HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:38 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Sep 2007
57 Posts
Discussion
Covering How-To video?

I've seen many covering how-to videos in various places but not one them shows how to cut a straight line when different colored coverings meet at edges, especially wing leading edges and straight or curved wing tips. Can anyone direct me to any?
Thanks.
Bidwin is offline Find More Posts by Bidwin
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2013, 03:12 AM
Canada, BC, Fort Langley
Joined Jul 2013
10 Posts
I would be interested also.

Someone must have a good procedure
cameo20000 is online now Find More Posts by cameo20000
Old Nov 23, 2013, 10:36 PM
Joined Dec 2011
1 Posts
Film application with transparent colors

Does anyone know the proper method when using a transparent film and a solid color, like white that shows the transparent color underneath. The overlap is unavoidable, and will be noticeable. Some areas I will be able to use striping tape to hide the overlap, but other areas I won't, so it will look different. Any suggestions?
scaleflyer50 is offline Find More Posts by scaleflyer50
Old Dec 24, 2013, 02:08 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidwin View Post
I've seen many covering how-to videos in various places but not one them shows how to cut a straight line when different colored coverings meet at edges, especially wing leading edges and straight or curved wing tips. Can anyone direct me to any?
Thanks.
I may be off base here but I'll give it go and hope it helps. No vids but perhaps some guide?
Is your desire to butt the edges together with no overlap? This 'can' be done but I certainly would not recommend it because the covering has a tendency to peel loose. If you're covering it's best to have a darker color on top of a lighter cover. Relative to straight edges meeting @ the center of the leading edge on a wing, this is pretty easy. The trick is to cut the material before you apply it. Test fit it before trying to adhere it. I usually do the bottom side 1st & then the top.

If your leading edge has a D shape (assuming it's balsa & most LE are) lay the bottom covering to the top of the D and secure it. Cut your top covering to fit. I use different length straight edges with cork glued on the backside of them to prevent them from slipping or the covering from sliding while cutting. I also lay my top past the center of the LE. About 3/4's the way down on the D. It's all subjective depending on what he builder wants/needs and the scale/size of the plane. If you've cut the covering correctly, you should be able to work the leading edge and put a dab of heat every couple of inches or so to tack it down and have it lay straight. Just use caution & don't overstretch while doing this else the top will be adversely buckled(wrinkled) when you go to adhere it. I rarely get it exactly right but most covering can be straightened out.

If your wing tips are squared (or sort of) off, you need to make sure you've left enough lap on the ends to allow the material to be ironed down securely by folding it over the ends. For wings with radius tips, the project becomes more involved. I'll usually leave at least an inch past the tips because that gives you something to grab onto while ironing it down. Depending on the radius, I cut the covering at different points of the curve, while still leaving it too long, allowing me to work with maybe a 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch or whatever. I can iron those short cuts down & move to the next. Then, using a NEW knife blade, I kind of peel the covering back up, cut the covering off to length and seal it down. Basically just working the whole radius until it's locked in place.

I hope this helps and I'm not way off base on your question. FWIW, I had to do a whole lot of ironing before I finally got it right. Not perfect, but right.Even at that, I still mess up at times. Patience is your friend.

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
Old Dec 24, 2013, 09:17 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,112 Posts
Here you go.

Thanks for asking the question as I'm about to cover a new plane and need a refresher course.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Dec 30, 2013, 01:41 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Sep 2007
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckert View Post
I may be off base here but I'll give it go and hope it helps. No vids but perhaps some guide?
Is your desire to butt the edges together with no overlap? This 'can' be done but I certainly would not recommend it because the covering has a tendency to peel loose. If you're covering it's best to have a darker color on top of a lighter cover. Relative to straight edges meeting @ the center of the leading edge on a wing, this is pretty easy. The trick is to cut the material before you apply it. Test fit it before trying to adhere it. I usually do the bottom side 1st & then the top.

If your leading edge has a D shape (assuming it's balsa & most LE are) lay the bottom covering to the top of the D and secure it. Cut your top covering to fit. I use different length straight edges with cork glued on the backside of them to prevent them from slipping or the covering from sliding while cutting. I also lay my top past the center of the LE. About 3/4's the way down on the D. It's all subjective depending on what he builder wants/needs and the scale/size of the plane. If you've cut the covering correctly, you should be able to work the leading edge and put a dab of heat every couple of inches or so to tack it down and have it lay straight. Just use caution & don't overstretch while doing this else the top will be adversely buckled(wrinkled) when you go to adhere it. I rarely get it exactly right but most covering can be straightened out.

If your wing tips are squared (or sort of) off, you need to make sure you've left enough lap on the ends to allow the material to be ironed down securely by folding it over the ends. For wings with radius tips, the project becomes more involved. I'll usually leave at least an inch past the tips because that gives you something to grab onto while ironing it down. Depending on the radius, I cut the covering at different points of the curve, while still leaving it too long, allowing me to work with maybe a 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch or whatever. I can iron those short cuts down & move to the next. Then, using a NEW knife blade, I kind of peel the covering back up, cut the covering off to length and seal it down. Basically just working the whole radius until it's locked in place.

I hope this helps and I'm not way off base on your question. FWIW, I had to do a whole lot of ironing before I finally got it right. Not perfect, but right.Even at that, I still mess up at times. Patience is your friend.

Dan
Thanks for the response, Dan. I wanted to add some distinguishing trim to a wing's upper surface so I could determine a plane's attitude. Cutting trim film straight to fit the leading edge seems easy-can-do, but I think cutting the trim on a curved wing tip has to be done after the trim has been applied. All my efforts so far have left a jagged edge on the wing tip. That's why I sent the question. I guess I could cut a narrow strip of trim and cover up the jagged edge, or put the narrow strip down first then make sure my final cuts don't extend over that.

Thanks again for your response.
Bidwin is offline Find More Posts by Bidwin
Old Jan 05, 2014, 08:50 PM
United States, TX, Corinth
Joined Aug 2012
68 Posts
Just saw this maybe it help
MonKote Trim Bar Part 1 (4 min 43 sec)
awkBOTS is offline Find More Posts by awkBOTS