HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Sep 2011
2 Posts
Help!
Is it OK to cut this motor shaft?

Hi, This may be a simple question for some. I need to mount brushless motor like this:

on to a quadcopter mount point like this:

As you can see the shaft is too long at the bottom. I know I can reverse the shaft but then I will have to buy 4 new sets of propeller adaptor. Is it OK to cut the extra length without effecting its operation? I will protect the magnet inside with a plastic bag when cutting.
kkman20xx is offline Find More Posts by kkman20xx
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:47 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,536 Posts
RCTimer.com has motors with and without shafts out the back. Most multi-rotor flyers just buy the correct motors instead of modifying motors.

An alternative is to drill a hold in the mount and let the extra shaft hand down.

The problem with cutting a shaft is that the magnets inside the motor will collect the iron filings and cause it to not run correctly and fail in flight. Remove the shaft then cut it and clean it and put it back in.
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:16 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,395 Posts
Either method works fine.

Personally, I'd reverse the shaft and go with separate collet prop adapters. I just like using those more than the bolt-on type. Since they're so universal, they tend to be easier to find and cheaper to replace if you damage them in a crash.

If you cut the shaft, see if you can remove it completely instead of using the plastic bag. The bag works but I've found that it can be less than reliable if the shaft heats up during the cutting process, which can melt the plastic and render the bag useless.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:21 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
remove the mount, cover the entire motor in electrical tape including the bearings and cut it with a dremel tool. I have dont this on various motors and never had a problem.
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:15 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
Either method works fine.

Personally, I'd reverse the shaft and go with separate collet prop adapters.
I never liked that because the shaft will bend so easily. If a prop hits the ground it always bends the prop. I have seen lots of multi-rotors that have slightly bent shafts and the increased vibration really messed up the controller board resulting in very poor stability. Beginners are always having this problem.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Sep 2011
2 Posts
Thx for the replies guys, I will cut the shaft then. I just want to make what I have here work rather than buying more stuff. I can replace the shaft if need be.
kkman20xx is offline Find More Posts by kkman20xx