SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 06, 2013, 10:18 PM
Joined Oct 2013
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
We will be releasing a 5000-50C that will meet the USVTA rules. Hope to have these available by the middle of October.
Last spring I purchased one of the old 5000 packs to run VTA, and one from a different company that is very big and well respected. And, honestly they have good packs too but just not as good as yours, here is why.

I run Mod TC at a large outdoor track and have been running both packs all year. I have your 7200 packs but I've found that running the lighter packs with weight moved around in the car works better for me so I've been running the 5000 packs instead. I run a the typical 4.5t with boost and would say that my car is every bit as fast as any other car to hit the track. I never take a warmup lap, and only run to the last lap. I have been doing this all summer without any issues before today. Yes, some will say just run a bigger pack (more mah) but I really find that to be a problem for handling so it's not going to happen. Yes, the pro's can do it and make it work, I'm not a pro but I do like big HP.

Today the layout used a bit more full throttle than than all the others did. It was an open flowing layout that kept the throttle wide open longer which really eats power with the mod motor cars. I don't run any low voltage cutoff, I know it's there so save your stuff, frankly I don't care I don't want the car ever shutting off even if it costs me a pack.

First round I ran a the other pack with I know was in good condition. Tons of rip, felt awesome, right up until there was 1.5 laps left. I pulled the trigger onto the back straight and immediately knew the pack was dead. I cruised around the last lap at 1./4 throttle and just crossed the line with nothing left in the battery. That pack showed 7.3 volts when it hit the charger but it just had no power left in the end. Also, it had significant puffing, which went down to almost normal after it cooled off.

Next round, and all after that I ran the older version of the SMC 5000 pack. That pack went 6-minutes, no problem, no puffing, no falloff in power, no problem. I went fast lap of the day, during the 6th minute of a round, and left a really happy camper. This pack showed 7.4 volts on the charger after those runs. Not much more voltage on the meter but certainly still had usable power compared to the other pack with a strong finish and still higher voltage.

Judging from how hot the other battery was and the fact that it's didn't show super low voltage I think it's possible that this layout with a mod TC was just too much for it and although it wasn't technically dead it had just couldn't support the amount of power I was looking for and gave up.

Thanks Danny,
Troy Carter is offline Find More Posts by Troy Carter
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2013, 01:02 PM
Joined Mar 2008
102 Posts
Sorry for the late replies.

For the packs that are out of stock it should be 3 weeks before we get more in but I will have a better idea of when packs will come in by the end of this week. China has been on a one week vacation and they are coming back to work on the 8th. We have plenty of packs on order but the factory seems to be very busy and it's taking longer than normal to fill out our orders. This is beyond my control.
Danny/SMC is offline Find More Posts by Danny/SMC
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:45 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jul 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
Last spring I purchased one of the old 5000 packs to run VTA, and one from a different company that is very big and well respected. And, honestly they have good packs too but just not as good as yours, here is why.

I run Mod TC at a large outdoor track and have been running both packs all year. I have your 7200 packs but I've found that running the lighter packs with weight moved around in the car works better for me so I've been running the 5000 packs instead. I run a the typical 4.5t with boost and would say that my car is every bit as fast as any other car to hit the track. I never take a warmup lap, and only run to the last lap. I have been doing this all summer without any issues before today. Yes, some will say just run a bigger pack (more mah) but I really find that to be a problem for handling so it's not going to happen. Yes, the pro's can do it and make it work, I'm not a pro but I do like big HP.

Today the layout used a bit more full throttle than than all the others did. It was an open flowing layout that kept the throttle wide open longer which really eats power with the mod motor cars. I don't run any low voltage cutoff, I know it's there so save your stuff, frankly I don't care I don't want the car ever shutting off even if it costs me a pack.

First round I ran a the other pack with I know was in good condition. Tons of rip, felt awesome, right up until there was 1.5 laps left. I pulled the trigger onto the back straight and immediately knew the pack was dead. I cruised around the last lap at 1./4 throttle and just crossed the line with nothing left in the battery. That pack showed 7.3 volts when it hit the charger but it just had no power left in the end. Also, it had significant puffing, which went down to almost normal after it cooled off.

Next round, and all after that I ran the older version of the SMC 5000 pack. That pack went 6-minutes, no problem, no puffing, no falloff in power, no problem. I went fast lap of the day, during the 6th minute of a round, and left a really happy camper. This pack showed 7.4 volts on the charger after those runs. Not much more voltage on the meter but certainly still had usable power compared to the other pack with a strong finish and still higher voltage.

Judging from how hot the other battery was and the fact that it's didn't show super low voltage I think it's possible that this layout with a mod TC was just too much for it and although it wasn't technically dead it had just couldn't support the amount of power I was looking for and gave up.

