HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2014, 07:32 AM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,627 Posts
Discussion
Ultra Sub Micro 3D indoor Plane!

As per title,i want something i can fly the full 3D envelope in my living room and something i can fly fast in a small space,has technology reached this level yet? i presume the smallest plane available for 3D is something like the umx series these days from e-flite or Twisted hobbies etc!?

I can't see why it's not possible given the micro circuit boards they can no produce these days and tiny micro servos.....

Imagine the possibilities,no wind,no restrictions just FLY.....

Can anyone chime in and tell me if a plane like this is already available,i'm talking the size of the smallest indoor helis...

I'm already stating to imagine knife edging around two cups sitting on the living room table Hhaha

Thanks
Dan
flightpunch34 is online now Find More Posts by flightpunch34
Last edited by flightpunch34; Oct 02, 2014 at 07:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2014, 08:07 AM
United States, MD, St Mary's
Joined Apr 2013
228 Posts
Have you looked at the AS3Xtra from Parkzone? The videos I've seen show folks doing exactly what you described - 3D flight in a large living room or garage. No personal experience, so I would direct you to the dedicated thread for more info.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2009699
Snardo is offline Find More Posts by Snardo
Old Oct 02, 2014, 11:13 AM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,627 Posts
Snardo,

Way too large,i'm talking about a miniture (maybe i should have changed the title) i don't think these are available yet but makes for an intresting topic i would imagine??

I'm sure there are loads of others who would agree that they would be completly awesome,i'm talking about the size of a tv remote with wings sort of thing!?

I suppose the technology isn't available yet for these sized machines,maybe the battery size might be an issue but i really don't see why.....

I mean for example the firebird stratos has servos all part of a circuit board,so why not have a similar system on one of these,i think HH should produce something of this size and i really think it would be a HUGE success!
Old Oct 02, 2014, 11:19 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,442 Posts
Have a look at this thread Dan. Micro laser scratch built but way to cool.

Unless you build something like that I think the umx is about all there is.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Oct 02, 2014, 11:27 AM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,627 Posts
Thanks Kamikaze pilot,

Will take a look now,i really think there is a huge market for this size,it's something i personally have wanted sinse i have started 3D flying,but i understand the technology requiried is very advanced.

I actually also considered building my own one from depron or something but again,would be a difficult build matching up the correct size battery and motor so small......
Old Oct 02, 2014, 11:34 AM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,627 Posts
K/ pilot,that is a great thread,thanks.... subbed to that one!

Thing is,even though that looks like a great achievement his build & not to sound in anyway negative here but it looks to be very powerful and fast,ideally it would need to be small light and have the ability to fly very slow to make it a very capable indoor 3D plane.

EDIT:

Just read on his thread that he is planning to build a smaller lighter version,wow that guy is amazing to undertake such a daunting challenge,must PM him and find out how he's going with it.

Would love if some manufacturer jumped on the idea and produced one,could fly anytime,lots of options of places to fly indoors.....
list of advantages to these planes would be endless!
Last edited by flightpunch34; Oct 02, 2014 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Adding to post
Old Oct 02, 2014, 11:44 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,442 Posts
Yeah it would be nice to see this size hit the market but I think the price would be the defining issue. Seems the smaller you get the bigger the price is on the gear.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Oct 02, 2014, 11:46 AM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,627 Posts
Yes very true..... price could be crazy,to be honest though i would pay it cause i would just love something this small,would be awesome!!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 07:37 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Feb 2005
2 Posts
You're in luck, Flightpunch - Page 95 of the Nov. '14 AMA magazine, Model Aviation, has what you're looking for.

Everything from a 1.5 gram 3-channel stick with a 4" wingspan to a "huge" 12" span, 4-channel acrobat at 14 grams is available as BNF or buy components and get busy...

The pricing for the BNF stuff seems high at first, but figure in all the components and time to build, and its really pretty reasonable.

Full aerobatics without leaving my recliner during commercials is very appealing!

www.microflierradio.com
RBardin is offline Find More Posts by RBardin
Old Oct 28, 2014, 06:29 AM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,627 Posts
Nice one,.RBardin

will take a look. thanks!
Old Nov 02, 2014, 01:25 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2011
600 Posts
A living room flyer that does true 3D would be awesome but so far these tiny wingspan planes aren't going to get you where you want to go. The problem is the wing loading. These tiny planes have to fly too fast to maintain lift and the requirement to keep up a minimum speed kills the ability to do fun 3D in a small space. Look at the video of the tiny plane at NEAT. Unless it's in a full hover, it's going very fast.

For indoor 3D you want a plane that's slow and floaty more than you want small and light. Achieving floatiness is far more about less weight than smaller size. We need a larger size to generate lift. Currently, the best kind of plane for what you're taking about is probably an F3P style at around 20 to 30 inches. The extra wing area allows a much slower avg speed. For example, look at the new Clik from RC Factory / Twisted Hobbies. Look how slow that thing flies! Even though it's much bigger, it would be far easier to maneuver around a large living room.

Look up "cubic wing loading" here on RCG to learn how to calculate this vital number. It uses the weight and the wing area to give you a sense of how a plane will actually fly. Currently, the 3D planes with the lowest cubic wing loading are not these super tiny planes.
Markran is offline Find More Posts by Markran
Last edited by Markran; Nov 02, 2014 at 01:34 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2014, 05:55 AM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,627 Posts
Very good post and thanks Markran,and i couldn't agree with you more even on an assumption basis,to be honest i was just going to say i would need to see some indoor videos to be sold on one of these,they also cost a hell of a lot of cash for a sub micro 3D plane and yes they look to have to be kept flying fairly fast to keep the momentum going.