HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:32 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
The supplied USB cable has the shield not grounded on one end to prevent ground loops.

You cn use a standard USB cable as long as the charger and the computer are not both powered from AC or a power supply that is AC powered.

Many use a charged 3S LiPoly or a 12V Pb battery to power the charger when doing firmware updates.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
Firmware update was a no go.
I had the charger connected to a 12v battery.
I installed the usb drivers successfully, plug the charger into the usb port.
Windows recognized the charger successfully.

I then continued to try to update the drivers but get a no device found error.

I left the charger connected to the 12v battery for about 25mins and the unit started getting very warm. I have a feeling the charger is toast.....

I had contacted hobby king and they are giving me the run around with not being able to find my order even-though I have both the Paypal receipt and the hobbyking receipt. There saying the order was refunded even though it never was. That is the only place i could have purchased the charger from.
g_lux is offline Find More Posts by g_lux
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:21 AM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
I bought my Icharger from http://www.progressiverc.com/. They are known for their good service. Even if the Charger was bought elsewhere I would give them a call or E-mail and see if they can help.

Otherwise... every once in a while Junsi will pay a visit to the thread to help with these issues.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Last edited by BGR; Aug 08, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
no luck with progressiverc. Great guys working there but they cant help if I didnt buy it from them and thats understandable.

Eh looks like I may be out 140 bucks.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
Good news EPbuddy hooked it up. I just sent the unit out to him.

Great service
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:40 PM
Swartz Creek, MI.
Joined Dec 2010
312 Posts
Guys,

I am unable to figure out how many mah's I am putting back into my Genesis 3cell 1600 55c lipos. Using the I-Charger 306b. Suggestions??
It was my understanding not to run the lipo's below 3.7v per cell. Now I am reading about the 80% rule. 1600 mah lipo, should be putting back a max of 1200 mah.
Just trying to figure out why I'm getting 3.5 minutes fly time & others with the same setup are getting 5-6 minutes.

Thanks,
Bill B.
wjb111 is online now Find More Posts by wjb111
Last edited by wjb111; Aug 08, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:47 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,780 Posts
What does the charger say its putting back into the battery? Are others not as careful as you regarding running it down too far? Or do you have a heavy left thumb?
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:00 AM
United States, NY, Dutchess
Joined Jun 2002
652 Posts
I just got my icharger 106B+ and am excited to try out its capabilities, especially the IR tests. However, I have run into some issues with power supplies shutting off when I tried to use it for the first time.

First attempt was using a converted IBM server >30A power supply (purchased from feathermerchant approximately 2yrs ago). I've been using this to power a CellPro4s, HK quatro and rarely an original Triton. Never had any issues even when powering all three. The power supply shut itself off as soon I plugged the 106B+ in.

The same thing happened when I tried my converted PC 24A power supply.

The third power source I attempted was a 5A laptop brick. With this the 106B+ powered up and I got to play with the IR test.

What could be causing my converted server and PC power supplies to shut off when plugging the 106B+ in, while the brick works?
robs is offline Find More Posts by robs
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:26 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,364 Posts
Connect charger to PSU, then power up the PSU.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined Jun 2002
652 Posts
Thanks Fred, changing the power up order fixed my issue.

I've not run into this order dependence before with any other charger. Now of course, I'd like to understand "why?". Is there some protection circuitry in the PS's that the initial draw of the icharger trigger's? If so what is different with the other chargers that don't cause the same effect?

Rob
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:45 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
When used in a computer itgoes thru a series of test while computer is booting up. After the power supp;yu and computer are running the power supply will sense any unusaul loads which may be signs of shorts and shut down. Some chargers have fairly large surge currents during start up and some power supplies see these as shorts or the start up surges exceed the amps. capabilities of the power supply.

Rule of thumb which few follow is that a swither type power supply should always have a load attached befor it is powered up.

From first post of this thread

Quote:
Recommended connecting way:

1. Connect iCharger's input power supply, and turn on it.
2. Connect Li batteries' balance port
3. Connect the main charging port's positive pole to cells' positive pole, and then connect negative pole to cells' negative pole (this will avoid striking fire while connecting Li cells).
4. Start charging and discharging...
5. After finishing charging and discharging, pls disconnect the cell and charger, and then turn off the charger's power supply.
Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Jun 2002
652 Posts
Doh

Thanks Charles, I embarrassed that I missed that In red even.

Rob
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:48 PM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2011
21 Posts
Failing 206B?

Hello,

My iCharger 206B started giving me a "Reverse Polarity Check Connection" message today. I just used it yesterday with no incident. I have now tried it with three parallel boards as well as straight connections and multiple power supplies.

If I leave the unit sit for about 30 seconds and reapply power with no battery connected it appears fine. However as soon as I put a battery on the output side the message appears and will only clear after disconnecting the battery, removing input power and letting reset for 30+ seconds.

I have tried 2s, 3S and 6S batteries all with the same result. I hopefully someone can shed some light on the subject. I have been considering getting a 3010B as an upgrade since I have been impressed up to this point. However, I am having second thoughts since I purchased this unit 7/31/2011 and have less than 100 cycles on it (mostly 3S 2200mAH and 1S 500Mah).
madmaxed is offline Find More Posts by madmaxed
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:41 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxed View Post
Hello,

My iCharger 206B started giving me a "Reverse Polarity Check Connection" message today. I just used it yesterday with no incident. I have now tried it with three parallel boards as well as straight connections and multiple power supplies.

If I leave the unit sit for about 30 seconds and reapply power with no battery connected it appears fine. However as soon as I put a battery on the output side the message appears and will only clear after disconnecting the battery, removing input power and letting reset for 30+ seconds.

I have tried 2s, 3S and 6S batteries all with the same result. I hopefully someone can shed some light on the subject. I have been considering getting a 3010B as an upgrade since I have been impressed up to this point. However, I am having second thoughts since I purchased this unit 7/31/2011 and have less than 100 cycles on it (mostly 3S 2200mAH and 1S 500Mah).
According to our engineer, this message won't affect the use of the charger. But you can try to short circuit the output, check if this message still appear.

Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:11 AM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2011
21 Posts
The unit is non-responsive with this message. It is continuously beeping and none of the buttons respond. When you say short the output, do you mean connect the positive to negative output terminals when the message appears?
madmaxed is offline Find More Posts by madmaxed