Old Nov 04, 2013, 02:59 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Bullit View Post
Didn't know about that one.
I think the FOV of the standard Mobius is too wide and fisheyey, and probably won't be getting one of those.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2013, 03:30 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
I see nothing about another lens at eletoponline365....
Yeah, not all the stores list them, but they definitely are available. You may have to email the store, but I would have thought the China direct sellers would certainly list them (with just the lens as well as the entire lens/CMOS module with ribbon cable) in their web pages.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Nov 04, 2013, 03:32 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,444 Posts
Quote:
Didn't know about that one.
I think the FOV of the standard Mobius is too wide and fisheyey, and probably won't be getting one of those.
I agree with one exception... when you shoot in 720p narrow mode, the wider FOV is better with not so excessive fisheye distortion. It's still there to a lesser degree, of course, but it's a good alternative to have for those wanting to shoot at 60 fps, for example.
Old Nov 04, 2013, 04:50 PM
Spain, AL, Seville
Joined Nov 2013
2 Posts
Lens for Mobius:

2.8mm ~ 16mm M12 x 0.5

SirNoish is offline Find More Posts by SirNoish
Old Nov 04, 2013, 04:59 PM
Joined Feb 2011
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirNoish View Post
Lens for Mobius:
Could you please post a sample shot with the 6mm lens? Thanks!
RogerDH is offline Find More Posts by RogerDH
Old Nov 04, 2013, 05:41 PM
Joined Apr 2013
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The wide angle lens has excellent sharpness corner-to-corner, and the WB settings will not change that at all. Only the color hues are different to compensate for the different glass and lens construction. You are wrong about the bit rate not changing, though. The values you see recorded with the video properties are an average value, not a fixed value. The video data rate is variable, and will go up and down in order to keep the same approximate quality as the level of detail and motion changes during the video.
I know the color hes are different, but I thought the specific auto-WB for the B lens would correct that (I like the original lens's colors). I can always use the A settings for the B lenses... Those different combinations are what I'm looking for...

Yes I know the bitrate varies, but what I was saying is that even if the maximum is 18mbps, it would provide a bit of a lossy detail for the same scene and same bitrate with the different lenses because one caches more information than the other, right? Did you know what I mean? It can't process the same information obtained by the 2 lenses in the same way, I the maximum bitrate is 18 (or 20) for each...right? I mean, it shouldn't be noticeable - I just want to know if my thought is correct.
PedroDank is offline Find More Posts by PedroDank
Old Nov 04, 2013, 06:18 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDH View Post
Could you please post a sample shot with the 6mm lens? Thanks!
Or samples with all of them?
Like this?
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Nov 04, 2013, 07:31 PM
Joined Feb 2011
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirNoish View Post
Lens for Mobius:

2.8mm ~ 16mm M12 x 0.5

I just looked at the details on that site and these lenses do not have IR filters or coatings. (They're really made for surveillance cameras which frequently have a night-vision mode with IR illumination.) That's probably going to cause problems with unnatural color, but I'd still like to see samples.
RogerDH is offline Find More Posts by RogerDH
Old Nov 04, 2013, 08:04 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroDank View Post
I know the color hes are different, but I thought the specific auto-WB for the B lens would correct that (I like the original lens's colors). I can always use the A settings for the B lenses... Those different combinations are what I'm looking for...

Yes I know the bitrate varies, but what I was saying is that even if the maximum is 18mbps, it would provide a bit of a lossy detail for the same scene and same bitrate with the different lenses because one caches more information than the other, right? Did you know what I mean? It can't process the same information obtained by the 2 lenses in the same way, I the maximum bitrate is 18 (or 20) for each...right? I mean, it shouldn't be noticeable - I just want to know if my thought is correct.
The Lens B WB setting with the B lens doesn't exactly match the Lens A WB setting with the A lens. It virtually impossible get them to look the same, even in identical lighting conditions (according to the developer).

I understand what your saying about the bit rate, but I can't say your conclusion is necessarily correct for only the reasons you mention. The wider lens captures a wider FOV, but the image is also smaller, so details get smaller at the same time, and it's the combination of the lens resolving power and fixed number of CMOS pixels to render the image that can make detail harder to display in addition to being harder to compress without turning into mush. And it also depends on what is in that extra FOV area. If it's a blank wall, for example with little detail, a narrow FOV could actually have more detail to render in the same frame size then the wider FOV. And finally, it's normal for the focus to drop off a little near the edges and corners as the len AOV increases. In that regard, I think you'll find the B lens does very well in keeping the image sharp with no significant color fringing or vignetting from corner to corner of the frame.

