New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2015, 07:21 PM
Find More Posts by kgantz
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Mar 2015
83 Posts
Question
Need Mini DLG Repair Advice

OK, so I was last in the RC world in the 1980s flying and building all balsa and Monokote airplanes. Fast forward to 2015 and the RC bug has bitten me again. I have been flying mostly "toy" multi-rotors but recently stumbled across the world of Discus Launch Gliders.

Wanting to see if I would like flying DLGs, I purchased a Mini DLG from HobbyKing. It showed up today in a cardboard box (I say "box" but it was more like it was wrapped in cardboard) with no internal support so of course the wing was crushed on one side. I am amazed that is all that is wrong with it. It was so poorly packed, they might have just as well handed it, unpacked, to FedEx. At least then they would see it was something fragile.

Since my experience with HobbyKing leads me to believe I will never get satisfaction from them, I figure I will just repair the wing. The problem is, other than the underlying balsa wood, I have no idea what these materials are. The wing covering is translucent yellow like Monokote but there doesn't appear to be any visible seams anywhere. The center of the wing is covered with something that looks a sheet of carbon fiber and a roll of duct tape had a lovechild.

If I can figure out how to upload a photo, would someone let me know what these materials are? My plan is to remove the bad wood and see if there is any hidden damage. I'm wondering too if I can repair the covering and carbon-fiber-looking material by patching it or if it all must come off?
kgantz is offline Find More Posts by kgantz
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2015, 09:44 PM
Find More Posts by mikejr83
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Jul 2013
373 Posts
I don't know what that covering is but as I've busted up my mini enough outside of the shipping so I can tell you that packing tape works well for repair covering if you're worried about weight.

That sucks about the shipping though. I thought my mini was shipped fairly well being that all I had to do to complete it was but the wing on and mount the horizontal.

Also, if your mini is like mine that material in the center of the wing is not carbon fiber of any sort. It's a sticker! Be careful not to get your iron near it. It will stick!
mikejr83 is offline Find More Posts by mikejr83
Old Apr 12, 2015, 07:31 PM
Joined Mar 2015
83 Posts
Well, at least HobbyKing responded to my email about my package being crushed. They directed me to complete an RMA form and gave me a link to a 17 page manual for doing so. (I'm not kidding!) Ironically the RMA form asked for all of the information I'd already given them.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 09:44 PM
Find More Posts by benskoning
United States, WI, Oshkosh
Joined Feb 2013
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgantz View Post
Well, at least HobbyKing responded to my email about my package being crushed. They directed me to complete an RMA form and gave me a link to a 17 page manual for doing so. (I'm not kidding!) Ironically the RMA form asked for all of the information I'd already given them.
I hate to burst your bubble, you will not get anything from them. I have been waiting for a replacement motor that was D.O.A for the last year.
benskoning is online now Find More Posts by benskoning
Old May 11, 2015, 05:05 AM
Joined Mar 2015
83 Posts
After receiving my Hobby King Mini DLG with a crushed wing, due to the fact that Hobby King did not use a suitable box for shipping, I finally got the wing repaired and got in my maiden flight this weekend. In putting it together after I got the wing repaired, I also noticed that the servo arms were so long that they rubbed the sides of the slide-on canopy and put stress on the servos as they tried to actuate. That lead to another investment in time as I had to trim the servo horns and drill new holes for the pushrods. I have never read about this problem anywhere but my servo travel was actually limited by the interference so I could not ignore it.

As this was the first time I had ever even seen a DLG, let alone tried to throw one, I figured I would capture some of my launches so I could analyze them later. I see already that I need to hold my head up and work on the "snap" part of the throw. It did not "hurt" as much as I thought it would given my advanced age!
First Time DLG (1 min 39 sec)
Old May 11, 2015, 07:49 AM
Find More Posts by elkski
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
4,312 Posts
I guess your repair held up. Great launch vid.
elkski is online now Find More Posts by elkski
Old May 11, 2015, 08:27 AM
Find More Posts by Traian
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Mar 2008
1,378 Posts
About the video.
Keep the hand with the plane behind you. That will give you some extra whip.
Traian is offline Find More Posts by Traian
Old May 11, 2015, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by bbbp
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,647 Posts
Go Straight

And it looks like you may be hanging on too much. Just use the tips of your fingers on the peg, the plane will not fall off. It may give you a straighter launch, instead of the banking right after release.

The launches at about :41 to :45 look better than most. The trajectory is much about timing and finger position.

BP
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old May 11, 2015, 06:55 PM
Joined Mar 2015
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traian View Post
About the video.
Keep the hand with the plane behind you. That will give you some extra whip.
This is a great suggestion! Now that you mention it, I had noticed that arm being farther back when experienced people launched their gliders. Today that movement feels extremely tight in my shoulder but I'm sure it will loosen up by the weekend.
Old May 11, 2015, 06:58 PM
Joined Mar 2015
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp View Post
And it looks like you may be hanging on too much. Just use the tips of your fingers on the peg, the plane will not fall off. It may give you a straighter launch, instead of the banking right after release.

The launches at about :41 to :45 look better than most. The trajectory is much about timing and finger position.

BP
Yes, I was making a determined effort to just use the pads of my fingers but sometimes the thing just seemed to stick to me. I think a lot of it had to do with getting tired over time. It seemed to get better when I started holding my off-hand out, with the radio, farther to sort of counter balance the glider arm. I will concentrate more on this next time.
Old May 11, 2015, 07:05 PM
Joined Mar 2015
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkski View Post
I guess your repair held up. Great launch vid.
Thanks! I didn't hear any creaky noises and everything seems as strong after 2 hours of repeated launching.
Old May 11, 2015, 07:07 PM
Find More Posts by gtrbaby
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2011
1,006 Posts
also add some right rudder to your launch preset - it should straighten up the climb - add around 3-4mm to start
gtrbaby is offline Find More Posts by gtrbaby
Old May 15, 2015, 05:02 AM
Joined Mar 2015
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrbaby View Post
also add some right rudder to your launch preset - it should straighten up the climb - add around 3-4mm to start
Thanks, I will try that this weekend if the weather cooperates. I did have a "touch" of right trim dialed in for launch, but nowhere near 3-4 mm. I was having so much fun flying it, I never adjusted it!