Old May 11, 2014, 02:54 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,847 Posts
Discussion
Youths joining RC clubs

Hello all,

I can't find a section for clubs, (to my surprise), so this seems like the most appropriate place to post this thread.

I'm looking for some comments about what your current air or land based official club's policy is on Youths.

My local air club is small and we are looking at facilitating youths to join our club. We have a discounted rate for them in our new Youth policy as well as some other basic rules and guidelines.

Issues that were raised at our last meeting on the subject were when it comes to voting within the club, do youths get to vote? My initial answer was yes, of course they do, but what happens when you have a small club of older experienced guys and then an increase of teens who are keen but may lack the years of experience that is involved with maintaining a club and official RC field. We wouldn't want the Teens to always have the swing vote..... 10 teens to 6 grown ups in a vote could be a bad move for a club.

A question to others guys in bigger RC clubs: how have you guys dealt with the issue of teens and voting within the club?

I appreciate the feedback, thanks
Heavy Chevy is online now Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2014, 03:19 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,607 Posts
In most of the clubs I've been in the youth/student rate was a discounted rate that did not include voting rights. There would be no problem with a student getting a voting membership if they wanted to pay the higher regular member rate but I've never seen a young kid care to spend the extra money when it is better used on planes, fuel, batteries, girls,etc.

The club I've been in for that last decade always seems to have one or two high school aged members at a time but it is a constant rotation as they go off to college. I'd be surprised if you ever had more than a handful of youth members at a time and even more surprised if more than a couple stuck around for any significant amount of time.
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Last edited by gwh; May 23, 2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old May 23, 2014, 03:38 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwh View Post
In most of the clubs I've been in the youth/student rate was a discounted rate that did not include voting rights. There would be no problem with a student getting a voting membership if they wanted to pay the higher regular member rate but I've never seen a young kid care to spend the extra money when it is better used on planes, fuel, batteries, girls,etc.

The club I've been in for that last decade always seems to have one or two high school aged members at a time but it is a constant rotation as they go off to college. I'd be surprised if you ever had more than a handful of youth members at a time and even more surprised if more than a couple stuck around for any significant amount of time.
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.
Old May 24, 2014, 04:00 PM
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Apr 2001
219 Posts
Our club has free memberships for youth. We average a half dozen at most with all but one or so members kids (I have 2 kids in the club, one flies, the other no interest). They are free until they move out or finish school. Our club runs about 50 members so no issues there.

Stephen
Stephen M is online now Find More Posts by Stephen M
Old May 25, 2014, 03:18 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,847 Posts
Thanks for the input