HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:08 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Repair a dent

I took a boat I am still building out for some sea trials recently and as luck would have it I got hit by another boat and sustained some damage (

I don't know how other folks patch up damage, but here's my 10 worth on how I cleaned up mine.

A twin pronged brushless driven by somebody who can't be named ( OK his name is Brian) ran into the side of me and took 2 small chunks out of starboard side.
(One in the middle and one the chine edge near the bow)

The holes were quite small and clean but they had gone through, 6 coats of finish, the paint layer and primer undercoat.
The hole in the middle had also destroyed part of a decal.

Here's what I did next:

I rubbed the edges of the holes with sand paper to reduce the lip and took it all the way down to the paint. (I had sandpaper on a tiny block and just rubbed in small circles) Once I noticed the decal disappearing I knew i'd gone as far as I could go.

I painted several layers of the cream boat paint over the holes to bring the level back up and act as colour and a filler at the same time. I thought it was pointless using any primer at this stage as it may have show through.

A few nights later when I was sure it was fully hard, I used 1200 grit paper and rubbed in circles again until the new paint was level and flush.

With the bow damage I masked off the area and sprayed back the black line I had around the edge.

With the damaged decal I ran out another printout on my decal machine and trimmed it to just slightly larger than the damaged area.

After wetting and placing on the boat I pushed it into position with a paint brush and left it to dry. The next day I sprayed Testor's top coat to protect it from the finish coat coming next.

Right now I am just spraying light coats of Acrylic finish to bring up the finish layer again.

Once it's thick enough again I'll use Micor mesh cloths and 3M Finesse it to hopefully merge in the new area with the old and get a clean finish.

I think the damage will always be visible when you get up close , but I think I've restored it the best I can with what I have.

Hope some of you find this useful
RussellTate is offline Find More Posts by RussellTate
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:25 AM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
821 Posts
Wow... Sorry that happened! Nice repair though, did you also have to patch up Brian? lol
Mike-A is offline Find More Posts by Mike-A
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:57 AM
oldtribefan
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined May 2007
591 Posts
Great save Russell! Did the un-named (Brian) boat driver have a few too many Bewdy beers before operating?
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:02 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,124 Posts
Ouch! Nice save. I hope you sent your buddy a bill for the repair.
woodybob is online now Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:13 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTate View Post
I took a boat I am still building out for some sea trials recently and as luck would have it I got hit by another boat and sustained some damage (

I don't know how other folks patch up damage, but here's my 10 worth on how I cleaned up mine.

A twin pronged brushless driven by somebody who can't be named ( OK his name is Brian) ran into the side of me and took 2 small chunks out of starboard side.
(One in the middle and one the chine edge near the bow)

The holes were quite small and clean but they had gone through, 6 coats of finish, the paint layer and primer undercoat.
The hole in the middle had also destroyed part of a decal.

Here's what I did next:

I rubbed the edges of the holes with sand paper to reduce the lip and took it all the way down to the paint. (I had sandpaper on a tiny block and just rubbed in small circles) Once I noticed the decal disappearing I knew i'd gone as far as I could go.

I painted several layers of the cream boat paint over the holes to bring the level back up and act as colour and a filler at the same time. I thought it was pointless using any primer at this stage as it may have show through.

A few nights later when I was sure it was fully hard, I used 1200 grit paper and rubbed in circles again until the new paint was level and flush.

With the bow damage I masked off the area and sprayed back the black line I had around the edge.

With the damaged decal I ran out another printout on my decal machine and trimmed it to just slightly larger than the damaged area.

After wetting and placing on the boat I pushed it into position with a paint brush and left it to dry. The next day I sprayed Testor's top coat to protect it from the finish coat coming next.

Right now I am just spraying light coats of Acrylic finish to bring up the finish layer again.

Once it's thick enough again I'll use Micor mesh cloths and 3M Finesse it to hopefully merge in the new area with the old and get a clean finish.

I think the damage will always be visible when you get up close , but I think I've restored it the best I can with what I have.

Hope some of you find this useful
Great patch! It would have been much harder to blend on a natural mahogony hull!

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:21 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Glor View Post
Great patch! It would have been much harder to blend on a natural mahogony hull!

Pete G.
...A-men to that at least.

Brian, wracked with guilt did source a can of fresh paint form me...
RussellTate is offline Find More Posts by RussellTate
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:48 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined May 2007
1,543 Posts
Hi Russell,

What an unfortunate accident to such a nice boat!! I agree with the above posts, nice save!!

-Rich.
RICH404 is online now Find More Posts by RICH404
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:16 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,109 Posts
A testimony to a quality build, a collision like that could mean a fine model ending up on the wrong side of the surface
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:55 PM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,347 Posts
Nice save.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:48 PM
"Take the Cannollis"
Lake Martin ALABAMA
Joined Feb 2006
896 Posts