HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2010, 08:43 PM
Joined Jul 2010
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Bill, If you end up coming up to Michigan, let us know.

Glenn lives near your route to Dick's. Maybe we could get together and compare notes on our 195's. A group pic may be in order, too.
That works for me. Janelle is an excellent photographer. I'll run I-75 all the way from here to Gratiot, and peel off and take the first cross road to Swan Creek.
Waco Brother is offline Find More Posts by Waco Brother
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2010, 08:57 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,735 Posts
Just let us know, Bill.

Glenn lives just a little east of Ann Arbor, not too far from I-75.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Aug 03, 2010, 02:37 PM
2 Big and Too Heavy
Memphis, TN
Joined Jun 2009
226 Posts
How have I gone this long without subscribing to this thread?

You guys are incredible!
skyline223 is offline Find More Posts by skyline223
Old Aug 03, 2010, 04:24 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline223 View Post
How have I gone this long without subscribing to this thread?

You guys are incredible!

Thanks !

Glenn is getting back into it. I still seem to be on hiatus.

It shouldn't be too long before we both start posting some good progress.
Old Aug 03, 2010, 06:41 PM
2 Big and Too Heavy
Memphis, TN
Joined Jun 2009
226 Posts
Awesome. Looking forward to it!
skyline223 is offline Find More Posts by skyline223
Old Aug 04, 2010, 07:35 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Thanks !

Glenn is getting back into it. I still seem to be on hiatus.

It shouldn't be too long before we both start posting some good progress.
Does that mean "winter" isn't far away.
Fred
Crowfly is offline Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Aug 04, 2010, 07:57 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,735 Posts
Yes, Fred, it does. My late Summer/Fall flowers are already in bloom. We could easily have an early Winter.

Besides that, outside of one major repair, I have all this seasons fixes completed. Now, if I don't crash anymore, I can get back to my Cessna.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 06:30 AM
Joined Feb 2009
426 Posts
You have no reason now Tom after completing your new roof on your home... hint hint'.

Myself... I've been pluggin away at the covering. Not much to post as in photos, just boring stuff. Working on the wings. Once I have the covering completed, I'll post photos on how I'll do the panel lines & rivet details. I have all the moving surfaces finished up to primer base., so those are all done. Other wise... moving along' Glenn
G McIntosh is offline Find More Posts by G McIntosh
Old Aug 09, 2010, 02:29 PM
Joined Feb 2009
426 Posts
Tried something different today in applying solartex to the fully sheeted wing of the 195'. Well different for me... being an old traditionalist in using a monocote iron. Well in the process of covering the wing. After a good final sanding of the sheeting and use of a tak-rag. The wing received a good cote of Stits-Poly-Tak. Sanded lightly... removing fuzz & raised grain. Tak it again. I sealed and stretched around all the edges first. Using a new heat-gun, shrunk what remaining loose fabric there was... nice and tight. Then heated it again in small area's & using a cotton sock rubbed it all down. Talk about easy and nice results... beautiful. Wing 1 ready for some Nitrate dope.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 01:24 PM
SENTA A PUAAA!!!
Brazil, RJ, Miguel Pereira
Joined Apr 2007
919 Posts
Looking nice, Glenn!
Wilian Amaral is offline Find More Posts by Wilian Amaral
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:27 AM
Joined Feb 2009
426 Posts
Have both wings covered now ready for Nitrate dope... Moving onto the fuselage covering & wheel pant details next. Boy I can't wait to Top-cote this 195,
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:51 AM
ROOKIE
Rhode Island
Joined Sep 2008
59 Posts
Solartex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G McIntosh View Post
Tried something different today in applying solartex to the fully sheeted wing of the 195'. Well different for me... being an old traditionalist in using a monocote iron. Well in the process of covering the wing. After a good final sanding of the sheeting and use of a tak-rag. The wing received a good cote of Stits-Poly-Tak. Sanded lightly... removing fuzz & raised grain. Tak it again. I sealed and stretched around all the edges first. Using a new heat-gun, shrunk what remaining loose fabric there was... nice and tight. Then heated it again in small area's & using a cotton sock rubbed it all down. Talk about easy and nice results... beautiful. Wing 1 ready for some Nitrate dope.
So this pic is of a wing with the solartex on?? WOW if so thats amazing! I just received my Hostetler Stinson 108-3 plans and waiting on the woodkit from PCK. 6-8 weeks ! But its not like I don't have things that need to be finished up and this gives me time ! I have been following this thread for awhile and feel like any build question I could ever dream up already has been answered or touch'd upon! Thats awsome and you guys are very talented (Biggest understatement ever)..... O where do you purchase your solartex from ( like I said I'm sure these answers are in here but what the hay, While I'm here ) Do you find any warping that isn't "fixable" with standard methods with solartex??

Thanks,
Erik
BROZ is offline Find More Posts by BROZ
Old Aug 14, 2010, 03:24 PM
Joined Feb 2009
426 Posts
Thanks Erik'... BalsaUSA has the solartex. Warping ? < NEVER'. Glenn.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:35 PM
Joined Jul 2010
24 Posts
Tom, or Glenn,

Either of you gents know anyone who either has or has knowledge of the Byron Originals Ryan ST-A? I have a pristine kit (unopened box until today), and from the instruction manual, and minimal plan, I may need some pointers.

Bill
Waco Brother is offline Find More Posts by Waco Brother
Old Aug 17, 2010, 07:37 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,735 Posts
From what I understand of Byron kits, they must be built according to the plans/instructions. A modification made, may lead to a problem later on.