HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2014, 03:25 PM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
Discussion
Marine Specialties 31 inch Challenger

Hi this was given to me.Just the hull,no box,or parts,or instructions.I run rc cars,planes,heli's,but never had a boat before.

I have been looking at boat parts to see what I might need at HK.Just a little unsure on what to get.

Hull is 31 inches long(780mm),9.5 inches wide(241mm),approx 4.5 inches at it deepest point in hull.

Any thoughts or help is much appreciated.
maurice076 is offline Find More Posts by maurice076
Last edited by maurice076; Jun 28, 2014 at 04:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2014, 03:43 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,486 Posts
it is a challenger! you can get them from marine specialties!

http://www.marinespecialties-rc.com/boatphotos.htm
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 03:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
Thanks whiskykid,I've been searching google pics for days.

Any thoughts on the flex shaft?Maybe just get a 5mm one and see if it goes thru?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 03:57 PM
Joined May 2012
351 Posts
Fill the holes, pull out the stuffing tube (it's no good with the kinks) and set it up for a surface drive.
There are many choices for power depending on what you have or are willing to buy for batteries.
Thats a good hull, it deserves some decent hardware, if it were mine I'd be installing a speedmaster rudder and strut, 3/16 flex shaft (hughey makes the best) the prop would depend on the motor.
Everything you need to get it running with good hardware can be bought from the Offshore Electrics online store. Good guy to deal with.
Sibe is offline Find More Posts by Sibe
Old Jun 28, 2014, 04:11 PM
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
Excellent info Sibe,just what I am looking for.I'll check all that out.I'd like it to be pretty nice too,since I didn't have to buy the hull
Old Jun 28, 2014, 06:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
After some thought(and dinner)I see this is close to what your saying I think.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=ros-monosys

Is this too small though?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 01:22 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,486 Posts
looks about right too me!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 03:25 PM
Joined May 2012
351 Posts
Yep that would be an alright setup!
There is another way you could do it but is a little more difficult to implement.
It would use a strut as opposed to the stinger drive. The stuffing tube is built into a "wet well".
This gives you up and down adjustment as well as angle.
I've never built this particular boat so I'm not sure where you want to drill the stuffing tube hole in the back. I'll send you a message with a link
Old Jun 29, 2014, 03:37 PM
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
Cool thank you very much.
Old Jul 01, 2014, 11:04 AM
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
I have the holes filled,I guess I'll get it ready for paint while I wait on parts.I have a local hobby shop,that has a selection of parts,I need to spend at least an hour going thru the stuff though.

Registered at Offshore Electrics,and searched and found a few Challengers built over there,gives me an idea of was used.

I searched for a setup like you mentioned Sibe,"wet well",but cannnot find anything resembling it.Any pics or diagrams?

Thanks again.

Back to sanding..
Old Jul 01, 2014, 02:10 PM
Joined May 2012
351 Posts
It's kind of hard to explain.
If you can find pictures of the inside of a Proboat Impulse it has a wet well setup.
Basically you build a small sealed box around the last few inches of the stuffing tube inside the boat, there is a bigger hole drilled in the back of the boat where the stuffing tube comes out.
This allows you to raise and lower the strut a fair amount for getting the boat dialed in, the stuffing tube is able to move up and down giving you greater range of motion.
I have one done using brass tubing, give me a bit and I'll go downstairs and try to take some pictures of how it's done, This hull was bought set up this way used, I'm seriously thinking about re doing the setup, it works but looks messy. Got it stripped down trying to decide if I want to change motors, might be easier to buy another hull and keep this one running it's current motor.
Old Jul 01, 2014, 06:35 PM
Joined May 2012
351 Posts
The stuffing tube goes into and through the larger diameter brass tubing you can see on the inside.
The lager diameter is epoxied in with a pile of JB weld (messy part I don't like, used boat though)
In the second picture you can see the stuffing tube coming out the back of the boat through the large diameter hole.
The "wet well" is the fact that the large diameter brass can fill with water through the big hole, but it's sealed on the inside so no water gets into the inside of hull.
I can move the strut up and down a fair amount with this setup.
I prefer a sealed plywood box as opposed to the big brass hunk back there.
Old Jul 01, 2014, 08:44 PM
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
O.k. now I get it.Great pics btw.I see how you would have more adjustment.I don"t think I will have that much time in water to make it worth it.

I think I'll get that kit I linked earlier,I see they have the Hughey cables too.

This may end up being mostly shelf queen.

I'll change this to a build log,and keep updating.

Thanks for getting me the pics Sibe.
Old Aug 09, 2014, 10:17 AM
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
Thought I'd put up some pics.Have my hardware on hand from OSEThanks for your help guys.
Old Aug 09, 2014, 10:22 AM
Danmark, Sjælland, Sorø
Joined May 2011
436 Posts
Stunning paint job!
bostong is offline Find More Posts by bostong