SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 08, 2013, 09:05 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,311 Posts
Discussion
ESM F4U Corsair Color F 74" Wingspan Model ARF

I've read a few members are about to assemble this ARF. This thread is a place we can share info as we go. I am in the waiting for delivery stage

my plans include :
EVO35GT or PTE36 gas motor and sierra gear in hand.
What size tires fit this model?

What have you got in mind for your model?
Post questions and answers
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2013, 03:59 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I have a saito 170 radial for mine. Sierra retracts.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Dec 09, 2013, 05:18 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq View Post
I have a saito 170 radial for mine. Sierra retracts.
I'm jealous - watched about every radial corsair video on utube before I settled upon what I had
But I have the Sierras (by accident) and the kit has arrived today!

The stock tank is 550cc or 18.7 oz
Last edited by scootrb4; Dec 09, 2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 08:39 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,311 Posts
I see the 170 Saito weights 46oz (engine only)
My EVO35 weights 53
I have batteries, ignition, & muffler to add.

Does anybody know how much weight is required total to balance this plane out + or -?
I bought the mechanical tailwheel retract from eBay (2.2 oz)
The cowl is 8 inches across and 5.75 deep
This is about 1 inch wider than the CMP 75" model
Old Dec 09, 2013, 10:19 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I also have an onboard glow unit and 6v battery to go upfront
Old Dec 09, 2013, 10:36 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,311 Posts
I hope its a lawnmower battery
I have 2 6v 2000 mah for this plane they weigh 3.8 each. One ignition and one receiver.

But I don't know if all this weight will be needed up front. Once I get the motor on I can get an idea. I just wondered if anybody reading could say what it took to balance theirs.

And speaking of balance - where is the real CG?

At 8 inches wide this cowl would host a twin ......
Old Dec 09, 2013, 10:45 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,311 Posts
I saw on utube a gentleman had the DLE55 in it and said it balanced without added weight.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 AM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Friend has one with a saito 200 radial and he had to cantilever the rx and onboard glow 6v 2000's out over the engine for balance.
Last edited by kahloq; Dec 10, 2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 03:14 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,311 Posts
Saito 200 = 50.8 oz
Good to know.

6v 2000 mh & ignition about 4 oz
I don't know what the OBG system weighs
Old Dec 10, 2013, 07:10 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Onboard glow unit would weigh about the same as a CDI for a gas motor...almost the same size box. Lots of wires too...especially for a 3 cyl radial......so same basic weight as the wire plug/cap for a gas engine
Old Dec 10, 2013, 08:27 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,311 Posts
Sounds like I'm going to end up a little heavy and I probably won't need 'everything' ahead of the FW - good news for the retractable tail wheel idea. My wife is gone for 3 days, the F4U sits on the kitchen table - LOL
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:59 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Sep 2010
165 Posts
G'day all,
I have had my ESM Corsair for a month or two so far, the Engine is a DLA35 RA, will be using the ESM Air retracts, other than that JR radio gear.
So far I have the Rudder and Elevators fitted and working, I used Pull, Pull for the Rudder, but I use 2 servos and C/F push rods for the Elevators, all connections are internal.
The Engine is fitted, Cowl is on, I fit the Cowl first, then get the Engine lined up with the Cowl, then fit the engine, beef up the inside of the firewall with F/Glass.
I changed the fuel tank position, lifted it higher in the fuselage and moved it rearward, closer to the CofG
Flaps, I didnt like the look of the Kit system, I found info on RCU by P-51 Tom, and used something like that, a bit complicated but more scale, they are on and working, I used a web between each of the Flaps.
Not sure about a retract tail wheel as yet, I am looking at fitting main Wheel doors, something simple, spring open then when the wheels retract they pull them closed.
I like the ESM 72 inch range of models, have the P-47, DLE 30, the P-51B with an RCG 30, the Typhoon with an RCG 30, had the Spitfire, but it died, waiting for them to come in stock again.
I hope to fly the Corsair before Xmas, will post some photos of it before then,
Oldtimer.
oldtimer47 is offline Find More Posts by oldtimer47
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:42 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer47 View Post
G'day all,
I have had my ESM Corsair for a month or two so far, the Engine is a DLA35 RA, will be using the ESM Air retracts, other than that JR radio gear.
So far I have the Rudder and Elevators fitted and working, I used Pull, Pull for the Rudder, but I use 2 servos and C/F push rods for the Elevators, all connections are internal.
The Engine is fitted, Cowl is on, I fit the Cowl first, then get the Engine lined up with the Cowl, then fit the engine, beef up the inside of the firewall with F/Glass.
I changed the fuel tank position, lifted it higher in the fuselage and moved it rearward, closer to the CofG
Flaps, I didnt like the look of the Kit system, I found info on RCU by P-51 Tom, and used something like that, a bit complicated but more scale, they are on and working, I used a web between each of the Flaps.
Not sure about a retract tail wheel as yet, I am looking at fitting main Wheel doors, something simple, spring open then when the wheels retract they pull them closed.
I like the ESM 72 inch range of models, have the P-47, DLE 30, the P-51B with an RCG 30, the Typhoon with an RCG 30, had the Spitfire, but it died, waiting for them to come in stock again.
I hope to fly the Corsair before Xmas, will post some photos of it before then,
Oldtimer.
Good to have your input. What CG are u using? Do you have a link to the flap mod at RCU? The tail retract I got is the same as sold on TBM.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 05:26 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Sep 2010
165 Posts
G'day, here is the link, almost the bottom of the page.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...orsair-48.html
as to CofG I will be going 100mm, maybe 105mm, same as I run on all the other ESM Kits, that way I know it will fly, I can move it after I have flown it. attached is a photo of the hinge setup I used.
Oldtimer
oldtimer47 is offline Find More Posts by oldtimer47
Old Dec 20, 2013, 02:30 AM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Sep 2012
550 Posts
I just picked one of these up today. Not sure if I'm ready to dive into it. Where will I stop???
BDK74 is offline Find More Posts by BDK74