HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2013, 01:35 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, OK, Henryetta
Joined Nov 2005
25,315 Posts
Discussion
Favorite Bind N Fly (BNF) Model

So now that I finally have a Spektrum radio, I can take advantage of all the BNF models that e-flite, Blade, and Parkzone make, I'm wondering what model tops your list of models that you have had?

I have a mQX ordered from my LHS. But was wondering what's your favorite and why?

Thanks,

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:14 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,062 Posts
Visionaire hands down

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:42 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,937 Posts
Mine would be probably a Tiger Moth 30 to 50" wingspan that weighed under a pound.....if they made such!

I have been thinking about the Visionaire for a while.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Apr 20, 2013, 03:38 PM
Crash tester
Texas
Joined Sep 2006
850 Posts
Is the Visionaire the old Typhoon's replacement? That thing was fun.

Favorite BNF, I'd have to say the Vapor.
Drunkskunk is offline Find More Posts by Drunkskunk
Old Apr 20, 2013, 09:29 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,036 Posts
For now, it's the Edge 280qq hands down. But what they might come out with next that has yet to be announced is anybody's guess. They just keep raising the bar.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:05 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Now if they made some FrSky BnFs I might be interested.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:25 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,315 Posts
Never heard of the VisionAire. Thanks for the heads up.

I was looking at the Edge 280. I have seen those in the classifieds here a few times. Can they be flown indoors? There is an indoor event coming up in late Aug in SoCal and I will be needing to find a fun plane to fly inside as well.

Thanks,

Frank
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:55 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Never heard of the VisionAire. Thanks for the heads up.

I was looking at the Edge 280. I have seen those in the classifieds here a few times. Can they be flown indoors? There is an indoor event coming up in late Aug in SoCal and I will be needing to find a fun plane to fly inside as well.

Thanks,

Frank
Probably, if you are good enough. I have a problem flying anything indoors, so would not attempt it. But given a pretty good sized area should be doable. It's very fast if you open it up, but has a very wide flight envelope and slows way down. Also, if you are into harrier type flight, it will harrier around at a snails pace.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:06 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,062 Posts
The little Parkzone Beast with the AS3X gyro would be great for indoors too Frank. Flew mine indoors till someone flew into the back of it. I put it back in the box then. It's my second favorite BNF as you can fly it in a 15 mph wind with no problems.

Gord.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:12 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,036 Posts
Indoor video of the Edge here

Edge 540QQ in the armory (4 min 21 sec)
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:49 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,830 Posts
um spit - also the only bnf i have ever owned
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:44 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
The little Parkzone Beast with the AS3X gyro would be great for indoors too Frank. Flew mine indoors till someone flew into the back of it. I put it back in the box then. It's my second favorite BNF as you can fly it in a 15 mph wind with no problems.

Gord.
Gord,

I saw mention of the AS3X gyro and was wondering what that is all about. It that just a sales gimmick or is that something that really works.

And I forgot to ask earlier, what makes the Visionaire such a great plane? It's pretty prices compared to the other BNFs.

Thanks,

Frank
Old Apr 21, 2013, 01:06 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,036 Posts
The as3x gives the little um planes the ability to fly in some wind. It can fight the wind effects quicker than the hand/eye, but I can't see any compelling reason for it in larger planes as long as you are fairly competent on the sticks. It sometimes makes me look better than I am, but I would really rather be better than I look like I am. The VisionAire is a very easy plane to fly, is not very fast, but will do most tricks in the book, it's just not very exciting. Good plane for that relaxing flying session, but if you want a bit of excitement or want to get the blood pumping, not sure it's what you would want.
Last edited by bobly; Apr 21, 2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:58 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,062 Posts
Pretty much what Bobly says other than you can crank it hard and do all the hard maneuvers, but when you let the sticks go, the plane locks it in that position. Even in knifedge with the sticks set with a bit of rudder and ail, in will hold that position. If a wind gust hits while in that position, the gyros correct for it without you being aware of it. Hobby King has a small rcvr with the gyros in as a unit. that works very well and reasonably priced. I have one in a Flash 3D and a scratchbuilt Pogo VTO. Makes flying in the wind much more relaxing flying as the gyros are doing the fighting for you.

Gord.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:20 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,315 Posts
Thanks for the info gentlemen. It looks like all of those little planes are coming stock with the gyros on them. I wonder why? Are they targeting them for the beginner pilots?

To recap, it looks like the favorites are the:

1. VisionAire
2. Edge 280QQ
3. UMX Beast

That's a pretty short list of all the BNFs that are out there. Thanks for the heads up on those.

Trying to decide if I want the 280 or the Beast first.

Frank