HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:23 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Yeeeeeyeeeaaahh Luis get some!!!!
I would start checking out the videos by AnyCubFlyer on youtube. (think thats his name)
One of the vids was posted on this page. There are a bunch.

Couple things i needed right away when first starting out was:
1) A small voltage reader. Lets you know quickly and easily how low youre draining your batteries. Or you can use a regular multi meter like electricians use if you have one. Or you can buy a battery charger than tells you the individual cell voltages. Your "3S" battery is made of 3 cells.

2) A better battery charger.

3) Replacement shaft for the gearbox or maybe even an entire gearbox set. I cant remember if theyre sold seperate. But if you crash hard the shaft that turns the prop can bend. Also if you crash really good the plastic gearbox housing can crack.

4) Do the popsicle stick mod to reinforce where the main wing sits on the saddle.

5) Raise the tail edge of the main wing with rubber bands or a piece thin foam, rigid cardboard, anything light and that wont squash down with time.

6) Larger tires if youre offroading the cub.

7) Foam safe CA, regular CA, 30 min epoxy, white gorilla glue. Plan on crashing. Its no biggie, glue that sucker back together and go have more fun!!!
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:42 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Couple things i needed right away when first starting out was:
1) A small voltage reader. Lets you know quickly and easily how low youre draining your batteries. Or you ...
I have 2 of these coming, should be here early next week

http://store.rcfunlab.com/2_6_Cell_L...g-all-lpvm.htm
Name: fg-all-lpvm-2T.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 20.5 KB
Description:
The one mod I don't get though is the wing saddle popsicle stick. When I picture what's going to happen when the plastic back of the wing gets pushed into the foam in the back of the saddle, I don't see how having the stick there (by itself) is going to make any difference... you now just have the wing pushing the stick into the foam instead of the wing itself... same thing as far as I can see. I came across someone at the supercubclub forum who did the mod and that's exactly what happened.

It makes more sense to me that, in order for it to work, you'd have to perpendicularly glue some dowels into the fuse behind the stick to spread the impact force force. I'm thinking of doing that when I do this mod either with wood or CF. Like this...

Name: saddle-HBZ7400-5.jpg
Views: 78
Size: 25.6 KB
Description:

I've also kicked around the idea of glassing the back of the saddle like the wing tips I just did, instead of the Popsicle stick... that way I can keep the original shape of the saddle.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:04 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Thats great thinking i understand your point. Doing the perpendicular CF reinforcement can only help. Your buddy might have added the popsicle stick to foam that was already compromised and crushed. I had to cut out a good section of smashed foam. Then add more foam. Then add the popsicle stick.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:40 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Raise tail edge of main wing

This picture shows 2 things. Raising the tail edge of the main wing and the wood reinforcement for the wing saddle.

Someone posted the tail edge mod awhile ago. I think its the best mod i ever read for the superCub. I have used rubber bands and glue before. Thought it would help keep from slipping. But they degrade over time. Now im using a piece of depron. Keep meaning to try different thicknesses. This one here is 3mm thick and not even glued down yet. Havnt had any problems with the wing slipping. I always use nice new rubber bands.

To do the wood reinforced saddle i had to cut out damaged foam. This was my first plane bought used on ebay. Bad move. Obviously you want your cut as close to perpendicular to the fuse as possible. Then added a 6mm piece of depron with the wood glued to that. You can test fit before gluing anything down. If the wing is not perpendicular then shim or recut the foam.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:51 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
A few more quick and easy mods:

Run a layer of clear packing tape along the leading from wing tip to wing tip. It won't get dented quite as easily, or at least it will hold the pieces together.

Wrap a layer of packing tape around the fuselage just in front of the tail feathers where the control rods exit. Even a cursory look at this thread will show you that most everybody has broken their fuselage there.

Reinforce inside the cowling with a layer of packing tape.

Go out fly it, crash it, (yes, you will), glue it back together, and fly it again. As soon as you ugly it up from a few repairs, you won't worry as much. Kinda like the first scratch on a new car.....

Rob
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:58 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
I have 2 of these coming, should be here early next week

http://store.rcfunlab.com/2_6_Cell_L...g-all-lpvm.htm
Attachment 5459265
Well, speak of the devil... my RCFunLab package is here!

