HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:35 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,380 Posts
Discussion
DeAgostini's Subscription Plan

This could be interesting, in light of recent notes about the LHS, demise of small suppliers, and the predicted demise of the hobby itself:

DeAgostini/UK is a hobby outfit that sells fairly high-end static kits (at least, they ask high-end prices!), using a subscription service. You sign up, and pay about $10/week (at least, in the UK; postage extra to North America!), and they send a few bits and instructions every week for about 2 years. Allows you to rationalize the high cost by spreading it out over time, and should allow you plenty of time to finish the job without being overwhelmed by a huge box of parts and an instruction manual 1 inch thick.!

I blogged a little about it at:
http://matthewsmodelmarine.wordpress...n-of-the-seas/

Is it working?
Well, there's a lot of production effort that goes into their package (weekly "magazine", web site maintenence, customer fulfillment, etc), which suggests that they can afford the staff. And I know they have a professional marketing push behind their latest project (I was contacted...), and THAT ain't free... so it must be working for them.

Maybe some lessons to be learned here for our smaller suppliers?
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:19 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,380 Posts
So, anyone here (including in the UK) ever try any DeAgostini models?

They have a Yamato as well as some other stick-and-strings models... all actually manufactured by Artesania Latina, but the whole subscription thing is run by DeAgostini.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:38 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
are the models exclusive to the name and can't be had any other way? are the models even worth around $500 in bits and bobs?
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:01 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,625 Posts
Models are exclusive to them and in the UK., the present offering is 805 for the complete series. $1200 ?

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:03 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
I kinda remember some one here starting the Yamato - how'd that thread end up?

Actually I disagree about the demise of small suppliers, I actually think that they will be a mainstay of the craft in the future - the artisanal modeling company, like silent hunter's, Lee Upshaw's or GILL RC's. I would point to the "garage modeling" markets in both Japan and the US as a possible prototype of the type of operation we might be seeing arise. Nobody gonna get rich doing this, but just maybe the hobby will still plug along on short run plugs (srry).

The dropping cost of laser cutting systems, like the epilog, is going to bring kit/short kit production within the reach of anyone who can use CAD/CAM - e.g. Milton Thrasher's operation down in Floridia. ThreeD printers will kick out our fittings - modeling companies may just sell digital templates for both systems, the modeler finds a production house to make them.

Whatever form it takes, I think we will see less of larger companies like Fisher and Dumas and much more of the artisan builders and modelers turning semi-pro or pro to fill the gap.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Sep 09, 2012 at 05:03 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined May 2009
215 Posts
None of the partworks sells in the US, although earlier in the year DeAgostini told me they plan on starting sales in the US in the near future. Although when you add up the cost of these, they are expensive, you get more than just a model, you get historical background and info in every installment. I have been wanting to try one of these for years, figuring they would be great for when I am at sea, working on a small bit at a time to make the larger whole. For this reason, I actually acquired a complete unused Lancaster Bomber partwork from Hachette and plan on trying it the next time out. These kits are highly detailed, and I for one, would jump at the chance at having a subscription.
capterik is offline Find More Posts by capterik
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:48 PM
Nickel Belter
Northern Ontario
Joined Jun 2009
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
ThreeD printers will kick out our fittings - modeling companies may just sell digital templates for both systems, the modeler finds a production house to make them.
I think that PatMat and others have posted enough about 3D printing systems to prove that they are absolutely NOT suitable for cranking out kit fittings. The cost/quality intersection is IMO worse than standard cast metal or resin or even low-pressure blow moulding.
ZZ56 is offline Find More Posts by ZZ56
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:03 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ56 View Post
I think that PatMat and others have posted enough about 3D printing systems to prove that they are absolutely NOT suitable for cranking out kit fittings
Never say never - The current generation of low to medium end machines currently available to us now that is true.

There are high end, specialized systems are capable of near mirror finishes right off the platter with very high resolution right now. Do NOT discount what will be available in 3 to five years or ten years out.

I agree casting is the way to go right now, but tomorrow - we'll see.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:11 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capterik View Post
None of the partworks sells in the US, although earlier in the year DeAgostini told me they plan on starting sales in the US in the near future. Although when you add up the cost of these, they are expensive, you get more than just a model, you get historical background and info in every installment. I have been wanting to try one of these for years, figuring they would be great for when I am at sea, working on a small bit at a time to make the larger whole. For this reason, I actually acquired a complete unused Lancaster Bomber partwork from Hachette and plan on trying it the next time out. These kits are highly detailed, and I for one, would jump at the chance at having a subscription.
Yes, it would be interesting to have these more readily available Stateside. Don't know if it's a hint or not, but I've been asked to do a review build on the Sovereign of the Seas... it'll be a real test, as "sticks and strings" hasn't really been my thing!

But I'm posting about it on a dedicated blog... just started on the first 4 installments, 131 more to go!

A Yankee Builds DeAgostini's "Sovereign of the Seas"

Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:43 PM
oldtribefan
Walnut Creek, CA
Joined May 2007
590 Posts
Nice blog, Pat. Now I would like to see you figure out a way to waterproof it and add some nice RC gear!
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:46 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,227 Posts
The tall ship modelers have always had to battle the intimidation factor of their craft.
Many practicums from various authors have been published to help break down the
constructions and kits into smaller less mind numbing goals. As egos and ideas sometimes
clash, the rise of bulletin boards like RCgroups have given the modelers more social ways
to discuss the issues that eventually arise in the construction of these classic tall ship models.
One these boards is Model Ship World.
http://modelshipworld.com/phpBB2/index.php

I have seen ship cross sections to whole ships planned and constructed by groups of
modelers online.
H.M.S. Triton, 28 gun frigate (Cross Section)

H.M.S. Triton, 28 gun frigate (Complete Model)
The detail, down to the 16-20 piece build up per ship frame is incredible.
And it is presented and built up a post at a time till everyone has completed their model.
Each person works at their own speed and can lead or follow along as the
kit or scratch built ship model progresses.

DeAgostini's Subscription Plan has some great precedents to follow.
Even the old Revell Master Modelers Club. I believe they used to send
one small kit a month to the avid model build back in the "day".

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:18 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,581 Posts
Not a subscription offer but has anyone come across the JoTiKa build tutorials? They are out of the UK & make some outstanding kits

http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024...uals_Front.htm

You'll find a Victory build over at MBM.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/for...?topic=35110.0
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined May 2009
215 Posts
Now sold in the US!
http://www.model-space.com/us/
capterik is offline Find More Posts by capterik
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:49 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2006
595 Posts
100 / month for 12 months, kinda steep. wow.
Thought about it till i saw the price.

Edit: Just checked Mamoli's price for their victory, the subscription is actually cheaper. Man those kits are pricey.
I would like to tackle one someday, just not one of that size / price for starters.
mitchlandry is offline Find More Posts by mitchlandry
Last edited by mitchlandry; Dec 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:01 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,380 Posts
USA, USA!
Neat, don't know if/when they'll offer the Sovereign... the mass market here would be (slightly) more familiar with Victory...
What's interesting is that this is a big enough biz to warrant TV ads in the UK... Youtube has them:

DeAgostini also comes in for unwarranted price criticism in the UK... mostly from folks who just don't understand the value of high end hobby stuff... but they might gladly drop just as large a chunk of change on OTHER hobbies (a show dog pup... a bike... engine upgrade parts for a motorbike...computer... sewing machine...). Whatever spins your props, it's your money!

De Agostini Sovereign of the Seas (0 min 31 sec)