HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:03 PM
Quebec Aerotow Association
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
573 Posts
Discussion
R2 Hobbies 3m Gliderman

I fnally picked up the 3m gliderman from R2 Hobbies -- really nice !!!

Only problem is that it comes with no instructions. I asked R2Hobbies directly for instructions and information and they are unable to help. Quite odd as it apparantly their own design

The only thing i got from them is that the CG is at 30-33%.

Has anyone ever built one before? Is so, how did you do the linkages in tail?

any pictures would help.

thanks
Charlescd is offline Find More Posts by Charlescd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined May 2010
389 Posts
Yes I have one it is a easy build. Will let you know more in the morning got to go out now
WallsRoofing71 is online now Find More Posts by WallsRoofing71
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined May 2010
389 Posts
Sorry to leaving you hanging. I have a Gliderman The elevator servo was a little confusing at first because I had not built a glider with the servo in the tail.But after I got that part working right the rest was easy. I really like this bird the only thing that is bad or good about it is it just does not want to land. LOL It will float 3-4 feet off the ground for ever. I do mean for ever once I found this out and started my landing approach back more it is easer to land. But again you will need a lot of room to get her down with no flaps or spoilers. I am already looking at putting spoilers on it sooner than later.
Motor Power 32 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 770Kv by E-flite (EFLM4032A)
ESC 45 with brake set
Prop 13-7 folder with bb turbo spinner put holes in motor mount to allow air to go over front of motor.
Battery 4s 5000 40-60 burst
This set-up made the CG dead on with the battery back some from the motor or you can move it forward to push the CG forward. I have found that it lands and flys so much better dead on CG
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:52 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,133 Posts
To help settle the plane down to landing, try running the motor just fast enough to keep the prop extended. The windmiling prop will gently bleed off energy. I use this on my OLY II both at atltitude and on final approach. I don't have flaps or spoilers, so the prop is my only way to slow down.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined May 2010
573 Posts
Hi,
Did you get a manual with yours? Also what is your CG?

Mine did not come with any instructions. I'm probably going to start the build this weekend.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined May 2010
573 Posts
I'm quite surprised that there isn't much information on this glider. I searched google and there's nothing.

So far the quality from unpacking the plane seems very good. they also knocked the price down to 190.00$.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined May 2010
389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlescd View Post
Hi,

Mine did not come with any instructions. I'm probably going to start the build this weekend.
No info came with it to build it by. Once you get by the elevator servo and hooking it up everything else will be easy for you. I will check the CG # for you when I have time and send it t you. I will also take a picture of the elevator servo for you and post it.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined May 2010
389 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

The CG is 1/3 0f the wing cord or 88mm. on the first time up for mine I set it forward to 80mm now I have it back at 85mm. I may move it back to the 88mm point but I really like how it flys at the 85mm mark.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:26 PM
Joined May 2010
573 Posts
Thanks for your help. I really appreciate this.
Charles
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined May 2010
573 Posts
Here is wing panel #1.

The accessories that are given with the kit are very good. Nice and solid.

I'm using Emax servos which are pretty small so i had to use double backed tape to center the servo on the top servo brace. I then used a zip-tie. It's solid and does not move. Both wings come in 2 sections but I'm installing mine permanently into one piece per side. I'll be using clear film on the seam. It wont' show and will not come apart.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:49 AM
Joined May 2010
389 Posts
Quote:
Here is wing panel #1.

The accessories that are given with the kit are very good. Nice and solid.

I'm using Emax servos which are pretty small so i had to use double backed tape to center the servo on the top servo brace. I then used a zip-tie. It's solid and does not move. Both wings come in 2 sections but I'm installing mine permanently into one piece per side. I'll be using clear film on the seam. It wont' show and will not come apart.
I did as you did but I made the center part together and install the tips when ready to fly. Smaller package to carry around
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined May 2010
573 Posts
good idea.

I'm still puzzled by the tail.

Since the rudder is groved in a V shape, I'll use 3 hinges to keep it in place. Did you install rudder control on both sides or just one arm?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined May 2010
389 Posts
Quote:
good idea.

I'm still puzzled by the tail.

Since the rudder is groved in a V shape, I'll use 3 hinges to keep it in place. Did you install rudder control on both sides or just one arm?
I only used one side it works great. They send it that way in case you would like to do a push pull deal on rudder. I left it open back there so the air from the motor could get out the back it works well like that. I have not had any heating at all of the motor. Let me clear that UP lol I put the cover over the elev. servo but left the opening for other push rod open to let the air out.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:19 AM
Joined May 2010
573 Posts
I fiddled around with it last night and I'll be doing the same. I realized that the servos i wanted to put in the tail are too small physically. I had one HS-81 as an extra from another glider and that fits right in. I ordered another one last night so that will delay the build for a week or so.

For anyone wanting to buy this glider -- HS-81 servos fit perfectly everywhere. That's one question I asked R2Hobbies direclty and they could not answer.

Since I already have my E-maxx servos, I'll be using 2 for the wings and 2 HS-81 for the tail.

I'm also modifying the elevator rod. I believe one end was suppose to be a Z-bend but it's just a 90 degree bend. The rod will pop out at nothing. Luckily i have other rods lying around.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:56 PM
Joined Aug 2006
20 Posts
Looks like a powered bird of time knockoff ... can you use the manual from the bird of time for it?
feetball is offline Find More Posts by feetball