Closed Thread
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:55 PM
Rudedog Racing
United States, NY, Frewsburg
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Question
Programmable ESC's? And Motor Sensor Question

So, I'm thinkin I should go brushless with my Losi 1/18 Late Model. I know that you can get ESC's with a computer programmable throttle curve, wondering what would a decent model is that gives me that option for less than a million bucks lol.

Also, I was wondering what the sensor of a brushless motor actually tells you, along with how you would read it? I assume that it would be heat or RPM's (Or Both) and I know I've seen kits that send this info to your controller. Curious of their capabilities.

Thanks Alot!! Brodie
rudedog9d is offline Find More Posts by rudedog9d
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:06 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
419 Posts
I think your confusing the sensor/senorless brushless motor with a sensor telemetry system.
The sensored brushless motor has flawless control at low speeds and reliable rotation. Basically, a sensored system has a set of 5 sensors and cables, in addition to the 3 power cables on the motor. These sensors constantly communicate to the ESC, telling it what position the motor is in, how fast it's turning, and whether it's going forward or reverse. This level of necessary communication usually decreases the maximum RPM of the motor system compared to sensorless systems, but this can be made up for by making the motor to have more torque. Sensorless systems read pulses of current in the power cables to determine rotation and speed. Because of this, they tend to be capable of higher RPM, but may suffer "cogging" under a load at very low, starting speeds.
traxx de maxx is offline Find More Posts by traxx de maxx
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:52 PM
Rudedog Racing
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Thanks

Thanks! You've cleared a huge amount up for me. Am still curious as to how much an ESC with a programmable throttle curve might run?

Again, Thanks alot!
-Brodie
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:20 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
Typically the throttle curve is on the transmitter, but some ESC's have it as well. In all honesty, unless you're racing at a very high level it's probably something you don't really need at all.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:38 PM
Rudedog Racing
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Thanks agian

Alrighty, thanks. Just thought it would be fun to mess with, so It didn't blow the tires off the thing! Guess it's time to practice some throttle control!

-Brodie
Closed Thread