Also scene motion becomes less with equal camera movement when the FOV is wider because the smaller objects don't move as much in the frame if camera deflection angles are the same for both a wide and narrow AOV. And less motion would also allow the bit rate to decrease while quality is maintained.

So, I think there could be cases where your basic assumption turns out to be true, and other cases where the opposite might be true due to all the things that are affecting the rendered image. A good comparison would be to shoot similar scenes with both lenses, but move closer to the objects with the wider AOV lens, such that the object sizes are nearly the same in both videos. Then compare the recorded videos.

The bit rate can still easily ramp up into the high 20 kbps range when set on the lower quality settings. If you have a way to view the bit rate histogram, you'll see the bit rate distribution for the entire video, from lowest to highest. The older AviDemux (v 5.6, and prior, I think) has a histogram viewer in the tools menu that shows this.
Old Nov 04, 2013, 08:27 PM
Scratch building addict
United States, CA, Felton
Joined Jan 2005
654 Posts
Well I liked this camera for a few days, when I was recording vids under 10min in length. Now I am getting corrupt files past the first one every time I record a video longer than 10 min.

I am NOT PLEASED, the adata card works fine in my droid phone, therefore I am thinking it is the cameras fault. No header I am thinking, as file info gives no details in windows.

Anyone have an idea on a fix for this, firmware, etc? I am just about completely fed up with chinese vendors at this point.
rotagen is offline Find More Posts by rotagen
Old Nov 04, 2013, 09:00 PM
Joined Sep 2013
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotagen View Post
Well I liked this camera for a few days, when I was recording vids under 10min in length. Now I am getting corrupt files past the first one every time I record a video longer than 10 min.

I am NOT PLEASED, the adata card works fine in my droid phone, therefore I am thinking it is the cameras fault. No header I am thinking, as file info gives no details in windows.

Anyone have an idea on a fix for this, firmware, etc? I am just about completely fed up with chinese vendors at this point.
Check the GUI and set the recording length to MAX, this fixed my corrupted videos. Also, I copy the videos to my computer and format the SD card for a fresh start; I never just delete the files.
donandann is online now Find More Posts by donandann
Old Nov 04, 2013, 09:36 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotagen View Post

Start by formatting the card using the camera's built-in formatting routine. Use the GUI tool to do this if you use that. If you format it on your PC, use the SDformatter.exe program rather than the PC internal formatting routine.

Cards are fickle things. Working in one device does nothing to assure it will work in a different one. If the problem does not go away, try a different card, and test your adata card with h2testw.exe utility to confirm it's error free, and then test with CrystalDiskmark.exe utility to test for read/write speed (4MB/sec. minimum sequential read/write speed, and 512k random write speed of about .8 MB/sec. minimum preferably.
Old Nov 04, 2013, 10:47 PM
Scratch building addict
United States, CA, Felton
Joined Jan 2005
654 Posts
OK thanks for the replies, I have spent some reading time and now I've updated to firmware 0.67 avi, hopefully this is a good one?

I really don't like the quicktime format or anything apple for that matter so hopefully now they will be avi. Also updated the settings to max time from 10 minutes.
rotagen is offline Find More Posts by rotagen
Old Nov 04, 2013, 11:29 PM
überprüfen Sie Ihre sechs
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
A little more RC combat fun with the mobius ! She took a licken and kept on ticken

Sod farm fun RC combat Grim Reapers (4 min 53 sec)
czechyour6 is online now Find More Posts by czechyour6
Old Nov 05, 2013, 01:20 AM
Joined Jan 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
I see nothing about another lens at eletoponline365....
Here http://www.minidvcameras.co.uk/viewi...p?productid=64 they have the wide angle lens . I made them an email yesterday as the product is shown as out-of-stock and they answered :

"They should be back in stock early next week. I ordered some today.
regards
Chris
Webbex Mini DV Cameras
www.minidvcameras.co.uk"
paolo61yt is offline Find More Posts by paolo61yt