HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined May 2011
583 Posts
Discussion
1S Lipo ... Any users? Servo recommendations?

Hi folks.

Please let me know your thoughts on sailing small boats on 1S lipo - I'd love to lose the weight of my regulator and go 2P if I can for my next build.

Thanks!
northernmike is offline Find More Posts by northernmike
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:56 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
884 Posts
Works fine in a Footy.
All the receivers I have used AM, FM and 2.4gHz work ok and servos lose a little torque so size accordingly. Power consumption is less than on 2s too so batteries last longer. I have used Lithium Ion cells mainly, even a surplus small cell phone battery with protection circuit.. Then you have a charger too. For racing you can go down to a 150 - 200 mAh LiPo cell that weighs less than 10 grams with connector. This is the easiest way to cut weight in any small boat.

Yesterday I had a fire (little burnt balsa) in my RG65 after shorting the battery with a faulty charge plug, so I recommend a Polyswitch in the circuit to protect against shorts caused by faulty equipment and stalled large.sail servos that might otherwise be damaged.
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined May 2011
583 Posts
Thank you kind sir.

Very encouraging indeed!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Mike

If you are looking to shed weight for the C/L MM then I would suggest going the LiFe way..

The smaller Mah versions are quite suitable for Racing & fit well in most servo specs...

6.6v 1000mAh LiFe RX Battery Vapextech will do a full days racing... Only 50g

Zippy Flightmax @ 41g (700mah) are pretty good as well...

Cheers

John
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:18 AM
Joined May 2011
583 Posts
Thanks John.... Will have a look.

I have enough 15g 350mAh LiPo that I could change one each race and charge at home, though - tempting to try.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:35 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
Yesterday I had a fire (little burnt balsa) in my RG65 after shorting the battery with a faulty charge plug, so I recommend a Polyswitch in the circuit to protect against shorts caused by faulty equipment and stalled large.sail servos that might otherwise be damaged.
Great idea. Where can you buy them in lots less than 100K....like 3 or 4 at a time?

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined May 2011
583 Posts
Rusty what servos do you favour in your footies?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:36 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
884 Posts
I am not familiar with small USA parts sellers, but RS and Mouser, should have them. Audio retail use small ones for speaker protection. Ebay and Amazon for mail order.

A 350 mAh Lipo should do a Footy in moderate conditions with a balanced rig for two hours.
As I only use balanced rigs, I can use small servos. A 9 -15 gm sail servo is possible provided you choose a highly geared slow type. Some of the more expensive brands like Hyperion have huge torque digitals up to 8kg/cm at 6volts! But I have used as small and cheap as HXT/TowerPro SG90 for rudder and sail servos! There are compromises to be made in sailing. You are not going to be able to sheet in running without a course alteration to unload the sail briefly. But these are a hardy and somewhat slower servo so no problems with gears. I have replaced the rudder and sail servos after a year or more of regular sailing with shorted or damaged boards that drive the servo hard over, but these Footies are sailed by lots of kids who know nothing of easing the loads on the servos. A 30 gm operating system in a Footy is easily possible! But maybe not necessary. Remember Roger's winning Footys weigh over half a kg!

Roger Stollery uses small servos on his large swing rigged Footys, but uses his Power Lever to increase torque when sheeting in. There seems little point to me to use traditional arm sail servos where torque is constant at the end of the arm!?
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail