HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2014, 03:50 PM
United States, WY, Gillette
Joined Oct 2008
159 Posts
Discussion
radian

well ive got to admit somewhere that im an idiot.ive looked at the radian eversince it came out.read about all the posts on it and i keep on ignoring it. even after the guys i learn from on here kept sayin how good it flew.it just looked ugly to me.WELL I BOUGHT ONE AND DID A FEW OF THE MODS THAT MISTER NATON MENTIONED AND THIS IS A CLEVER LITTLE SAILPLANE.it out preformed everything ive had.spirit,spirit elite, gentle lady,riser,drifter2.the bird of time is still a better ship but not by muchi bought the pro a couple yrs ago and like it but thermal?this thing is better.im starting to think it looks prettygood to.so i apologise for tryin my best not to buyone.bob
ratlm is offline Find More Posts by ratlm
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2014, 04:35 PM
United Kingdom, England, Keighley
Joined Nov 2012
296 Posts
Glad to hear you like it Bob - I took mine for her maiden mine today and love it too! Such a good little sailplane. Simple and just right

Pushed the CG back a little and it glides forever. So glad I bought one now. I should have started with this, it's worth every penny.

Oh and top tip - break your posts up into little paragraphs - make it miles easier on the eye
Cheers
Stu L is offline Find More Posts by Stu L
Old Sep 07, 2014, 04:50 PM
Fair Winds to all
United States, MN, Faribault
Joined Jun 2001
324 Posts
Bob,
If you really enjoy the soaring aspect, try an ALS (Altitude Limiter Switch) throttle cut-off with it, (or just use self control) and only give yourself 30secs of motor run and you'll be amazed at how long your can soar that Radian. I think I read where one of the SSP (Sportsman's Soaring Program) guys did his Copper level with a Radian, or most of it anyway.
dgoebel is offline Find More Posts by dgoebel
Old Sep 07, 2014, 09:56 PM
United States, WY, Gillette
Joined Oct 2008
159 Posts
radian

yup its great.for the last 3 yrs ive been giving my sailplanes 20sec. run times or using a bungee.on some flights i have to usethe motor to get back.lots of wind in gillette, wyoming.thats about all i do is soar.the rest seems pretty boring compared to all that goes in to stayin up for 2 hrs.oh buythe way.if i could figureout how to make a paragraph id doit. have to get one of my kids to teach me.
ratlm is offline Find More Posts by ratlm
Old Sep 08, 2014, 01:56 AM
Joined Nov 2012
296 Posts
Hit enter when you want a gap

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-T1-layout.jpg
Old Sep 08, 2014, 09:03 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoebel View Post
Bob,
I think I read where one of the SSP (Sportsman's Soaring Program) guys did his Copper level with a Radian, or most of it anyway.
That's me.

I did a good share of Copper and all of Bronze except the 1k G&R and 45 minute flight with the Radian ( I still have those to do). I have way more expensive and nicer planes like an Ava, Icon, Proton, Falcon 880, etc. My goal was to show that the program could be done with a cheap & simple plane as well.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Sep 08, 2014, 12:04 PM
Joined Nov 2012
296 Posts
Fantastic Steve, that's inspiring - I might look into the program
Old Sep 08, 2014, 11:13 PM
Fair Winds to all
Joined Jun 2001
324 Posts
Steve, That sounds like a worthy SSP challenge,

How many levels of the SSP can a Radian be used to complete.
Stock Radian
Or Paul Naton's tweaked radian????
Old Sep 09, 2014, 07:58 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Steve, That sounds like a worthy SSP challenge,

How many levels of the SSP can a Radian be used to complete.
Stock Radian
Or Paul Naton's tweaked radian????
Mine is one of the original Radians. It's bone stock except for the hardware which broke during building. It was replaced with DuBro. I could finish the Bronze Level with no problems if my eyes were a bit better. Altitude is your friend when doing long flights or the G&R. I'll admit, the Radian made it more of a challenge than what my Ava or the Falcon would have been. However it wasn't terrible either. Mostly I miss more landings due to not having glide control and it's harder for me to see so I don't fly it as high as my Ava and that can cost you at times.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Sep 09, 2014, 02:29 PM
Fair Winds to all
Joined Jun 2001
324 Posts
It was suggested to me that when I see I'm too high with my Radian coming in for my landing that I should waggle the rudder full stop to full stop to kind of burn of energy while landing. I'm going to start trying that this weekend with a landing target. It floats so well that I'm usually overshooting my landings and don't want to dork the nose in like the guys with Explorer's and Supra and such.
Old Sep 09, 2014, 03:26 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Quote:
It was suggested to me that when I see I'm too high with my Radian coming in for my landing that I should waggle the rudder full stop to full stop to kind of burn of energy while landing. I'm going to start trying that this weekend with a landing target. It floats so well that I'm usually overshooting my landings and don't want to dork the nose in like the guys with Explorer's and Supra and such.
Wagging the rudder back an forth full tilt works really well to bleed off altitude and speed,, there's guys who compete with radians in our club ( SVSS) who routinely score high landing points doings this plus a series of small controlled stalls. The Radian is an enigma,, at first glance you'd NEVER think it could fly as well as it does. There was a guy in our club who was in top 10 of ALES league points last year flying a RADIAN,, impressive!!
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Sep 09, 2014, 09:32 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
The Radian is good, but I don't think it flies better than, say, the GL or the Riser. Unless, possibly, it's a bit faster when needed. I once borrowed a Radian that had flaps installed. Very easy to land. I'm not sure what mixing was set up, or how big the flaps were. They looked a bit shorter than what a lot of models have, but I'm foggy on the details.

BTW, it's really funny to watch when someone puts a towhook on a Radian and winch launches it. Lots of bending! A light foot is required. That's not a flaw. The wing is strong and stiff enough when flown as an electric.
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member