Name: volt-meter-rcfunlabs.jpg
Views: 78
Size: 174.0 KB
Description:
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:45 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,656 Posts
OK, so I'm trying to put the battery box mod back into position. With the "velcro'd" battery in position am I to assume the RX will be mounted on the inside wall of the fuse? I just don't see any other way unless I'm missing something.

Any pics of this config would surely help

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:57 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,275 Posts
Mike, I think what you're looking for is in Gene's SC blog thread on page 2.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:07 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Well, speak of the devil... my RCFunLab package is here!

Attachment 5459835
They're wonderful! Got a bunch of 'em. You can get them for less than $2.50 off eBay with or without alarms.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-helicopte...item20b7bf1a34

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2in1-RC-Lipo...item232290767b
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:19 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robschonk View Post
They're wonderful! Got a bunch of 'em. You can get them for less than $2.50 off eBay with or without alarms.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-helicopte...item20b7bf1a34

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2in1-RC-Lipo...item232290767b
Nice!

I threw a couple in with my order at rcfunlab... but at $2.39 for an alarmed one off ebay with free shipping I might grab a couple more

I want them both in my Cub and one of my 3 surface RC's that doesn't have telemetry. Stock ESC LVC's are always way too low for my liking, my other two surface RC's have telemetry for temp and voltage read from a nice dashboard GUI in an app on my iPod which docks to the bottom of the Tx.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:39 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
RX will be mounted on the inside wall of the fuse? .
The RX and ESC are components you can place anywhere you see fit. With the RX you want to pay attention to the antenna. With the ESC its about heat dissipation.
You can use them to manipulate CG. Most brushless setups move the ESC to under the motor for airflow and to add some weight back up there.
Side of the fuse works fine. I centered mine on a popsicle stick cause im stupid and back then thought it would help keep weight centered. Also made it easy to access my aileron and led connectors. If anything could mount it on the right side wall since the motor is installed more to the left.

You also asked earlier about rubber bands. If in good condition i cross 2 over and form an X. Then put 2 more going straight. If in a pinch and they feel stretched out use more if you have them. Some people like the #64 rubber bands you can find at staples. Put them in a ziplock with some baby powder. I have had a bag for about a year. Just about used them all. Theyre pretty cheap and wear out really quick. So they kinda suck in that aspect. Heard there are also #67 which are thicker.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:58 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,275 Posts
I've been thinking of ways to ditch the rubber bands altogether while retaining the shock absorption

... or mount them inside out of view.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:02 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,656 Posts
Quote:
Mike, I think what you're looking for is in Gene's SC blog thread on page 2.
Yes, I'm onto his blog were I'm following his instructions. I went ahead all the way to page 3 and there is nothing about mounting the RX unless I missed it. I just have to widen the area where the batt slides up. Kinda snug right now. Gonna go with wopochop's idea. I figure double sides sticky tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
The RX and ESC are components you can place anywhere you see fit. With the RX you want to pay attention to the antenna. With the ESC its about heat dissipation.
You can use them to manipulate CG. Most brushless setups move the ESC to under the motor for airflow and to add some weight back up there.
Side of the fuse works fine. I centered mine on a popsicle stick cause im stupid and back then thought it would help keep weight centered. Also made it easy to access my aileron and led connectors. If anything could mount it on the right side wall since the motor is installed more to the left.

You also asked earlier about rubber bands. If in good condition i cross 2 over and form an X. Then put 2 more going straight. If in a pinch and they feel stretched out use more if you have them. Some people like the #64 rubber bands you can find at staples. Put them in a ziplock with some baby powder. I have had a bag for about a year. Just about used them all. Theyre pretty cheap and wear out really quick. So they kinda suck in that aspect. Heard there are also #67 which are thicker.
Thanks for the idea. I think I'll just slap the RX on the side.

SOoooo,

Double sided sticky? Notch, then hot glue? Just hot glue?

I was told to keep the rubber bands in the fridge just as is

Mike.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:13 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,656 Posts
I'm checking out some attachments on this thread as per a members advice
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:18 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
I'm checking out some attachments on this thread as per a members advice
Is there a way to view all attachments belonging to a given thread?... have been meaning to ask that for quite some time.
RCG Plus Member