Thanks Danny,
Sounds like you're pushing that pack right near its limite, so as the pack degrads, you're really pushing it. Sounds like it got to the point the IR got high enough to make the voltage drop too much under load (most likely below 6v) and basically got the pack hot which makes it swell up and shrink once it cools down. If you like the lower weight of the smaller packs, going with the 4600mah 70c pack is probably what you want, I think you'd be pushing the 5100mah 40c pack too much, but I'm sure Danny can chime in to confirm/deny that.
rcjunky1 is offline Find More Posts by rcjunky1
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:28 AM
Joined Oct 2013
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunky1 View Post
Sounds like you're pushing that pack right near its limite, so as the pack degrads, you're really pushing it. Sounds like it got to the point the IR got high enough to make the voltage drop too much under load (most likely below 6v) and basically got the pack hot which makes it swell up and shrink once it cools down. If you like the lower weight of the smaller packs, going with the 4600mah 70c pack is probably what you want, I think you'd be pushing the 5100mah 40c pack too much, but I'm sure Danny can chime in to confirm/deny that.
Danny's pack was perfect, it was the other manufacturer's pack that had problems.

That said, yes I pushed the pack way beyond what most will do and although I realize I can run higher mah packs, or higher C rated packs, these lighter packs allow me to run faster with weight moved where needed. Normally, I only need to put about 4000mah back into the packs, that day I was putting 4600mah back in which certainly puts the 5000mah packs right at the end of their useful power.
Troy Carter is offline Find More Posts by Troy Carter
Old Oct 15, 2013, 03:38 PM
Joined Aug 2013
7 Posts
Any update on back orders?
Graham11 is offline Find More Posts by Graham11
Old Oct 17, 2013, 09:55 PM
Joined Oct 2013
2 Posts
Can't post pics here yet but take a looks at this what do y'all think about it it's my smc 6500 race formula melted a small hole in the bottom the pack hasn't got hot or even swelled
http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4cdceeeb.jpg

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...hread-165.html
Brettk is offline Find More Posts by Brettk
Old Oct 17, 2013, 10:19 PM
Joined Oct 2013
2 Posts
I wish you would post on the other forum so I don't have to come here. Having some issues with one of my packs it seems to have shorted out internally and melted a hole in the bottom of the case.
Brettk is offline Find More Posts by Brettk
Old Oct 18, 2013, 09:17 PM
Joined Oct 2013
2 Posts
Quote:
Sorry for the late replies.

For the packs that are out of stock it should be 3 weeks before we get more in but I will have a better idea of when packs will come in by the end of this week. China has been on a one week vacation and they are coming back to work on the 8th. We have plenty of packs on order but the factory seems to be very busy and it's taking longer than normal to fill out our orders. This is beyond my control.
Awesome, going to place an order!
Dodgeguy is offline Find More Posts by Dodgeguy
Old Oct 19, 2013, 09:58 AM
Joined Mar 2008
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettk View Post
I wish you would post on the other forum so I don't have to come here. Having some issues with one of my packs it seems to have shorted out internally and melted a hole in the bottom of the case.

What is the voltage of the 2 cells ?
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 01, 2013, 01:54 AM
Joined Sep 2013
1 Posts
Just have to ask if there is any new update on your shorty packs being in stock soon? Thanks
janaya is offline Find More Posts by janaya
Old Nov 01, 2013, 04:10 PM
Joined Mar 2008
102 Posts
If all goes as planned and the factory doesn't change the date we will have them on the 18th.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 09, 2013, 09:16 PM
Joined Feb 2009
9 Posts
When will these be in stock? http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=175
signguy71 is offline Find More Posts by signguy71
Old Nov 10, 2013, 09:34 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy71 View Post
+1 i ordered over a month ago and my order still shows as "pending". Any estimates as to when they'll be in stock?

Btw We really miss you back at the "other" forum.
Rockthecatbox21 is offline Find More Posts by Rockthecatbox21
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:03 AM
Joined Mar 2008
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21 View Post
+1 i ordered over a month ago and my order still shows as "pending". Any estimates as to when they'll be in stock?

Btw We really miss you back at the "other" forum.
The 5050-4S2P is due in on the 18th. As soon as the packs come in pre-orders will start shipping out.

Nice to hear I'm missed but unfortunately I will not participate on that site anymore. Anyone who needs info can ask it here or on the SMC Facebook page.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 11, 2013, 05:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
The 5050-4S2P is due in on the 18th. As soon as the packs come in pre-orders will start shipping out.

Nice to hear I'm missed but unfortunately I will not participate on that site anymore. Anyone who needs info can ask it here or on the SMC Facebook page.
Thanks. No rush at all as i won't be using them till next year. Just curious is all. Appreciate your products and service. I usually plan on replacing 4wd sct packs at the end of the year, but your packs from the start of this year are still going strong.
Rockthecatbox21 is offline Find More Posts by Rockthecatbox21