HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:25 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2010
61 Posts
Thanks, Gene- what should the direction of rotation of the motor be for a pusher prop (as viewed from the rear)?
clayfeld is offline Find More Posts by clayfeld
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:33 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
airbagit13's Avatar
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Here are some shots of my ground station, the wind was low today so I was able to get three flights in this morning.

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner but I stuck my key chain camera to the back of my FPV cam with Velcro and was able to record every flight. The videos are being uploaded to youtube right now. Will post them in about an hour.
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:53 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
Here are some shots of my ground station, the wind was low today so I was able to get three flights in this morning.

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner but I stuck my key chain camera to the back of my FPV cam with Velcro and was able to record every flight. The videos are being uploaded to youtube right now. Will post them in about an hour.
Nicely captured. How do you power the Headplay goggles?

BTW, I look forward to the videos.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:56 PM
Registered User
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayfeld View Post
thanks, gene- what should the direction of rotation of the motor be for a pusher prop (as viewed from the rear)?
ccw
Greywing is online now Find More Posts by Greywing
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:35 PM
Registered User
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jan 2011
5 Posts
Thank you mike_m2 and ajbaker , I have that channel reversed, prop on backwards, push rod seems to not be glued down enough. I removed the washers becaused my cg was way off. I have the battery more towards nose and it looks like I am right on 72mm cg. Waiting on less windy day for my crash 3. Will post video if I can keep it up
On the prop nut, do you loctite it or something else? seems to spin off / almost off.
Breezeaire is offline Find More Posts by Breezeaire
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:37 PM
Registered User
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Prop nut.

Quote:
On the prop nut, do you loctite it or something else? seems to spin off / almost off.
I use blue Locktite on mine.
FYI: My CG is at about 70mm.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Last edited by garymcc; Jan 09, 2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Added CG info.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2011, 03:31 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
airbagit13's Avatar
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
I power my Headplay goggles through the regular 12v plug. I have a 12v plug outlet in my jeep. Here are two of the 3 videos I took this morning. It was my first time using this Futaba 9cap TX so I only went about 1/2 a mile away.

The video that I get in my goggles is much better quality, this was just a key chain cam velcroed to my FPV cam.

FPV Sky Surfer (7 min 11 sec)

FPV Sky Surfer video 2 (7 min 24 sec)
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Last edited by airbagit13; Jan 09, 2011 at 03:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2011, 05:58 PM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Eagle 854

Here is what I first used:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXK259&P=ML
OR - You can make the one below yourself for pennies.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2011, 08:35 PM
mmerry2 on Youtube
mike_m2's Avatar
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2010
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Here is the graphic that we use on other threads. Two is better than one.
AJ
AJ, Nice graphic for the prop direction. That should be in the manual for every plane.
-Mike
mike_m2 is offline Find More Posts by mike_m2
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2011, 08:59 PM
mmerry2 on Youtube
mike_m2's Avatar
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2010
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezeaire View Post
Thank you mike_m2 and ajbaker , I have that channel reversed, prop on backwards, push rod seems to not be glued down enough. I removed the washers becaused my cg was way off. I have the battery more towards nose and it looks like I am right on 72mm cg. Waiting on less windy day for my crash 3. Will post video if I can keep it up
On the prop nut, do you loctite it or something else? seems to spin off / almost off.
Glad that helped correct some things for you. Usually for maiden/beginner flights your CG should be closer 68mm. At 72mm you may be a little tail heavy (where the plane goes nose up). I'm just preparing you for what you might see. You might want to be prepared to move your battery a little forward or glue in a couple washers to get that CG closer to 68mm.
-Mike
mike_m2 is offline Find More Posts by mike_m2
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2011, 10:44 PM
Registered User
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jan 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_m2 View Post
Glad that helped correct some things for you. Usually for maiden/beginner flights your CG should be closer 68mm. At 72mm you may be a little tail heavy (where the plane goes nose up). I'm just preparing you for what you might see. You might want to be prepared to move your battery a little forward or glue in a couple washers to get that CG closer to 68mm.
-Mike
Ok that will be great help, I have enough velcro in there to move it more to nose as needed. It is just when I first tried the plane seemed to want to go down. My boy did not really throw it in air, he said it scared him.
Breezeaire is offline Find More Posts by Breezeaire
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:01 PM
Registered User
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
.188 spar reinforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
It's underdesigned and very small. The simple fix is to buy another piece of CF and slide it inside and glue it.
My .188 inch carbon fiber tube will not fit inside the SkyS spar. It looks more like a .157 (4mm) will fit. No way the .188 is going to fit. Can you confirm the .188 size is correct?
Thanks.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:26 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcc View Post
My .188 inch carbon fiber tube will not fit inside the SkyS spar. It looks more like a .157 (4mm) will fit. No way the .188 is going to fit. Can you confirm the .188 size is correct?
Thanks.
If it doesn't fit then J Power mfg. made a change in the size of carbon fiber they are using in terms of wall thickness. You'll have to pick up some .157 OD tube.

Sorry, they didn't call me and ask if it was OK. . Seriously, that's no suprise, we are talking about a design characteristic (that is, tube inside diameter) that's probably not controlled. That's too bad, because a thicker wall tubing would probably be strong enough.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:24 PM
Registered User
ronaldf's Avatar
Oakhurst, CA
Joined May 2006
355 Posts
I tried to use a 3/16 wood dowel inside the wing spare. As soon as I tried to push it in, the spar started to split. My LHS did not have a solid rod replacement. I'll have to search and order one on the internet. Shipping is outrageous for the CF rods by themselves.
ronaldf is offline Find More Posts by ronaldf
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:46 PM
Registered User
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldf View Post
I tried to use a 3/16 wood dowel inside the wing spare. As soon as I tried to push it in, the spar started to split. My LHS did not have a solid rod replacement. I'll have to search and order one on the internet. Shipping is outrageous for the CF rods by themselves.
Yes, shipping is high. I just got an order from Goodwinds.com and cannot use the .188 tube. Now I am wondering if my SkyS v2 spar is thicker than the spars that are failing and does not need reinforcing. I used a wooden dowel in another glider for spar repair and reinforcement and it worked. I may try that approach again as it is cheap and I can get a dowel locally.
Maybe you can go to a sporting goods store and get a CF arrow shaft for a spar replacement. I think someone mentioned using this approach.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 May 28, 2013 03:14 AM
Discussion Sky Surfer nickwayne11c Electric Plane Talk 15 Nov 18, 2011 03:36 PM
Discussion Banana Hobby Sky Surfer Problems cavy92 Electric Plane Talk 56 Nov 02, 2010 03:49 AM
Question Sky Surfer LiPo mod, help... Freight Dog Power Systems 0 Aug 17, 2006 02:45 PM
Swashplate Assembly with Center Ball; is this the swash with ball mod i want? tekforce Micro Helis 4 Feb 08, 2004 06:28 PM