HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2009, 03:57 AM
Australia, NSW, Bathurst
Joined Mar 2009
454 Posts
Discussion
Help needed for Saito break in

I have started my saito 100 for break in at 4.5 turns out on main needle, now problem is I cant start the motor as fuel is spewing out the carb(motor is inverted and lower than tank). I have turned the needle to one turn out then when it starts I turn it out to 4.5 turns but something that doesnt look right, fuel is spewing out of the exhaust and crankcase breather hose and a tank of fuel is lucky to last me 5 minutes, is this correct? Im building a hangar 9 60 spitfire.

Thanks
bigfella65 is offline Find More Posts by bigfella65
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2009, 09:14 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,838 Posts
Big, you only need that real rich setting at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle for the first 10 minutes. The engine runs too cold to do any actual breaking in a that setting. I use this schedule for break in.

10 minutes at 4,000 with throttle at 1/4 to 1/3, whatever will keep it at 4,000
10 minutes at 5,000, lean enough to run without the glow lighter on
10 minutes at 6,000
10 minutes at 7,000 with brief runs to full throttle
Refuel, set peak, then richen to 300 rpm less than peak, go fly
Its much easier to break it in in a test stand where everything is easily accessible and the break in does not shake your plane to death.

Saito .62 in test stand.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Jul 12, 2009, 03:54 PM
Australia, NSW, Bathurst
Joined Mar 2009
454 Posts
Thanks mate.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 04:26 PM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,679 Posts
I think four and half turns is way to rich. Try three turns out and follow I-Tibor's schedule. Keep the engine glow igniter on the plug as necessary to run rich, that may help keep it running. I usually start flying after about 20 minutes of bench break in. Parts are worn in by then (remember 4,000 RPM for 10 minutes is 40,000 cycles and 50,000 cycles at 5,000 RPM ~ that's a total of 90,000 cycles at low stress.

First flights should be rich setting, use a tach to set it that way.

Cheers,

Chip
Chip01 is online now Find More Posts by Chip01
Old Jul 13, 2009, 07:09 AM
Australia, NSW, Bathurst
Joined Mar 2009
454 Posts
I did leave the glow plug igniter connected and main needle turned out at 3 turns, but seeing how much liquid was being expelled from the exhaust and breather pipe I thought that maybe that was not normal. As i said a tank of fuel was run dry at about 5 minutes just above idle or there abouts.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 01:58 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfella65
I did leave the glow plug igniter connected and main needle turned out at 3 turns, but seeing how much liquid was being expelled from the exhaust and breather pipe I thought that maybe that was not normal. As i said a tank of fuel was run dry at about 5 minutes just above idle or there abouts.
What you describe is quite normal for the first runs of a Saito. It needs all that lubrication and internal cooling provided by the huge amount of fuel going through the engine.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2009, 04:20 PM
USA, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2005
985 Posts
Break in periods are real messy on the 100. I have a H9 spit-Saito 100 combo also.
Be advised that the tank is slightly above the carb in that config and I had some issues with flooding/siphoning. Make sure to run enough line that you do not have this problem. Just fill the tank, remove the fuel line and let it siphon. Hold the end of the line level with the fuel nipple on the carb. It should stay filled but not run out. If it runs out, the line is too short, if it doesn't come out to at least a few mm of the nipple level, the line is too long.

If you still have problems with flooding you can use a much smaller diameter line. Worked for me on my Extra 300. Using a line rated for a .15 engine!
patrick181 is offline Find More Posts by patrick181
Old Jul 14, 2009, 01:34 AM
Australia, NSW, Bathurst
Joined Mar 2009
454 Posts
Thanks guys you have put my mind at ease, I will push on with the break in..
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:12 PM
Joined Nov 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR View Post
Big, you only need that real rich setting at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle for the first 10 minutes. The engine runs too cold to do any actual breaking in a that setting. I use this schedule for break in.

10 minutes at 4,000 with throttle at 1/4 to 1/3, whatever will keep it at 4,000
10 minutes at 5,000, lean enough to run without the glow lighter on
10 minutes at 6,000
10 minutes at 7,000 with brief runs to full throttle
Refuel, set peak, then richen to 300 rpm less than peak, go fly
Its much easier to break it in in a test stand where everything is easily accessible and the break in does not shake your plane to death.

Saito .62 in test stand.
Any step by step procedures for setting the Idle Needle/Idle? I'm struggling mightily!
TPL33 is offline Find More Posts by TPL33
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:04 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,546 Posts
Engines should be broken in at full throttle. You have the mixture too rich, close the needle a bit. If the engine is new you should have instructions that tell just exactly how the break in procedure should be carried out.

keep the engine rich for the initial break in period with the throttle opened fully.

Idle. Pinch fuel line at full throttle. If engine speeds up and slowly dies it's to rich. If it just stops too lean.
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy