HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:42 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,902 Posts
I'll join you in that step and go one better: "they" should pay Wayne a lump sum, a big one, 'cuz we all know you can't trust the Chinese to do the "right thing."
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:35 AM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
...we all know you can't trust the Chinese to do the "right thing."
Not ONLY the Chinese, and not ALL Chinese just because they're Chinese. That's a pretty offensive remark you made there.

The very worst offender of all is right there in the USA. We all know who that is.

And yes, I wholeheartedly agree with the above comments on Wayne and his ESR meter. Both are great.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:37 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,902 Posts
Who?

It is a matter of common knowledge that the "Chinese" in mainland "China" steal intellectual property.

As for all other Chinese, I neither implied nor stated they were "at fault."

Now, let's not make this a Canada/U.S. thing.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:52 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,902 Posts
No need to believe me, here is an authoritative source, which, in context, makes it clear that the conversation is always about mainland China, not all Chinese: http://www.businessweek.com/articles...rate-espionage
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:54 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,629 Posts
Can we stick to the ESR meter here? There are millions of off-shore bashing forums elsewhere.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:58 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic View Post
Can we stick to the ESR meter here? There are millions of off-shore bashing forums elsewhere.
Absolutely!

Wayne, do you have a patent on this thing?

Just my guess, but it sounds like the overall "process" is in the public domain, so you may be SOL.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:08 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,958 Posts
Unfortunately, Wayne cannot patent Lord Kelvin's brain, although I would support such if it were possible.

Even though 4-wire Kelvin sensing is in the public domain, a device patent for the specific application and implementation method can certainly be patented. I'm sure that Wayne has more fun things to do with his time than to fiddle with patent attorneys though.

For those who like techie things, here's a really good explanation of 4-wire testing, which Wayne's excellent ESR Meter employs: http://www.cirris.com/testing/resistance/fourwire.html

Cheers,
Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:15 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Unfortunately, Wayne cannot patent Lord Kelvin's brain, although I would support such if it were possible.

Even though 4-wire Kelvin sensing is in the public domain, a device patent for the specific application and implementation method can certainly be patented. I'm sure that Wayne has more fun things to do with his time than to fiddle with patent attorneys though.

For those who like techie things, here's a really good explanation of 4-wire testing, which Wayne's excellent ESR Meter employs: http://www.cirris.com/testing/resistance/fourwire.html

Cheers,
Mark
By implication, my point, exactly, though my experience suggests that in this field, patents, NOTHING IS CERTAIN.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:17 AM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Absolutely!

Wayne, do you have a patent on this thing?

Just my guess, but it sounds like the overall "process" is in the public domain, so you may be SOL.
Thanks for kind comments - you've actually got me embarassed which takes some doing!

Answer is ' No, I don't have a patent and I'm sure it is not patentable'. I think the basic technique is fairly widely used but I just tailored the thing to lipos which I use as a modeller and became aware of just how much fiction there was out there in terms of "C" rating claims.

It is still just a hobby; I don't want to get into big numbers with commercial risks - retired too long ago for all that!

Wayne
Wayne Giles is offline Find More Posts by Wayne Giles
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:29 AM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I will go one step further. I would like the ESR meter to be used by all battery makers / distributors and drop the phony "C" ratings that proliferate the market.
Interestingly, I know of one lipo seller who is having cells made for his own packs and is trying to get the cell manufacturer to select the cells with the ESR meter. Needless to say he is meeting with all sorts of obstructive excuses why they can't!

Wayne
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:03 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
822 Posts
Can you make them smaller? I'd buy another one if it was around 1/2 the size!

Can I change my original(with the switch to select cell/pack mode) to automatic select? Or is there a software difference also?
biskit is offline Find More Posts by biskit
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:18 PM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biskit View Post
Can you make them smaller? I'd buy another one if it was around 1/2 the size!

Can I change my original(with the switch to select cell/pack mode) to automatic select? Or is there a software difference also?
Biskit,

The only way to make them smaller would involve a major re-engineering which would be a major cost . Just a hobby project, remember.

It is possible to convert your switched unit to Auto, but it requires a lot of work and some risk. You would need to add a fair amount of circuitry on a stripboard and shoehorn it into the case. I did it to build the prototype Auto version so I know it can be done but don't take it on lightly.
PM me if you want details.

Wayne
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:25 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Giles View Post
Interestingly, I know of one lipo seller who is having cells made for his own packs and is trying to get the cell manufacturer to select the cells with the ESR meter. Needless to say he is meeting with all sorts of obstructive excuses why they can't!

Wayne
I am not surprised, just disappointed in lipo makers not supporting a reasonable way of judging the quality of their cells.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:48 AM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,383 Posts
+1 on that
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big fpv weekend
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:50 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,902 Posts
I'm sure an objective standard would frighten the bottom-dwellers!