SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 05, 2013, 05:47 PM
United States, WA, Mukilteo
Joined Apr 2013
1,037 Posts
Question
Question for Don (a.k.a. "The Man"): What's the best setup to minimize noise?

I bought my first EDF, the BlitzRCWorks Mini F-22. It's a 50mm EDF jet and HOLY HELL IT WAS LOUD.

As I've written in another thread, I can't fly planes this loud at my field. It's right next to a fire station and police station and a neighborhood. It's sure to stir up trouble.

I've enjoyed flying my warbirds, but I love modern military airplanes so wanted to get into EDFs. Unfortunately, I had no idea they were this noisy. I made a post about this over here and many have mentioned that your motors could help me get the noise down to something manageable.

So, what do YOU think. Is it possible to get the volume down enough with a 50mm in this F-22 or not? Alternatively, I've been eyeing the RocHobby F-16. It has a 64mm fan. Do you think it's possible to get either of these planes down to a volume that won't get me fined or yelled at by the neighbors?

I should add that speed is NOT a factor for me. I want enough power to keep my plane flying well, but I don't care about top speed. I usually fly at 60% throttle on my warbirds to maximize their flight times and I imagine I'll do the same with these.
Suko is offline Find More Posts by Suko
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2013, 06:36 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,223 Posts
You need fans with high blade count to reduce noise. Typically high blade fans in these sizes require more watts to run and you get less performance from them then lower count blade fans. That is why I do not sell them. EDFs already eat power so adding another 20-30% more watts to fly the same speed or lower makes no sense to me. Since you are not concerned about speed then the high count 50mm fans may be just what you need. I am more concerned with fast models and that is the purpose of my setups. If a company ever makes a 50mm fan multi blade that performs as well speed wise as a wemotec 50mm with about the same watts then I would be interested in that, but right now I have yet to see that, only the Chinese copying other Chinese with no engineering involved.

The only muti blade fan I personally am interested in trying is the new Wemotec 70mm Evo fan unit and I have them on order, they are designed correctly and are quieter and as efficient as the lower count rotor. So it seems Wemotec did their homework on that rotor design. If Wemotec ever designs a 50mm multiblade I would be interested as well but so far the 50mm rotor I see in 7 blades or more are just amp hogs but do give the whoosh sound that I think you are looking for.

Also I want to mention that dynamically balancing helps as well as a foam model will resonant and turn your model into a speaker when running an out of balance fan. But that high pitch sound is due to blade count and the rpm.

The sound does not bother me. I like the sound as it goes by at 100 mph, but I also fly at a flying field and compared to the noise of gas planes I don't feel EDFs are louder than most glow planes. Also it depends on how far out you fly. If you fly close it can be loud but a few hundred feet away it is much quieter. The noise on them does not carry as far as lower frequencies do. I can hear a gas engine much farther away that a high pitch EDF. You can always go pusher prop on the EDF airframes as well.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Sep 05, 2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2013, 06:49 PM
United States, WA, Mukilteo
Joined Apr 2013
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Also I want to mention that dynamically balancing helps as well as a foam model will resonant and turn your model into a speaker when running an out of balance fan. But that high pitch sound is due to blade count and the rpm.as well.
These are foam and probably do add to the sound quite a bit. It sounds like getting something quite is going to be very technically involved.
Suko is offline Find More Posts by Suko
Old Sep 06, 2013, 02:53 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,729 Posts
Not really.........just have Don Dynamically balance the fan..makes a big difference.
-Also make sure the duct work has a smooth interface right up to the fan shroud. No steps.
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!