:37 PM
2013 US F3K Team Manager
Newbury Park, CA
Joined May 2005
1,049 Posts
Blaster 1 is a hollow molded wing with balsa skin material and a limited amount of carbon. First piece of advice is to not use a round peg (the stock setup), but put in a blade.

For a blade install, you can do one of two things, either a "T" blade, which has a tongue that you install into a slot made on the wingtip, or a standard blade, which is installed by cutting a slot in the wingtip and then gluing it in.

For this model there are pros and cons for each method. The T blade will add some extra strenght to the tip, but you need to make sure it is really secure in there. Alternately, the slotted blade would have to be installed with a patch of carbon cloth on both the top and bottom. This will keep it there, but you want to make sure you get a good finish on the cloth, since you will be rubbing you fingertips against this every time you launch (carbon fiber splinters are no fun)

You can search on RCGroups for "blade installation" and get some examples of how it is done.

-l
dlgdude is online now Find More Posts by dlgdude
Old Oct 07, 2014, 12:42 PM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
3,026 Posts
but it is true that on some blasters one wing or the other has extra carbon spars going out to the tip with a peg in it.
elkski is online now Find More Posts by elkski
Old Oct 07, 2014, 05:19 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,047 Posts
Here is one thread that has several pics of a tanged curved blade install.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1600930
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Oct 07, 2014, 07:00 PM
Joined Mar 2013
39 Posts
vladimir at airplane-model said to get a blade for the Blaster 3; it would be an easy fit.

Should I remove the existing round peg or leave it be?
Old Oct 07, 2014, 07:03 PM
Joined Mar 2013
39 Posts
Pics..... Must be an older one cause I have not seen another with the same paint scheme.
Old Oct 07, 2014, 07:20 PM
2013 US F3K Team Manager
Newbury Park, CA
Joined May 2005
1,049 Posts
Yup, that's an old one, with the built up tails. A performance upgrade would be to get the foam tails and then while you are at it, you can change the rudder pushrod to the other side.

The peg in the other wing isn't a big deal drag wise, so it's up to you if you want to make it so that a righty can still throw your plane. It's easy enough to cut off though.

Here is a pic of my old Blaster with the foam tails....
dlgdude is online now Find More Posts by dlgdude
Old Oct 07, 2014, 07:20 PM
Ivan MacKenzie
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2002
594 Posts
Here's a pic of my Blaster 1 lefty install. The doubler is made of a thin carbon sheet that I made, but using just regular carbon cloth and CA would be fine as well. There is a similar doubler on the bottom of the wing. Never had a problem with this install, the exact same technique would work fine with a peg.

Ivan MacKenzie.
imack is online now Find More Posts by imack
Old Oct 08, 2014, 12:40 AM
Nick Radle
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined May 2004
1,792 Posts
^^^That's a good setup^^^
Bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by Bodywerks