HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2009, 07:37 PM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,586 Posts
Discussion
progress on my Smit Rotterdam

Blame Norgale for having to endure this. He pointed out to me, when I posted some pictures, that there was a hull which still had a rather big hole at the bottom.
So I god back to the hole in the bottom boat and got rid of the hole. Since i had not done a planking job for 30 years it took some time. Than came that glasing business and I made a wonderfull mess out of it, my first try. So I had to get rid of most of glas stuff and do it again.
Than came the instaling of the running gear. Uf that was something that realy stretched my patients. To get that right, I am used to chainsaws and big hammers and cuting torches and neat stuff like that.
After 1 week I got everything installed to my satisfaction, sanded, smoothed and so on.
Now came the painting thing. The primer was easy, but showed were I had to do more filling, yaiks, and sanding, and filling and sanding.
Why does that never end.
Than I sprayed her the first time and I MADE A MESS of it. Here came the sandpaper, again.
Second try was better, but it still was not 100% the way I wanted it. This time it was polishing paste and a new toy to the rescue, dremel multimax. Well now she looks nice. Just one minor sport, were I MADE A MESS of it, you keep the dremel to long in one place it heats up the paint and burns through it, aaaaagggggr.

Yesterday we had the first rain in 2 month and the run of from the roof filed the dog cool down troff. And SR took her first swim today.
Hihihi, proud daddy and p. off dogs an intruder in their pool.

Today I ordered ESC and nice shiny brass props
Schrott is online now Find More Posts by Schrott
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2009, 08:51 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,719 Posts
Yaaaaaay! Looking very good there Schrott and quit blaming me for your procrastination. The holes are gone and the ship is really starting to take shape. Nice work there and now when can we expect to see this beauty in the real water? Hope you get enough rain to fill up the pond. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Jul 22, 2009, 08:59 PM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,586 Posts
Norgale,
I have to blame somebody for spending my Miller Time filling a hole in a tub and all the cussing and swearing, its you, and now Roadside and Sidewalk a p. off because I used Their pool, and I blame you for it, cause you mentioned the hole in the tub.
Period.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 09:01 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,719 Posts
Hahahahaha! Sidewalk looks to be at least part Border Collie. Glad you got the holes filled. Good Dog! Pete
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:52 PM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrott
Norgale,
I have to blame somebody for spending my Miller Time filling a hole in a tub and all the cussing and swearing,for it, cause you mentioned the hole in the tub.

Leave me out of this.

Oh nice boat.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:10 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,885 Posts
Looks good Schrott. Does Sidewalk walk sideways?
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:10 PM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,586 Posts
Sorry Miller Time, does Coors Time do the trick?

Norgale, I have no idea what Sidewalk is, only thing I know, she is a very sweet companion. She was droped of on the sidewalk in front of my business, 1 monthe old. In a Bud Light box. Bud Light!!!!!!!!, that is animal cruelty.
Corona, maybe even Coors or anything but that stuff, would have been ok.

Next on the Smit will be motors, I got 2 Speed 600, 7.2 V, for it, than the Escs, two for the Speeds and one for the thruster and than batteries to be installed.
I have not made up my mind concerning the bats. I need serious weigth several pounds to get her down. Maybe some leads, 6 volts, 3 of each, for 3 motors. Or the NICs I have with a lot of lead as balast, caliber 50.

The upper structures are winter work, just 3 month to go.

Thanks Kmot, only if she had a beer, she loves XX, with salt and lime
Old Jul 31, 2009, 06:12 PM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,586 Posts
Today I was at the Farmstore and got me a battery 6V 12Amp Hr, we use them to charge 30 miles of electric live stock fence.
I just baught one, $ 30, thinking the sucker would be heavy enough to sink this tub, 6 pounds.
Wrong, even did not get the bowthruster wet. Well added 200 roundball caliber 535 and got close to the waterline. Than I tested the bowthruster, it works, moves the bow quiet nicely, same with the motors, one at a time, she will be moving nicely.

As ESC i decided on 2 proboat 109 for the motors and one of the blue proboats for the thruster. That should allow me to turn this beast.

Battery and the the bullets amount to 18 lbs of ballast. She will brake like a freight train.
Now I will install all the stuff and than do some test runs.
Well need a cloudburst type of rain, had no rain for 2 month and my pond is a puddle.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 06:23 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,601 Posts
It looks like you have enough space that you could put two of those batteries in there.... double your runtime, and get rid of half your shot.
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Jul 31, 2009, 06:42 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,719 Posts
I hope the .50 cal lead isn't live. Get a fire onboard and boom and you may go with it. Ha! Two of those batteries is a good idea since you need so much weight. Looking good Schrott. We'll be cruisin' in no time. Give the dogs a pet for me. Pete
Old Jul 31, 2009, 06:51 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Oregon
Joined Oct 2008
796 Posts
[QUOTE=Schrott]Today I was at the Farmstore and got me a battery 6V 12Amp Hr, we use them to charge 30 miles of electric live stock fence.
I just baught one, $ 30, thinking the sucker would be heavy enough to sink this tub, 6 pounds.

Hi Schrott, if you get a chance, could you post the dimensions (lengthxwidthxheight) of that battery?

thanks,

bob
xx29l9 is offline Find More Posts by xx29l9
Old Aug 01, 2009, 12:01 AM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,586 Posts
dimensions
6" long, 2 wide. 3 3/4 high

I figure that 12 Amps Hr will give me a good run time for what I am looking for, 30 minutes or so.
A second battery would take up some serious room and make the inside realy tight fits. The shot fits nicely under any boards I am putting in for the rc stuff.

Dogs got a dogbone each and The Women 2 Sweet Delicious, each, so I am on the good side.

Blowing up the boat, using ballshot, if this sucker sinks any future archiologist will discover the midged pirates of Granab Mesa
Old Aug 02, 2009, 11:25 AM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,586 Posts
the tray for the ESC and the battery.

the tray for ESC just sits between the ribs, slids in. besides the small ESC I will mount the electrical connectors.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 09:49 PM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,586 Posts
Today was my first day of in 3 weeks and i took the chance to go to the lake.
I had my Nirvana with me and my Smit Rotterdam on her very first time in real water.
Sailing sucked, wind died down after 10 minutes but it left a nice quiet lake for the maiden voyage of my Smit, aint completed jet.
It was a great try out, everything worked as well as I had hoped, she runs very well on one motor, only at top rpm she cavitates badly. get number 2 going and she plows mightily along.
And she plows, huge bow wave, its a freight train. I was surprised how nimble she turns at low speed and high speed.

Playing around with the motors and the bow thruster she turns on the dime.

To stop her full revers on both motors, it takes a while.

I am very pleased with the speed controlls, they allow realy slow turns.

I was a happy boater today.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 09:52 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,885 Posts
Beautiful place to run your model boats!

Congrats on the pre-maiden.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot